PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting Charges.... bit of a rant!

Tealady
10-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I've been advertising my vacancies on a local Facebook Group. I also advertise that I'm available for Babysitting. However, I've had about three enquiries the last few weeks but once I name my price, funnily enough I don't hear again.

Basically you can get a local teenager to sit at £5 per hour. You may have to pick-up and definitely drop home or pay for a cab. Rarely do they have first aid, aren't insured and may have little experience.

Going rate for CM is £4-£5 per hour per child. Minimum wage is £6.19 an hour. An Baby Sitter from agency would cost you at about £6.50, plus a fee for registering or an even higher rate and often have a minimum amount of hours that you would have to pay.

So when I've had an enquiry I've said that I would charge £7 to midnight. £9 after. I advise them that I am CRB'd, have first aid, insurance, own transport, maturity (I'm late 30's) and that I have 4.5 years as a childminder, 7 years as a parent and used to take 15-20 cub scouts away for whole weekends.

However I really think they expect me to charge the same as a teenager. One lady actually came back to the group and asked for anybody to babysit and that "I can pay £5 per hour". So she'd rather some random rather than somebody more official just to save a few bob. I'm not going to reduce my rate as I wouldn't be happy to give up my evening (especially a Saturday) for less. My mindees parent's happily pay this so I can't be taking the wee-wee. I just wonder what some people are actually thinking.

jo.jo76
10-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Is it one of those for sale type pages? If it's anything like my local one they are all wanting something for nothing as it is, so care for their child is probably thought of in just the same way! I won't advertise on our one for that reason. I certainly wouldn't drop my price, you are offering a reliable, professional service and parents that are looking for that will pay you what you are worth x

Bridey
10-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I would say its up to you. You can stick to your guns and not get the work, which is fine if you don't really need it, or lower your rate and become more competitive. Your insurance and training was not carried out to specifically babysit so it won't get you a premium rate, however it will get you the job above untrained teenagers. Its really down to how badly you need the income.

hectors house
10-04-2013, 06:41 PM
The thing about babysitting is you don't just need someone who is completely trustworthy and reliable to look after your children you also need to be able to go out without feeling that you have to hide your jewellery box and personal paperwork. I used to do babysitting for complete strangers when I was a teenager (many years ago) they knew nothing about me - admittedly the only cupboards I used to rummage through were the kitchen ones trying to find chocolate biscuits - but I could have ransacked the place, invited my friends round and drunk the contents of the drinks cabinet.

I don't think your rate is too high but there again have always had family nearby the babysit when my children were small so never had to pay out £30 plus whatever night out costs for meal or cinema or wedding reception.

Essbops
10-04-2013, 06:54 PM
I normally offer babysitting at £6 per hour with min of 3 hours if they prefer cheaper then I let them go elsewhere. I'm with you I wouldn't do it for any less

LauraS
10-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Tealady, I charge the same and have had the same sort of reactions from some. I had someone enquire wanting a babysitter that would do evenings for three under 5s for a few hours, plus the occasional weekend when he needed to go away abroad on business. I quoted babysitting rate for the weekends for 14 hours, then half price for the 'sleeping' hours (maybe being optimistic given three children under five, one of whom was a baby :rolleyes:) which came to £266 for the weekend, Friday evening to Sunday evening. I realise that's a lot of money but three small children and someone elses dog and home to look after for a whole weekend whilst parent is abroad is a big responsibility. Parent is at least degree educated and also professionally qualified due to the nature of their employment, so not daft...

The reply? ''That's rather a lot, I have had a girl quote me £30 per 24 hours, why so expensive? Would it be any cheaper to send them to yours for the weekend"

:laughing:. I quoted him my childminding weekend rate for the three children for a weekend which was, shall we say, just a bit more. Never heard back :rolleyes:

I think with some people, money is the bottom line. If they want to entrust their home and precious baby and toddlers to a teenager who charges £60 for a whole weekends care while they toddle off abroad, so be it. I couldn't rest easy if it were me.

Ripeberry
11-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Bottom line...Some people are just tight with their money and would rather spend the extra on themselves rather than the care of their children. :mad: