PDA

View Full Version : Can I or Can't I?

Tealady
10-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Due to two children of my own I can mind 4 Children two of which can be EY children. I currently mind a 2.5 year old and a 9 year old. I have been asked to have twins on an adhoc basis with a view to going contracted once parent's work patterns and nanny issues have settled. Twins are 3.5.

I didn't think I could have them due to them being New Business, but some CM's have said I can, due to them being twins and it coming down to Continuity of Care. I can't find any conclusive answers here and my DO is on Hol's. Parents need first Adhoc session before she gets back.

I bet I get different answers, but given that other threads have stated that if you ring Ofsted they just refer you back to the EYFS Document I don't know where to go next. I'd like to take them as 2.5 leaves end of May but don't want jeopardise my registration.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

christine e
10-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I say no as it is new business. It is my understanding that the exception for twins is if you had two spaces and the twins were under 1 then you would be able to have them when you would normally only be able to have one under one.

MiniKins
10-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Thankfully for ourselves we've never had to ask for clarification as all our past decisions have been clear cut as they have easily fitted the wider scope of both our allowances being childminder and assistant.

But, if we were unsure, I've never got on with the wording:

'If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met'.

I can't see how your ability to comply with that differs whether twins are new business or not, and don't understand why the phrase is included if the decision is not delegated.

When I was a manager if I gave such a vague instruction to my staff I wouldn't have felt I could penalise them if they made up their minds different to me…and if I was asked for clarification I would have respectfully helped them out.

Why Ofsted have changed to this (and other) non-specific wording (and offer non-specific help) is beyond me ~ proven by the fact that this question is asked so many times!

Like Ofsted, I'm not going to commit myself to a definitive answer!

…now can someone help me down from this high horse.

nikkiv
11-04-2013, 07:33 AM
'If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met'.

This is the exact quote Ofsted gave my friend! New business to have 4 under 5's until September until her son goes to school, so an overlap of 11 weeks! I phoned Ofsted they said she could and said the above and to risk assess and explain to all parents concerned! Our local improvement officer said no and I was wrong! We phoned again they said the local county should make the decision, she had gone on holiday so we phoned Ofsted again they said as enforce yes risk assess etc! All Ofsted calls are recorded so if you phone them log the date and time at least you can always refer to it!

Chatterbox Childcare
11-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Firstly - ARE YOU MAD :laughing::laughing::laughing:

the way I read the EYFS you could have the twins if

1. They were yours and just born

2. They are born to an existing family

Apart from that then no it is new business

adedwards68
11-04-2013, 07:57 AM
I would agree, no as they are new business and not to an existing family

Memina
11-04-2013, 07:58 AM
The revised eyfs is so vague.

I currently look after 5 under 5 every morning due to two part timers going full time and new sibling and old sibling changing days.

Im due to have a baby im june and was worried as this would mean when im back in Sept id have 6 under 5 until 2 every day.

Ofsted quoted the same as above and referred me to ey team at local authority. I telephoned them and they went through it with me stating that I could do it as its all continuity of care but should keep all risk assessments etc.

I have decided to take on an assistant as it seems crazy to me. I can probably cope as 3 are 4 yrs old going into nursery but think an assistant will save my sanity!

adedwards68
11-04-2013, 08:04 AM
In your situation they are siblings of mindees or your own, not new families