PDA

View Full Version : All weather garden areas

kp0781
12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi we have a new house with a blank canvass garden. It is big enough to section off an area for the children. I am thinking of making it 'all weather' and wondered if anyone had any tips on what to use ? I'm thinking maybe artificial grass. Thanks

sarah707
12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I have a covered patio it makes a huge difference to our outside experiences.

You can see it on the photos page of my website - Knutsford Childminding | Sarah Neville - Registered Childminder (http://www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk/) :D

kp0781
12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks Sarah I think I will have to look later on my lap top and not on the phone. Really excited about getting a great out door space for the children. Minus the trampoline if you have seen my other post!!!!

Miss freckles
12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I have artificial grass, it's great for all weathers, I also have a section with lots of planters so we can still grow and dig etc. I would highly recommend artificial grass.

Tazmin68
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I have artificial turn as well from a company called nomow. Had it now for nearly three years really happy with it.

hectors house
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I spend ages over the Easter weekend moving a gravel path (the children loved driving diggers etc through it, digging in it and filling up empty squash bottles with it - but they also liked throwing it on the grass, my kitchen window now has several chips in it from when lawn mower has spun gravel at it) I felt really mean everytime they put gravel on the lawn nagging them, so I have moved all the gravel from the path to beside my garden shed which is on bark (no where near the grass) 5 boys aged from 1 to 6 years spent nearly 2 hours on Wednesday playing in the new gravel area - my husband is not so happy as now he has to block path the gap where the gravel path used to be!

So whether it be a free standing gravel area or semi contained in a builders tray (you can never fully contain anything) I recommend making room for some gravel in your new garden.

greanan
12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
I spend ages over the Easter weekend moving a gravel path (the children loved driving diggers etc through it, digging in it and filling up empty squash bottles with it - but they also liked throwing it on the grass, my kitchen window now has several chips in it from when lawn mower has spun gravel at it) I felt really mean everytime they put gravel on the lawn nagging them, so I have moved all the gravel from the path to beside my garden shed which is on bark (no where near the grass) 5 boys aged from 1 to 6 years spent nearly 2 hours on Wednesday playing in the new gravel area - my husband is not so happy as now he has to block path the gap where the gravel path used to be!

So whether it be a free standing gravel area or semi contained in a builders tray (you can never fully contain anything) I recommend making room for some gravel in your new garden.

I love this idea. I've loads of gravel in back garden but the children only use front garden, think ill need to have a few late nights moving it lol

Essbops
13-04-2013, 04:59 AM
When I get some money to change garden round I hope to put so artificial grass down think it is better than my current hardstanding

Sarsar3NCH
13-04-2013, 07:13 AM
I love the idea of artificial grass, mine is always so muddy, I'm getting a patio built at the end of April which I am really excited about but artificial grass would make the garden even more useable as my garden is really shady and the grass doesn't grow well or dry out easily

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 07:16 AM
We saw that B&Q were selling rolls of artificial grass this year, I wonder if this availability will drive down internet prices...it was £60 for, I think, a 2m by 4m roll...

FussyElmo
13-04-2013, 08:55 AM
We saw that B&Q were selling rolls of artificial grass this year, I wonder if this availability will drive down internet prices...it was £60 for, I think, a 2m by 4m roll...

Oh have you a link or did you see it in a shop

Tazmin68
13-04-2013, 09:28 AM
To put it down properly you have to put a layer of sand and also lay a pedal membrane and there is also special glue that is used to join together two peices of artificial turf. At least with it professionally done there cannot be any issues over the guarantee.

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 12:23 PM
We saw it in store, they had rolls of tape too, similar idea to carpet tape I think, to join two bits.

Now you mention it, there was no guide on how to lay it our trim it to size...B&Q usually good at that, I guess good old google and you tube may be pressed into service where budgets are tight!!!

PS Don't take the dimensions as gospel, I remember the cost clearly, but not the roll size, doh. :)

FussyElmo
13-04-2013, 12:28 PM
We saw it in store, they had rolls of tape too, similar idea to carpet tape I think, to join two bits.

Now you mention it, there was no guide on how to lay it our trim it to size...B&Q usually good at that, I guess good old google and you tube may be pressed into service where budgets are tight!!!

PS Don't take the dimensions as gospel, I remember the cost clearly, but not the roll size, doh. :)

Been online and I cant see it mmm wonder if dh wants a trip to the store. He hates mowing the lawn.

As for for fitting it how hard can it possibly be (famous last words) :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Good luck let us know hiw you get on! (And please, tell hubby I'm so sorry for unleashing this on him!!!!)

FussyElmo
13-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Good luck let us know hiw you get on! (And please, tell hubby I'm so sorry for unleashing this on him!!!!)

I actually think if he never has to mow the back garden again he will not be bothered - or is that me justifying things in my head again :rolleyes:

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 12:46 PM
He he, I love mowing. Satisfy's the neat and tidy bit of me and I can't hear my own kids fighting for five minutes!!!

hectors house
13-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Oh dear the gravel path that I dug up, that my husband one day will block pave has now turned into a deep puddle as has been raining here all day - hope it doesn't get any deeper or I will have to bail it out on Monday before the mindees can play out!

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Oh dear the gravel path that I dug up, that my husband one day will block pave has now turned into a deep puddle as has been raining here all day - hope it doesn't get any deeper or I will have to bail it out on Monday before the mindees can play out!

"Uh oh, you're in trouble" sings Messy going off for a chortle!!!!!;)

FussyElmo
13-04-2013, 06:13 PM

He is actually quite receptive to the idea apart from the cost :thumbsup:

kp0781
16-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all your ideas. Have looked at grass and I think it will be too expensive to do the whole area do going to have a re think

kel1983
16-04-2013, 09:36 AM
We looked at artificial grass. would have cost us a lot. Our lawn has been shredded by the dog over the winter and we are desperately trying to revive it for the nicer weather.

We have a large area decked and then a roof over top and a marquee side (removable) which runs the width of our house. Its straight out he lounge doors so perfect all year round. Have a look at my facebook page I have some photo on there https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=361036947297116&set=a.361036913963786.82815.133490116718468&type=1&theater. It has also become a great dumping ground and pushchair park.

Boris
16-04-2013, 10:16 AM
I have artificial grass. The drainage on our lawn meant it was pretty much out of action last year. I am very pleased with it, it's quick to dry, comfy to sit on and for babies to crawl on. I do miss mud a bit though!

kp0781
16-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Has anyone got the black outdoor matting with the holes in that the grass grows through? Looking online it says the grass grows as normal and you cut it as normal but it prevents the ground going boggy. Thinking at least I could take it up if needed and the lawn might recover.

nikkiv
16-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Has anyone got the black outdoor matting with the holes in that the grass grows through? Looking online it says the grass grows as normal and you cut it as normal but it prevents the ground going boggy. Thinking at least I could take it up if needed and the lawn might recover.

Like the sound of that our grass is boggy but we also have squirrels digging it up to contend with this my top them!

SammySplodger
16-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Brilliant! Did you happen to notice if they do the special underlay and levelling sand as well? I would be putting it on top of crazy paving which is not level. Really like the idea of fake lawn - quality has come on so much, can only really tell when you touch it.

SammySplodger
16-04-2013, 08:30 PM
I just found a link, here:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/flooring/carpet-carpet-tiles/artificial_grass/Buckingham-Artificial-Grass-W-2m-10877564

But, strangely it's not in the garden section, but Decor (?)

I think if it's put down over existing turf or weeds, you have to have a heavy duty permeable weed membrane / underlay and sand to level. There is a special type of sand which kills any weed seed/spores, so nothing can grown through it from above or below.

But at £15 per m, on a width of 2m, that's fairly cheap. Will seek out a sample at the weekend!

MessybutHappy
16-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Sorry Sammy, I didn't look! We'd put it down on uneven concrete, so I'd be interested to know what feedback you get!

SammySplodger
16-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't have a particularly large area to cover, so the companies doing supply & installation work out really expensive. Worth a go at doing it ourselves I think, at the B&Q price anyway :-)

Boris
17-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't have a particularly large area to cover, so the companies doing supply & installation work out really expensive. Worth a go at doing it ourselves I think, at the B&Q price anyway :-)

We had our fitted but I watched the guys doing it and it would be easy to do yourself. They put a black membrane down then hammered some wood around the edges of the lawn (about 2" x 2"), then put a layer of sand down, then rolled the grass over the top like a carpet and hammered nails into the wood. It took them a few hours to do the whole lot. My garden is an L shape but not huge.

SammySplodger
17-04-2013, 12:57 PM
We had our fitted but I watched the guys doing it and it would be easy to do yourself. They put a black membrane down then hammered some wood around the edges of the lawn (about 2" x 2"), then put a layer of sand down, then rolled the grass over the top like a carpet and hammered nails into the wood. It took them a few hours to do the whole lot. My garden is an L shape but not huge.

Thanks - yes that's what I thought. Ta for confirming. Apparently it's special sand, so might need to research that bit properly.
I only need approx 3m x 3m.
:-)