PDA

View Full Version : Teeth cleaning advice please!

MessybutHappy
10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Ten month old, develops lock jaw when a toothbrush is within a five metre radius!!! I've tried to clean in front of a mirror, playing games, still no joy! Am guessing repetition will be key so need to agree strategy with mum and stick to it! Thanks in advance...

Bridey
10-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Have you tried giving her the toothbrush to chew on?

MessybutHappy
10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I did, yes, turns out a toothbrush is actually a mini exocet missile!!! Was quite funny, but didn't quite achieve the objective. I'm not sure Mum needs to fuss too much, but she's determined that teeth will be cleaned, so I'm keen to help her find a way. I've suggested leaving it around as a chewing toy, using it in the bath, etc, but tbh after yesterday's performance can see that we're way off. I also said we may have to give it a break for a while and then try again with different method when the old associations are gone...

Helen79
10-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I know it's not recommended to brush straight after a meal but maybe just pop the toothbrush on his highchair after he's eaten his lunch/snack and let him play with it and he may end up just chewing on it by himself. Do you put toothpaste on it? Maybe he's tried it once and doesn't like the taste. Has mum tried one of the fruity toothpastes instead?
At this age I'd just leave it so it doesn't turn into a battle and let him brush them when he's ready. If mum is really concerned about his teeth then if he's a really heavy sleeper then she could give them a quick clean once he's asleep.

margaret
10-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I use a brush that i slip on to my finger its like a finger shield which i then put into childs mouth and brush - cant remember proper name but bought it in boots for 8mth old.If the child is teething it will not want brush forced into mouth

jo.jo76
10-04-2013, 06:06 PM
My daughter was like that, I used to have toothbrushes all over the place in an attempt to get her used to them, the shield ones are great as they have a teething bit on too. You could do a 'brush' treasure basket, toothbrush, nail, hair, washing up, pastry, things like that, it might be they're not keen on the feeling of the bristles, and needs to get used to how they feel

chriss
10-04-2013, 11:27 PM
the little finger brushes are great, like a rubber thimble....and what baby will NOT want to chew on a finger :laughing:

clareelizabeth1
11-04-2013, 12:28 AM
My daughter was like that, I used to have toothbrushes all over the place in an attempt to get her used to them, the shield ones are great as they have a teething bit on too. You could do a 'brush' treasure basket, toothbrush, nail, hair, washing up, pastry, things like that, it might be they're not keen on the feeling of the bristles, and needs to get used to how they feel

This is a great idea. Can include clothes brush.

MessybutHappy
11-04-2013, 07:05 AM
You guys are brilliant! I love the idea of a brush treasure basket (lots of missiles!!!) and I'll suggest the finger thingy to Mum. Thank you!