PDA

View Full Version : CYPOP5, roughly how long did it take you all to complete?

Newtochildcare
10-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Clues in the title of this post I guess! I am going to begin this course soon. Doing part of it online, and attending one tutored session. I was wondering how long it has taken others to compete this course? I note from the OFSTED registration form that you can send ff your registration as long as you have booked on the course. So, does that mean that you can still be completing the course whilst the registration is processing? i.e, if the average time for registration is 12 weeks, and the course takes around 12 weeks (depending on how well I crack on with it!) I could in theory, be registered still within the same timescale?

Thanks!

shortstuff
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I took the full 6 months as i completed it around full time night shifts and running the home.

Newtochildcare
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your reply. Do you mind me asking, roughly how may hours a week you think you spend studying?

shortstuff
11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
In fairness i cant remember. I was reading on tea breaks and writing at home. Also some weeks i didnt look at it at all. Maybe 40/50 hours? But that is guesswork, sorry

CH1957
11-04-2013, 05:10 PM
It only took me an afternoon to complete the CYPOP5 unit of my Level 3 Diploma CYPW course - whole Level 3 CYPW course took 8 months but that was due to change of tutor (first one was hopeless, didnt mark anything!).

moggy
11-04-2013, 05:16 PM
It only took me an afternoon to complete the CYPOP5 unit of my Level 3 Diploma CYPW course - whole Level 3 CYPW course took 8 months but that was due to change of tutor (first one was hopeless, didnt mark anything!).

Likewise, as part of my Level 3 I did it in an evening. But I was an experienced CM by then, if I was starting from scratch with no prior knowledge of EYFS, safeguarding, legislation etc think it would have taken a bit longer.

oxfordshirecm
11-04-2013, 05:19 PM

It only took me an afternoon too but I had been childminding for at least 8 months by then. But I think the cypop5 course that's done on its on is actually much more in depth as my sister is doing it and is gonna take her about 6 months.

natalieatk
11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I had a year to do it from home, could have finished in a week! Lots of typing:paperwork and research to do!

moggy
11-04-2013, 07:10 PM
It only took me an afternoon too but I had been childminding for at least 8 months by then. But I think the cypop5 course that's done on its on is actually much more in depth as my sister is doing it and is gonna take her about 6 months.

That's interesting, I would have hoped a CYPOP5 was the same all over, any way you did it? Although it seems it is done in many different ways.

This is what I had to do for CYPOP5, as part of Level 3:

Unit CYPOP 5 (CT237) – Understand how to set up an home based childcare service
ACTIVITY 1 – RESEARCH/ ASSIGNMENT
1:1 Please Outline the current legislation covering home based childcare, and the role of regulatory bodies by completing the table below. (table provided with boxes such as EYFS, Food Standards Agency ‘Safer Food Better Business For Child Minders’ etc)
1:2. Develop policies and procedures for:
• Accidents, illness and emergencies
• Behaviour
• safeguarding
• equal opportunities and explain how these will be implemented.
Please write a policy for each of the above, and write a procedure to explain how each of the policies will be implemented
1:3. Explain the importance of confidentiality and data protection.
ACTIVITY 3 TASKS / PROJECT
1:4 Develop a marketing plan for own home based childcare service.
1:5 Demonstrate financial planning for own home based service by answering the following questions:
How do you ensure that your business is cost effective including tax, liabilities and insurance requirements?
How you ensure that your business is covering the legal financial requirements’ of running a business?
Explain the method of record keeping you use and the advantages of this against a different one (e.g. using an accountant as against completing your own records)
1:6 Identify sources of support and information for the setting up and running of your own home based childcare business.
ACTIVITY 4 RESEARCH / PROJECT
2.1, 2:2, 2:3, 2:4, 2:5
Please Produce a leaflet for parents/carers which, explains the following:
• the key components of a healthy and safe home based environment
• the principles of safe supervision of children in the home based setting and off site
• ways of ensuring that equipment is suitable for children and meets safety requirements
• where to obtain current guidance on health and safety risk assessment of the home based work setting
• how to store and administer medicines.
This can be submitted on a separate sheet is necessary
Please ensure you cover all of the points required.
ACTIVITY 6 TASKS
4:1. please explain how routines are based on:
• meeting a child’s needs
• Agreements with parents
• The Participation of children.
By completing the table below: (table provided with boxes such as Arrivals and departures, school run etc)
ACTIVITY 6 – QUESTIONS
4:2. Please now explain how you would adapt the routines listed in the above table to meet different ages and stages of children’s development
4:3. Please explain how you ensure each child is welcomed and valued in your home setting
ACTIVITY 7 PROJECT
5:1, 5:2, 5:3, 5:4, 5:5
Please write a section for your portfolio titled ‘Supporting equality and inclusion’ which would inform prospective parent(s)/carers and regulators of the following:
• An explanation of the importance of play to children’s learning and development, and
The need for an inclusive approach
• A plan showing a challenging and enjoyable learning environment in the home that
Includes using every day domestic routines and household items
• An explanation of what can be learned about children by observing them at play
• Identification of how and why it is important that children receive equal treatment and
Access, based on their individual needs and acknowledging their rights
• A comparison of how other resources available for children support their play.
This can be submitted on an additional piece of paper if required.
ACTIVITY 8 QUESTIONS
7:1 describe typical behaviours exhibited by children linked to their stage of development and key events in their lives
These may include;
• Toddler Tantrums
• Separation anxiety
7:2 explain how ground rules for behaviour and expectations are developed and implemented

How does that compare to other people's courses?

Little miss
11-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Moggy, I had the same as you to do and had 4 weeks to complete it - my deadline day was Boxing Day - needless to say I had a rubbish Christmas! Plus on top of that I had a 10 week evening course with more work to complete.
My cypop5 took more time and words than my degree dissertation!!