PDA

View Full Version : Mumsnet founder thinks govt attitude to childcare is baffling

Simona
09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
She is not the only one!!
Founder of Mumsnet website says government attitude to childcare is (http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/founder_of_mumsnet_website_says_government_attitud e_to_childcare_is_baffling_1_2003979)

SammySplodger
09-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Good to see this. Maybe the message is getting through?

We need a few more individuals with 'clout' to highlight the current situation.

Simona
10-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I do have some reservations about this 'most influential' mum's concerns about the govt childcare reforms...don't we love to attach label to everything that moves??? is she that influential?

Why does she not express her concerns at what could happen with the higher ratios...is she concerned at the drop in quality in the care of the children? the reduction in space?
is she concerned that nursery workers are barely paid the minimum wage? and some cms charge as little as £3.50 ph? does she mention the pitiful amount some LAs pay for the FE while 'apparently' creaming off money that should reach providers?

Roberts mentions the crippling cost of childcare without one bit of reference as to the cost of delivering high quality for providers? the cost of living has affected us as well not just the women out there

She quotes £250 pw for full time care...assuming she means 50 hours per week that is £5 ph...hardly crippling
That would also mean £1000 per month....take away 2 lots of c/vouchers (£486)...that bill would cost a couple £514 per month??? so just over £200 per parent?
she too assumes that childcare is only relevant to women...surely it is a shared expense by both mother and father....

So I am sorry that I do not agree with her concerns....

SammySplodger
10-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes I know she didn't focus in quite the right way - but at least she's flagging up that there is an issue.

I'm still finding most parents are not aware about what is going on. :-(