PDA

View Full Version : Possible surgery...how do i tell parents?

nipper
11-04-2013, 02:51 AM
I have had a knee problem since before Christmas which has got progressively worse. I knew something was wrong when I started having problems kneeling to change nappies ( which I know have to do sitting on the floor with my legs outstretched either side of the mat). Pushing a big double pushchair hasn't really done a great deal towards helping the problem either. I have been having weekly physio to try and ease it, all while waiting for the results of an MRI scan. GP visits, books tests to rule out rheumatoid arthritis (which it wasn't) and an x ray to identify possible osteo-arthritis of the knee cap have also taken place. This triggered a visit to the fracture climic and the subsequent MRI.
A few days ago I decided enough was enough and I needed a quicker answer as my childminding career is about to be affected possibly for the worse, so I decided to call on my private medical insurance because I need to know exactly where I stand with this (no pun intended). This is all on the back of having a week off at Easter, thus trying to get everything sorted out whilst I have no mindees around.

As you can probably tell i am a little fed up of playing the waiting game and looking things up on Google is a slippery slope, although I have a consultants appointment early next week, I suspect it might be my anterior cruciate ligament which it turns out is a pretty serious injury...lets just say that professional footballers usually have to take up to a year off depending on the severity. This also depends on whether it is partially torn or completely. Which leads me onto my question (what a build up)...

I know 'how' I tell my parents but the wider implications of this are just so far reaching I just can't get my head round it. The treatment for this is obviously surgery and more physio but not the sort of thing I can even begin to contemplate whilst childminding. How do I even begin to notify parents that I might have to give up albeit temporarily for the foreseeable future. Then starts the whole financial side of things. Has anyone had experience of having to give up childminding and have you made it back? Please tell me there is light on the other side or am I condemned to a desk job for the rest of my life.

The ironic side to all this is that earlier today I received an email from our new early years consultant (we've had such a big shake up here) who wants to come out and see me. By the time she actually gets here I might not be working. Ah well you have to look at the bright side.

CLL
11-04-2013, 05:58 AM
I have only just started minding so I have no constructive advice, sorry. But I hope all goes well and I am sure you can return to childminding when you feel up to it, even if you have to start again with all new children. Think of it as a fresh start and a chance to make any changes :)

helengreen13
11-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Hi, I am in the same situation. I have has a bad back for the last 20 years and had a slipped disc in my early 20s so there was always a weakness. I recently experienced pain in my shoulder and neck and presuming it stemmed from my back didn't really do anything. Then I had a routine MRI appointment (have them every 2 years) and got called in for the results. Was shocked as now have to have major neck fusion surgery and won't be able to lift for 3/4 months. I haven't told parent yet but I am staying open as I have assistants working for me so I will be here to supervise everyday but the two assistants will do all the lifting ect. I will be breaking even financially but at least I keep the business ticking over. When I have a date for the surgery (hopefully this week) I will tell parent that I will be taking a more supervisory role and that the two assistants will be working full time every day. Could you employ and Assistant?

Emra81
11-04-2013, 06:27 AM
I'm not minding yet so can't offer any advice on that side of things but I ripped my ACL completed a few years ago playing netball. It was extremely painful when I did it (have never sworn so much in my life!) but once the swelling went down it didn't hurt any more, just used to sort of give way on me. Altho I don't know of its any different if you just year it rather than rip it completely.

I had surgery to repair it in the end and they took ligaments out of my hamstring and screwed them into the place my ACL should've been....it sounds a lot worse than it was. Afterwards, the surgeon said it was stronger than most blokes' ACL's! I'm a primary school teacher (7-11 year olds) and had 6 weeks off school, by the end of which I was pretty much back to full capacity. I couldn't bend my leg completely for a good long while so had to sit with it stretched out whenever I sat on the floor but other than that it was fine, and I am literally on my feet all day. These days, if anything, my 'bad' leg is actually stronger than my other one after all the physio and strengthening exercises, and my bionic ACL!

Professional footballers put a lot more strain on their ligaments than us mere mortals hence needing to spend a lot of time getting back to full fitness. I don't think they even always operate to replace them these days unless you do a lot of sport..a friends teenage son ripped his playing rugby and they said if he wasn't planning to return to rugby, they would just do physio to strengthen the other muscles and leave it as it was.

I hope you get some answers soon and that whatever course of action you have to take doesn't adversely affect your business too much. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think. They initially thought that I'd damaged some cartilage so I had keyhole surgery to shave off any offending bits (surgeon was only in my knee for 10 mins as he could see instantly that my ACL was no longer attached!) but I was back to normal 2 weeks after that op so there is hope!

blue bear
11-04-2013, 06:37 AM
There are countless minders on here who take maternity leave which depending on their circumstances is a similar uncertain situation regarding time off and many bounce back so it can be done. There are others who finish minding for different reasons and then come back to the profession.

You need to do what is right for you, no point suffering on because you don't want to let families down then end up so bad you can't function. Good luck with your decision, easier said then done I'm sure. X