PDA

View Full Version : First meetings

sprinkles
11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
What do you do at your first meeting? I've only met one parent and had a pretty informal chat as I wasn't registered but I've got two parents visiting tomorrow and am wondering what you usually do?

Do you just interact with child while parent looks through info folder? At my first meeting her eldest was asleep in the car outside so I met baby, then she went to check on eldest so I took little one into playroom and found some toys. Then just chatted really.

How do you progress with meeting? I don't want to be like "well, will I get the contracts?" :laughing:

I'm going to make up some packs with a little info and the child information and all about me forms in to take away in case they do want to sign a contract.

moggy
11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
What do you do at your first meeting? I've only met one parent and had a pretty informal chat as I wasn't registered but I've got two parents visiting tomorrow and am wondering what you usually do?

Do you just interact with child while parent looks through info folder? At my first meeting her eldest was asleep in the car outside so I met baby, then she went to check on eldest so I took little one into playroom and found some toys. Then just chatted really.

How do you progress with meeting? I don't want to be like "well, will I get the contracts?" :laughing:

I'm going to make up some packs with a little info and the child information and all about me forms in to take away in case they do want to sign a contract.

Yes, as you said, chat, interact with child, folder to look through. Make sure you are clear with them on your fees at this stage, so no surprises for anyone later. Good to leave it as 'have a think about it, get back to me if you have any questions, you're welcome to come again for a second visit' and if it is the case that you need to know by a certain date then say so.

muffins
11-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Same as above but I say that I like to do contracts paperwork etc of an evening so that the kids aren't around, if they seem keen I make an appointment there & then otherwise I ask them to let me know within the next week so I dont give the space to someone else if they want it!

Just had some parents round on a first visit who have made an appointment to come back next Monday evening, she asked what the next step was as they wanted to go ahead so I knew where I stood!:clapping:

I have another set of parents for a first visit coming in about an hr so again I will just see how it goes!:D

Nicola Carlyle
11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I try and invite parents to look round on a quieter day. I find it let's them see me while I'm working and they get an idea of the daily runnings even if it is just for a short while. I have a general chat about who I am and what I do. I give a run through of what we do day to day and talk about daily diaries, learning journals, eyfs, at what stage in training i am etc. I Introduce my own children if they're there and show them round all the rooms we use. I answer any questions they may have and give them an information pack to take away with them and encourage them to get back in touch if there is anything at all they wish to discuss, ask, clarify etc. I do engage with the children and try to make them feel included and welcome and will get toys out for them if they wish. On leaving I tell them that if they do wish to sign contract that would entail another meeting (preferably when there are no children) and that it can take up to two hours depending on information and questions etc. I then say that I hope they find the I formation I have given them useful and I look forward to hearing from them soon.

Hope that helps. That's just how I do it but I live to hear how everyone else does it to so I can pinch ideas lol.