PDA

View Full Version : DfE: Childminder agencies Statement of policy (12 April)

Simona
12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Just out today

childminder agencies statement of policy intention clause 73_001.pdf

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/c/childminder%20agencies%20statement%20of%20policy%2 0intention%20clause%2073_001.pdf

sarah707
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Thank you Simona - a little light reading for later! :D

mrstom
12-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I got to about page 8 before my brain switched off. I think I'll give it another go tomorrow when I'm not so Friday-ed out :)

Simona
12-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks for editing Sarah and putting right link...something was not working properly
Skimmed through it... it will require some reflection, some bits are truly worrying but then we knew the whole thing would be

Donkey
12-04-2013, 05:53 PM
**** waits for the sarah707 english version....

mummyMia
12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I've had a read through and copied and pasted some of the main points below for those who don't want to read the whole document:

No childminder will be forced to register with a childminder agency and can remain on the registers maintained by the Chief Inspector should they wish to do so.

Our aim is that childminder agencies will encourage more childminders to enter the market. Key objectives are also to support the training and development of childminders, provide a clearer way for parents to find and work with a suitable childminder, and improve the quality of provision.

Agencies will be self funded and independent of government. Although we expect agencies mainly to raise funds through charges to childminders, they will also be free to explore other funding streams, for example selling pedagogic materials or training to other providers

A person may not be registered with more than one childminder agency or with an agency and on one of the registers maintained by the Chief Inspector (to avoid “dual registration”).

It is our intention that the minimum requirements that childminders and other providers of care on domestic premises will have to meet in order to register with a childminder agency should be the same as for those providers seeking registration with the Chief Inspector

Cancellation, termination and suspension of registration with a Childminder Agency:
We envisage at the very least that agencies will be required to give notice of intention to cancel the registration of a provider and that the provider would be given a sufficient period of notice to make representations to the agency if he/she objects to cancellation of registration. We also anticipate that providers will be allowed a sufficient period of time between a cancellation decision and cancellation taking effect in order to make a fresh application for registration to another agency or to the Chief Inspector.

I think it also states in a very convoluted way that agency childminders will have to follow the same EYFS requirements.

shortstuff
12-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks mummymia. I have the jist of it now but will devote some time over the weekend to read it in full x

Sarsar3NCH
12-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks mummymia,

I'm not sure I like the part regarding if your reg is cancelled by an agency you would be given enough time to apply to another agency or to Ofsted/Chief Inspector. This seems ethically wrong to me.........surely that wouldn't happen currently would it?

Simona
12-04-2013, 07:25 PM
The only thing missing in this publication is Sir Michael Wilshaw's signature at the end...entirely his own work and warped vision!!
This will take cminding back 30 years!
There is a campaign going at present: Regulation Matters, run by Voice the Union!! they want all practitioners to be regulated while cms will be deregulated without any opposition and they cannot represent us!

ncma have said they will respond but I wonder if we will get any response for the other 3 associations representing cms: PLA, UKCMA and *******?
Please send this publication to your LA, cminding associations and cms who you feel may miss this...it is important all are aware what is coming...ask your LA to discuss it with cms

I am determined this is one issue of the reforms no one will sleep walk through...hope you feel the same?

watgem
12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
I've read it through very quickly so probably haven't got the facts completely right, but am left feeling confused, it seems that there will be very little difference between independant CMs and agency ones, except that they will pay fees to different bodies, and will be inspected by different bodies, however agency CMs will have their financial information forwarded to HMRC, so am not quite sure why the govt decided to do this iyswim? Still no information as to whether parents using independent CMs will still be able to pay using tax credits/vouchers, or independant CMS will be able to go through the accreditation process to become funded, and yes I feel it will take cms back to the days when my mum was a childminder in the 70's/early 80's, of course I may have completely misunderstood its friday night and I'm pooped lol

sarah707
12-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Thank you mummymia! :clapping:

I have to be honest, my get up and go for reading it got up and went :(

I will try and focus on it over the weekend but I don't see any big surprises and still think we are being drip fed twaddle.

Can we do anything with the Voice Simona? I don't know much about them tbh.

