PDA

View Full Version : Register for assistant?

SimplyLucy
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
My mum started as my assistant this morning, I only need her a couple of days a week for half an hour before school as thats when I'm ove rmy numbers.

She signs in my vistors book when she arrives but should I be keeping a register aswell to prove that she was here at the times I had the extra child in my care?

Wendy Woo
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Im not sure but i would probably say yes. so u can cover the time that she comes in and out.

Pauline
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes I would get her to sign when she comes and goes. Also, if she has sole care at any time you need to keep a sole care log, listing when either of you have sole care of the children. e.g. you might have sole care of child A and B while taking them to school, and your mum would have sole care of child C and D in that time if she stayed home with them. Hope that makes sense. :)

It's all to cover things if there was a complaint or suspected abuse, everyone would know who was in charge of the child at the time.

We just have a desk diary and draw a line down the centre of the page and record times we have sole care and of which child.

Heaven Scent
03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know if mum of 4 still needs a variation if her mum is an assistant. You don't automatically have the right to have more children just because you have an assistant do you?

Pauline
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Does anyone know if mum of 4 still needs a variation if her mum is an assistant. You don't automatically have the right to have more children just because you have an assistant do you?

No it's not automatic, you have to have it agreed with Ofsted and it is written on your certificate.

hello kitty
18-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Aaaahhhh, do I need to write another letter to Ofsted asking them to increase my basic numbers now my dh is in the process of registering to be my assistant.

Do I need to sell it to them or can I just say "please let me mind more children every day". :huh:

Pauline
18-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Aaaahhhh, do I need to write another letter to Ofsted asking them to increase my basic numbers now my dh is in the process of registering to be my assistant.

Do I need to sell it to them or can I just say "please let me mind more children every day". :huh:

We were told by the main Ofsted office in Manchester, to write to our local office saying how many children we wanted to mind when working together (having considered the child/space ratio), an inspector phoned back and actually increased those numbers after speaking to us!

hello kitty
18-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks Pauline, will contact them again.