PDA

View Full Version : Snack ideas??

littleDs31
10-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Really stuck with ideas for snacks for a child who won't eat fruit, any suggestions?? :s

smurfette
10-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Have the same at the moment , little fella aged 2 used to eat everything and now is getting picky! If I give him fruit he just holds it in his mouth and cries, he can do it for hours so I just don't bother now! Same with raw veg but will eat it ok in dinner

I give him yoghurt, pots of rice / custard, breadsticks , crackers, toast, and sometimes he will eat strawberries / blue berries , liga , little
Pots of cereal like Cheerios .. It doesn't seem like much variety when u can't stick some fruit in it! Was
Wondering today about smoothies either home made or shop bought if he would drink them but I don't often buy them for my girls as they cost so much so not gonna buy them for him!!

christine e
10-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Breadsticks, crumpets, toast, rice cakes, crackers, cheese cubes, pasta, yoghurt, plain scones, cheese scones, cheese straws, dips

Kevin1964
10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Yogurt smoothie
low fat cheese spreed

christine e
10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=christine e;1236451]Breadsticks, crumpets, toast, rice cakes, crackers, cheese cubes, pasta, yoghurt, plain scones, cheese scones, cheese straws, dips[/QUOT

and if you could get away with it fruit loaf or malt loaf

christine e
10-04-2013, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=christine e;1236451]Breadsticks, crumpets, toast, rice cakes, crackers, cheese cubes, pasta, yoghurt, plain scones, cheese scones, cheese straws, dips[/QUOT

and if you could get away with it fruit loaf or malt loaf

and flapjack and could try disguising small bits of fruit in there maybe put some choc chips in and some raisins :laughing:

jackie 7
10-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Perhaps he is not hungry? I do very limited snacks as they don't eat a meal afterwards.

Nicola Carlyle
10-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Why not put a selection of fruit out and tell him to choose which one he would like? I do this with my after schoolers to get them to eat fruit instead if just telling them its apples today if you know what I mean.

It could be that he's not actually hungry. Maybe try cutting out the snack for a few data and see how that goes.

Take him to the shop to buy the fruit and involve him in choosing the ones he would like then take it home and eat it.

All just ideas. xxx

Tinkerbell1979
10-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Rice cakes, breadsticks with hummus, crumpet, milk rolls, toast, fromage frais, raisins, dried banana and apple slices (kids think they are crisps lol

lor
10-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I had one like this I involved him in choosing,washing and preparing
it worked xx

The Juggler
10-04-2013, 10:51 PM
i'd suggest smoothie or fruit purees in a yog pot. prob with yogs and custard as replacements is that they are quite high in sugar and are def. a sweet(er) option and just having these as snacks could result in a very sweet tooth. also they just won't offer the same nutrients as fruit or veg will (sorry, I know I'm preaching to the converted and you know all this already).

If he won't touch the fruit puree or smoothie, I would persevere with offering the fruit and/or carby or non sweet snacks. Offering a little of each to each child and let him eat what he wants. Its' probably a stage and offering yogs/custards will/might tempt the other children and they may become fussy eaters too. All mine at 2 ish have gone off certain fruits - sometimes go back to them and sometimes not but it's def. worth contining to offer without any of the pressure he has to eat it. :)