We need a strategy guys! Any ideas how you want the forum to tackle it for you? We will consider all options :D

watgem
12-04-2013, 08:44 PM
could we all join Unison and get them to do something? :)

lizann
12-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Thankyou mummymia
Like Sarah started reading went staight over my head using friday as an excuse lol

justgoodfriends
12-04-2013, 09:31 PM
http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/d/draft%20regulations%20-%20childminder%20agency%20registration.pdf

Arrangements for training and monitoring providers
16. The agency will secure a minimum of [16 hours’] continuous professional development per year for each registered provider.
17.—(1) The agency will secure a minimum of [20 hours’] contact time per registered provider per year.
(2) Contact time for the purposes of sub-paragraph (1) must include at least [two] visits to the relevant premises to assess the quality of provision on offer, at least one of which must be unannounced.
18. The agency will produce a written report of visits undertaken for the purposes of paragraph 17(2) and make a copy available—
(a) to the relevant provider, and
(b) to the parents of a child or children being cared for by the relevant provider.

Simona
12-04-2013, 09:43 PM
It will require reading when you are calm and rational...at some stage over the weekend
I have printed my copy and will go through it in detail
This is the one thing of MGC reforms that is directed specifically directed at cms ...it is neither required nor will it make any difference to cost to parents ..the aim is elsewhere
ncma and others, when they respond, may throw a light on it...ncma have today referred at 'Individual Inspection Matters' again...a bit late for the cause I fear?

Voice the Union will not touch us because of our status but it is ridiculous to exclude us while calling for 'Registration matters' for all providers (follow them on twitter @regulation_mc and start asking questions...I agree with their campaign but they cannot, in my view, be choosy, either we are all in or it is not fair)

As I have posted before other unions will cover us, Unite and GMB (Unison not for us), but only if a great number subscribe to them
I will resume my search there

This is the first clear indication of what agencies will be expected to do..it is clear and published in good time, consultation to come next but all looks pretty much in place...which may mean the consultation is another waste of time, all in the method used by the DfE...they decide we have little say because they cannot reverse the process when it is so well advanced

My view entirely of course

mummyMia
13-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks mummymia,

I'm not sure I like the part regarding if your reg is cancelled by an agency you would be given enough time to apply to another agency or to Ofsted/Chief Inspector. This seems ethically wrong to me.........surely that wouldn't happen currently would it?

From what I understood the agency can suspend a childminder immediately over a safeguarding concern. I think the bit about cancelling a childminder's registration applies if the agency wants to dismiss a childminder for some other reason, i.e. the childminder might not have done anything wrong.

The Juggler
13-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Simona I shared this on 3 FB groups today, 2 national and 1 local. Thanks.

Simona
14-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Have gone through this policy statement
It is obvious many 'models' are being considered and the DfE is open to suggestions for more in future as stated in 9 (p4)....community and social enterprise maybe 2 of the models

Also interesting is 4 (p3): agencies will encourage more cms into the 'market' so childcare is now a market ...they will support training and development...is this linked to ncma/Barnardo's partnership in the ABC Pathaway?

Agencies can set their own fees for cms, they can charge for their reports (22) they will raise funds by charges to cms, selling materials and training to other providers (7)
There is no mention of any fees to parents for approaching the agency but cms will pay for registration, training and marketing which it says cms already pay for (7)

If an agency requests an inspection to show improvement this will be paid by the agency and providers (20)

Ofsted will ensure the agencies are fit to assess the quality of childminding (24) It gives no idea what the expertise of those who run agencies should be, their qualifications or even that cms should know who runs the agency or model of agency?

Agencies will monitor cms via visits or contact time (what networks do now) (19)
What happens if a cm in London is registered with an agency in the North?

The agency issues a certificate of registration...so no Ofsted on it but the agency logo? (33)

There is a lot more and the bit about 'termination and suspension' of cms is tricky...no mention of a complaints procedure against the agency
(35). Will agencies have a Code of practice?
also how do they investigate allegations against a cm? what is their expertise in this area?
What are your questions?

Simona
14-04-2013, 05:33 PM
One thing I meant to add is that this document or policy seems to point to a lot of 'charges' to cms made by the agency or whatever, these will have to be passed on to parents?
so the cost to parents will not get lowered if they approach an agency?...well well that may be an advantage to 'independent' cms...without the middleman we may be the better option and more competitive??

This has cheered me up a bit so... onward thinking on how to promote our independence and sell ourselves to parents who, in addition, will have that precious Ofsted certificate and inspection to see not some agency certificate....
Even if the registration fee and inspection rise dramatically we can deal and plan for that???

Optimistic I know but we need to stay positive and my brain has gone into overdrive with ideas!!!!