PDA

View Full Version : Minding for "friends"

Essbops
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Hello me again!
Well I've had a day of it! My so called friend book her child in for Easter and then cancelled that's fine I thought her kid is a bit of a nightmare. Anyway she then phones to tell me she can not afford to pay for any of the holiday, I said its not fair when I've held a space and turned away work well it ended in "you should do it as a favour if ur my friend it's not like you have a real job"
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I then responded with a real friend wouldn't be so rude and put phone down :-/
I'm fumming I'm guessing she doesn't go work for free!
I did get a contract with her but am I being harsh if I point out I could take her court if she won't pay.
How do you handle this

step11
12-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Though one! How much does she owe you? I would let her know that she has signed a contract and if she doesn't pay then you will need to take action like you would to anyone else. That's no friend!

Essbops
12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
About £50 I can live without the money but I literally gave up some work so I could have her child. So doesn't understand I'm not being mean but if I have her kid for free it stops me taking on work due to ratios. Think I'm gonna give up this childcare malarkey before I've really begun

margaret
12-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Would never childmind for friends.If the child is a nigtmare possibly best if you dont mind for her.If she was a real friend she would find the money and pay you the hols,she obviously sees you as a pushover .If i was you i would sit down and explain the contract she has signed explain that youre running business if she still doesnt see it and want to pay youre well rid of her - notch it up as experience.Or you could go down the route of trying to get the money from her , do you think you are likely to get it ,do you value her friendship.Always ask for payment in advance ,people seem to take you more professionally then.

merry
12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Have you worked any of the holiday for her? If so I would insist on being paid for at least those days, if not I'd just put it down to experience and next time get money upfront as soon as the days are booked, and I wouldn't even consider working with her again, no matter how desperate she was, you don't need 'friends' like that:angry: There are decent parents out there who will value what you do, try not to let one selfish thoughtless person put you off.

Essbops
12-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Yes I worked 2 full days already discounted. It just seems like she knew that she didn't have the money. Guess she thinks im a mug. Once bitten twice shy and all that!

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Tell her that you expect her to pay what she owes you and honour the deal you had

point out that this is your job and you dont expect that she would go to work for nothing

then leave it and dont get drawn into nasty tit for tat

yes its just 2 friends falling out , but you also have a contract with her and if you do not act professionally she could use it against you , contact ofsted etc

treat it as a lesson learnt and always , always get paid in advance in future