PDA

View Full Version : Naptime bed wetting

smurfette
10-04-2013, 01:55 PM
N aged 3.5 wet the Travel cot . Again! At nap time . Happens about once a fortnight but its a nightmare cos I then have to wash sheets, blanket, the base and today a cushion. She was sitting up looking at a book when I went in and nonchalantly said 'I wet myself' she was soaked through and I had to change her before I could go on school run cos we were late. She has a very strong bladder, barely an accident since day one of potty training, and is dry apparently at naptime at home (though I don't think she often has a nap sleep routines aren't big in that house and I have her baby sister too) I think she uses a potty at home at night. I don't know to be honest if she was awake or asleep when she did it and she went to the loo right before Nap and it was only just over an hour of a nap. In the past she has sobbed quietly cos she needed the loo (once) and I have told her to call me one time not sob cos I didn't hear her and she sleeps in playroom with two others who I don't want disturbed

I'm not prepared to take her out of travel cot for naps as she doesn't always sleep but is happy to lie and rest and I don't want her wandering, I often have 3 or 4 napping at same time

Would like to put her in a pull up but don't imagine mum will be impressed. But I am not impressed with all the washing! Only other alternative is a baby monitor obviously I check them regularly but seem to always miss this .. I don't think she called me today though and feel it might have been deliberate/ attention seeking

Any advice??!

little chickee
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Pull up. Just for a few times, monitor if its wet or not when shw wakes.
If its wet i would put on a pull up for every nap until she is consistantly dry.

If she has previously been dry it could be just a blip.
I see no problem at all with a 3.5 yo being in a nap time or night time nappy.

I have known plenty kids who are not dry at nap/ night til 5 or 6.
Its not something the medical profession will even consider looking at til kids are at least 8.

little chickee
10-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Alternatively as she is 3.5 yo and you say she sometimes just rests instead of sleeping i would possibly consider letting her rest on the sofa or somewhere else where its easy for you to be with her.

she maybe could drop the actual sleep and you could react quickly if she needs a wee.

smurfette
10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks .. Will I tell mum or just do it? Just think she might be against it... Feeling Grr about this parent today. This morning she said to me 'n (same child) was up since 7 .. She wakes when dh goes out and wants to watch TV Til I get up and I don't know what to do about it .. I have turned off TV but she goes behind it to plug it in and I have resorted to an app on my phone I can control it with ... Erm... Get up with her?! 7 is not early she has a 12 Month old she is doing well to have her sleep Til 7! She breastfeeds and all night and the two little ones bed hop, wish she would get them into a routine and get here earlier she works from home and is booked 930-530, but never arrives before 950 and collects after 530, not enough to warrant a late fee but enough that she is not out the door and gone properly Til 545 .. Thinking about it might suggest even 915-515 if Lo is up early but don't think she will go for it!

smurfette
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Alternatively as she is 3.5 yo and you say she sometimes just rests instead of sleeping i would possibly consider letting her rest on the sofa or somewhere else where its easy for you to be with her.

she maybe could drop the actual sleep and you could react quickly if she needs a wee.

Sometimes I do pop her on couch and she sleeps and doesn't need loo but to be honest with four small ones all morning all under 3.5 , I am ready for a

mummyMia
10-04-2013, 02:39 PM
I definitely wouldn't want to have to wash out the base of the travel cot. Could you use a waterproof matress protector? If you have a mattress protector, sheet and a thin blanket (I use a fleece) all in similar colours then you can just throw them in one load of washing and it doesn't take up too much time. This is what I have done with my own children. :)

smurfette
10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Sometimes I do pop her on couch and she sleeps and doesn't need loo but to be honest with four small ones all morning all under 3.5 , I am ready for a

Sorry pressed send by mistake! I am ready for a break and can't boil kettle for tea have lunch in peace Etc!

smurfette
10-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I definitely wouldn't want to have to wash out the base of the travel cot. Could you use a waterproof matress protector? If you have a mattress protector, sheet and a thin blanket (I use a fleece) all in similar colours then you can just throw them in one load of washing and it doesn't take up too much time. This is what I have done with my own children. :)

Great idea thanks!

Katiekoo
10-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I use those absorbent, disposable travel changing mats, or have used those big square pads that stick down (I kept them for some reason after having dd) they use them at hospital, after birth to prevent blood on the sheets. They work very well, if you have a wriggler though it could get screwed up into a ball I guess. Good luck.

Helen79
10-04-2013, 06:07 PM
If she's used to getting up to use a potty then it might be confusing for her to not be able to get up for the potty. She might not want to shout in case she wakes up the little ones (she may have been told not to shout at home if she has a baby sister). It sounds like the different sleep routines between home and your house are confusing for her.

Her wetting might be her way of telling you she doesn't want to be in a cot anymore, my children would have felt babyfied at being put in a cot at that age and wouldn't have liked it especially if they didn't need a sleep.

I'd let her have a rest downstairs on the sofa with a potty nearby just in case. That way you can still get your lunch and a break but she'll feel more comfortable.

jo.jo76
10-04-2013, 06:17 PM
As she's in a cot and not able to get out she's probably wetting because she can't get out to get to a toilet or potty? Could she not have the mat on the floor with a potty near by?
I also use a waterproof sheet so don't have to clean base of cot, and fleece blankets easier as they are quickest to get dry

smurfette
10-04-2013, 07:23 PM
If she's used to getting up to use a potty then it might be confusing for her to not be able to get up for the potty. She might not want to shout in case she wakes up the little ones (she may have been told not to shout at home if she has a baby sister). It sounds like the different sleep routines between home and your house are confusing for her.

Her wetting might be her way of telling you she doesn't want to be in a cot anymore, my children would have felt babyfied at being put in a cot at that age and wouldn't have liked it especially if they didn't need a sleep.

I'd let her have a rest downstairs on the sofa with a potty nearby just in case. That way you can still get your lunch and a break but she'll feel more comfortable.

No she definitely needs the rest and most days a sleep (see above post re bed hopping!) sounds like from what mum has said to me this evening she has been trying to dissuade her from getting up at 7 even though she is awake so maybe she is rebelling a bit, my own kids would never have still been in cot still but I guess I figured it was what she was used to so I wouldn't rock the boat with new sister, and then new sister only just starting with me in the last couple of months. Might look at sleep mats instead and a potty

Thanks guys

smurfette
11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Well mum said on drop off that she didnt think little one was right. Seems to be different with little sis (could it be cos she is starting to walk now, sometimes that's a threat isn't it?) but they were just giving her lots of love. She drove me potty again this morning being bossy and wanting to 'help' (which annoyed 2 year old independent mindee!) but instead of like yesterday when I told her to go play and have fun and I would look after others I let her help in a suitable way.. Mum always worries that she won't be a child herself and wants her to forget about sister and relax! This did seem to help a little and then I put others all down for a sleep and had one on one story time with her , she was delighted with this, and put her on the chair to sleep (we have big rocking recliners) she is happily asleep now. Even if she wets its leather but I don't think she will she is usually ok the days I have done this. So we will see how we go, thanks all