PDA

View Full Version : Potential Allergies Dilemma

Daisy De
13-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Just after some opinions.

Parent came round last night for a second visit bringing her husband round to meet me. Its a full-time, 50 hour contract which would be great for me as I am on my own and would mean a break from my usual financial pressure.

However, they mentioned for the first time lo may have food allergies, he is apparantly already showing signs. There are severe food allergies in the family, including Dad although not so severe as other family members. This does not really worry me too much as I do not provide food and as long as I know what lo is allergic too, hopefully it can be avoided.

I asked whether there were pet allergies in the family, they had not mentioned this, I have two dogs and two cats. They said there are including Dad although not very severe in his case and neither Dad or lol reacted in my house.

I feel in a bit of a dilemma though because my animals are with the children during the day. Part of me thinks what are they doing even considering me as they must be as its a second visit. I know they have already seen quite a few childminders and there is a lot of choice in my area.

Part of me thinks I should back out now and suggest they choose someone else, even the food allergies are worrying me a little as if it is something like nuts I may have a problem with what food other children bring. The other part of me thinks I should see what happens as childcare is not needed until July so there is time to see how lo reacts to my setting.

Another thought is going through all this because its a big contract only to find its not viable and potentially losing out on someone else. I do need to fill the space and although I am prepared to wait till July for a full-timer is this the right thing to do. :panic:

loocyloo
13-04-2013, 09:57 AM
i used to mind a LO ( 14 months when started with me ) with severe food allergies ( when LO was a little babe, if mum even ate a piece of cheese and then breathed over babe she had a reaction! ) but she could eat all fruit & veg. we just had to be careful with other foods. i would prepare LO food first ( she only had lunch/snacks with me ) and then everyone elses. she then sat out of reach of everyone elses food! i had several chats with her care team at the hospital and was trained to use the epipen. i used to have 2 permenantly at my house and Lo always came with 2 in her bag which i took everywhere with me, as it had all her snacks etc.

LO also had allergies to cats ... we had a cat, but it was mild and mum wanted LO to stay in contact with a cat, so her body got used to it ???

i used to panic and worry about it to start with ( LO came 2 days a week ) but after a few weeks i got used to it and everyone that we saw on a regular basis knew that LO had allergies and that they must not offer her anything and pick up anything dropped etc.

i found the care team/nurse very helpful and reassuring and there was always someone at the end of the phone. they said to me, that if i was ever in any doubt IF there was a reaction to use the epipen and call 999. they said that using the epipen early was the best thing and if it turned out Lo hadn't needed it, better safe than sorry. i cared for LO for about 8 mths, and never saw LO have a reaction in my house. ( i think i was lucky as LO did have reactions with mum during that time! )

ask to have a chat with the care team and good luck.

sarah707
13-04-2013, 10:00 AM
I have cared for children with multiple allergies over the years including my own son. It's not that hard once you have procedures in place to support them tbh.

Food - ask other parents 'please do not send peanuts (or whatever) in your child's lunch box because we have a child with allergies'... sit the child where s/he cannot grab from other children's plates... be aware of cross contamination when preparing food - hand washing etc.

animals - doctors often prescribe low dose ongoing medication or parents might prefer to take advice and get homeopathic tablets which will help the child... steam clean furnishings and floor coverings regularly... mop and damp dust surfaces... those sorts of things.

Try not to see it as a barrier to caring for the child - rather a challenge. You can learn from the parents and your own research and use your growing knowledge to support not just this child but others with allergies who might come along in the future.

Hth :D

Daisy De
14-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the replies lots of helpful advice.

I'm not really too worried about the food allergies, have dealt with mild ones in the past and I think with forethought, knowledge and precautions in place they would be manageable.

More concerned about the potential pet allergy, personally as a mother I wouldn't want my child on long term medication even a low dose when they could go elsewhere to a pet free environment. We are a very animalified household so I do think if lo has a pet allergy here is not the place for him.

Will just wait and see what parents say and if they want him to come here some prolonged dog/cat exposure will have to take place to see whether it is feasible. He may not have any reaction to them at all.

I will say no to having him if I think my setting is not the right place but take it as a compliment that they were willing to try.