PDA

View Full Version : Mindees narly toenails

skatie
10-04-2013, 04:57 PM
My mindee's fingernails are always long, she is always scratching her face and pulling torn bits of nail off. I thought perhaps mum didn't like her fingernails to be too short as mum often commented that she had scratched herself but the fingernails still never got cut. Well, lo's toenails are hideously long too where they are starting to curl round the end of the toe. Surely mum must know. What would you do? This mum takes offence fairly easily eg. Couple of weeks ago LO had oral thrush, I asked mum if she was aware and mum had said no, then advised me that she had 'marched' LO to the pharmacy (as if to prove me wrong) and yes LO did have oral thrush. I don't want to now say by the way your lo's toenails badly need cutting. Should I do it myself or do you think mum will notice and still take offence?

smurfette
10-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Hmm had this In the past and I think it's a fine line as you say you don't want to cause offence! Lo I had it with apparently had a melt down at home so they left it , I didnt try as be actually didnt stay long

Maybe do her fingers could u say she accidental scratched someone else? Toes I would worry about that my girls all have one particular toe nail that bows over like that and I always worth they will get ingrown

margaret
10-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I would tell her that child had caught her toenail in in her sock when it was removed - how old is child. then just say something like there nails grow so quickly dont they ,i have to cut my kids nails every week. say it in a way she wont take offence ,i wouldnt cut nails without permission but you could suggest that you do it if she doesnt like doing it.A lot of parents are frightened that they hurt child.

jo.jo76
10-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I'd mention to Mum that she scratched someone and would she mind if you trimmed them, see what she says, if she seems ok, take it from there, it might be child is not keen on having them cut. I've got a LO who freaks out having his nails cut at home for Mum, but lets me do it with no problems. I do fingers and toes, they could easily become ingrowing if they're not cut

skatie
10-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I didn't think of it like that, perhaps LO doesn't like them being cut. But I think it has more to do with lack of time. I'd rather not cut her toenails as it makes me feel a bit queasy thinking of it, different when its your own kids. Knowing me I'll not say anything to mum for fear of upsetting her.

Essbops
10-04-2013, 07:08 PM
That's a hard one but I think you need to say something, I think the stuck on sock was a good one!

QualityCare
10-04-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry but its not our place to cut a childs nails with or without parents permission, what would happen if you accidentally nicked the childs skin and mum wasn't aware you were cutting her childs nails it leaves you open to all sorts of allegations, maybe a "x nails are getting a bit long aren't they" when mum picks up will draw her attention to it, if she says that she finds it hard to cut them suggest she does it once child is asleep.

Maza
10-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I've mentioned nails a couple of times to an old mindee because she kept (accidently) scratching my DD. This mum was okay though and wasn't at all offended. We occasionally had to ask parents too when I worked in schools. Just say, "I think her little finger nails and toe nails are ready for a cut". If you did say that she had scratched another mindee the mum might ask which mindee. or ask to see the scratch or apologise to the parents, so be careful! x

scottishlass
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
My eldest daughter who is now 10 used to be a nightmare do getting her nails cut when she was small - and her hair cut and going to the dentist!!

We used to do it anyway bit had to listen to her screaming the whole time!! Had to not get her hit cut for ages as poor hairdresser was scared to go near her!