PDA

View Full Version : why do i feel guilty??

kindredspirits
02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
i have just spent 10 mins on the phone witha mum who is moving into the area, she wants 58 hours of childcare a month, and i said that it was unlikely i'd be able to help her as i need at least the equivilent of 1 full timer before i start working, i feel so bad about it, but DH thinks i should stick to my ground and hold out for full timers - whats the chance of getting them in an area thats supposed to be of high need??

chubbymummy
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
i haven't got any full timers and to be honest in the time that i've been registered 18 months i haven't even had an enquiry for full time. i'm actually full up at the moment too.

if i hadn't taken on the part timers i have i would still be waiting.

there's no reason for you to feel guilty. if thats what you want then it's your business to work the way you want to a degree.

fingers crossed that you will get a full timer

Lou
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
In the time i have been minding, i have only ever had 2 full timers (2nd started this week) its always been part timers for me too, and dont forget if you get enough part timers then they make it all up to full time money anyway. Also if you lose a full timer, obviously you lose a lot more money.

having said all that, you have no need to feel guilty at all, it is your business and you can decide what is best for you.

devoncm
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
You shouldnt feel guilty at all if thats the route you want to go down, but ive been doing it nearly a yr and have had no enquiries for full time either- but theres babies everywhere and some must want to go back to work,if you dont mind waiting for the full timers then stick with it

miffy
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Don't feel guilty if it's not what you want to do.

If you can afford to wait for a full timer and it's what you want then that's fine.

Hope one comes along soon

Miffy xx

Hannahlg
02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
we have 5 children are under 5 at the moment 2 are full time

1 comes 8.15am till 2pm
1 comes 7.30am till 4pm

2 come 2 days a week

1 comes 3 days a week

got 1 starting in septmber 2 days a week
got 2 starting in october 2 days a week

sarah707
02-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I have 7 part timers on my books ... not had a full time enquiry for years!

But if that's the way you want to go, then stick with it! :D

Jinx
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
My first mindee who started in september at 6 mths old is full time. (45hrs a week.)
I have another little one starting this september.(40hrs a week.)

Talking to my minder friends though it appears that I have been VERY luck getting 2 full timers!

I do worry about my full timer leaving and my income plumetting dramatically.
If either leaves I would happily take on more part timers instead. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

sarah32
02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I have the same worry with only having 3 full times, two of them siblings and if one of my mums gave up work this would drastically reduce my earning.

angeldelight
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I have 2 full timers and the rest are part timers

I think its up to you if you can hold out but like its been said part timers can make your money up the same if there is a few of them

Personally though If I did not have my full timers I would still take on whatever I could just incase one never came along

Angel xx

Chimps Childminding
03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Mine are all part time. Not had a full time enquiry since I can't remember when. Part timers are ok, I have 5 of them - 4 come 2 days a week and the 5th comes 3 days - but its best if they are full days, its very difficult to find someone to make up a day is someone wants mornings or afternoons! :thumbsup:

Michelle M
03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I have part timers in the afternoons (just the way its worked out not my choice) with 3 mindees under 3 and then I have my 15 month old and my 7 year old, plus and after schooler on Mondays. It can be a pain because I have to go to School to collect my older daughter, so we dont get to go out much :)

Heaven Scent
03-07-2008, 08:24 PM
My first enquiry was for a fri and sat 4.30 - 10 I had to take it as I felt I'd bring on bad luck if I didn't and after that I got a baby 2 days per week and they both started in the middle of last Sept then I got the enquiry I really wanted 2 fulltimers - siblings 7.30 - 18.00 Mon - Fri from Mid Oct last and boys the mum is a mum from hell - they now pay on time - only since april - she's a real control freak and never stops moaning. I charge them a weekly rate - less than hourly then give 20% disc for older child and that equates to 2.50 per hour per child and my normal hourly rate is 3.50 per hour so P/timers can sometimes make up your money more quickly. I also had a friends children on a temp basis for a few months when my registration first came through and they left in March I only charged her an absolute pittence for her 2 and my friend gave me the run around a bit so it wasn't worth the trouble - I think the better deal you give someone the worse they treat you. They just have no value on your service.

I have also taken on a holiday only child without a retainer to keep the place open just for an extra few bob in the hols. Then I got 2 sisters P/T one full days and a part day and even give a disc for day when she is at PG all day and the other before and after school so its worked out well These started in April I also have another P/Timer who I can have any day of the week incl Sat or Sun for a couple of odd hours when I can fit her in and she is ok for a few extra bob.

I have just signed up a boy with aspergers who will be starting at the local high school in Sept 5 days and another for the school I already collect from 2 days so it is like fitting a jigsaw together but its good. I had to take on all these part timers because if my F/T mum ever pushes me to the point where I blow and tell her where to go with her kids then I will still have some income until I secure more contracts. I have to say I've asked for 8 weeks notice either side for 2 F/T children Its hard to fill and find spaces for 2 children.

kindredspirits
03-07-2008, 08:34 PM
thanks for the replies - i am getting my head around it. i think the problem is, as i've mentioned before, until i start earning i'm getting incapacity benefit so i really need to earn at least £100 per week when i start or its not worth doing it. when i start my after schoolers in september i think i will take on some part timers if i haven't got any full timers.

anna x

Mollymop
03-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I see what you mean, but look at it this way once you start minding you will find you get more enquiries, alot of parents like to see that you have a mindee already and to be quite honest from what I have heard most people have lots of part timers as apposed to full timers.

I have 3 part timers and bring in a wage of nearly £900 a month and I have only been minding for 2 months.

Maybe taking this child on and working would be a good step for you

Good luck hun.x

Heaven Scent
06-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Phew Sandra how do you manage to earn that with only 3 P/T mindees - the rate must be bl**dy high in your area I think I'll move there. - any houses in your road for sale??????:laughing: :laughing: