PDA

View Full Version : Tantrums??

littleDs31
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Just wondering how everyone deals with tantrums? Lo has grumpy knickers on today :(

step11
12-04-2013, 03:20 PM
I ignore them. My son is 18 months and throws them. Or you can throw one to hehe just like the advert hehe.

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 03:25 PM
i mind a 3 yr old who has monster tantrums , has done pretty much from day one

firstly after i got over the shock , I tried talking , cuddling (thought it was a settling in thing) reassuring etc which all made her even more furious , i tried time out but she doesnt stay anywhere that i ask her to

so now I ignore her , i make sure im nearby and shes safe and i carry on as if shes not here , chat to the other children , set up an activity , serve dinner, whatever i was doing before it started

once i can hear that shes starting to calm down, i start engaging with her again,"are you ready to join in ?" sometimes this sets her off again , in which case i ignore again, but usually shes ready for a cuddle and says sorry to me without me even asking

shes a sweetheart but unfortunately shes been spoilt rotten at home and expects everything her way , mum shys away from conflict and gives in a lot i think

I have rules and she doesnt like it , but we are getting there

some children do respond to talking, reasoning , reassurance , so i would always try that first , and ignoring is the last resort

Tazmin68
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I will make you chuckle

When my youngest was 2 1/2 we were in school playground waiting for older children to come out. He has a wobbly in the playground when I wanted to put wrist strap back on as school is on a main road where a reception child once ran through gates and was run over. I had a call from ofsted 2 days later as someone made an anon complaint about a child having a tantrum. Needless to say that it was an experienced ofsted inspector who said that they had received a "rather stupid complaint which he felt did not need a visit just a call and could I clarify the situation" I explained and all was fine.

Dragonfly
12-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Can't believe somebody rang Ofsted over a child having a Tantrum, children do that even for child-minder's.:(

greanan
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Oh my god, can't believe someone called ofsted?!!!

RuthJ
12-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I mind a 20 month who sometimes tantrums, but this week has been awful! She's been asking for biscuits all week and when I say 'no biscuits' she has a complete meltdown! I rarely ever have biscuits in the house so not sure where this has suddenly come from!

I ignore usually. If I try to engage too soon it usually sets her off again so I let her calm down and come to me when she's ready. She was totally exhausted today after a week of it,and so am I!

Cannot believe someone would call ousted over a tantrum! Glad you had a sensible inspector!