PDA

View Full Version : Dilema, advice would be appreciated

skatie
09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
After really struggling for business for 6 months I finally bit the bullet and spent money on advertising business cards, postcards, fridge magnets etc. before they've even been delivered I have had 3 enquiries, typical! Anyhow, my problem is this, I have my own ds under 5. That leaves 2 places. My friend want me to have her dd under 5 full time which leaves me 1 other space (this is not confirmed as she is moving back to my town and depends whether her older dd gets into my older ds school) she has said she won't know until 15th. 1 enquiry is for shift work so I could get min 3 days a week, max 5 days but this will only be from Sept. 1 other enquiry is for 2 mornings building up to two full days a week to start immediately. I also mind for a friend 1 day a week on a Weds. Shift work people are visiting me Tues and 2 mornings a week lady is visiting me Thurs. do I;

A) keep Weds child and then take on the other child for 2 mornings a week = instant reward.
B) weds child cries a lot so tell mum I can have her until Sept (she will start 2 days at nursery in sept anyway) when shift worker child starts and tell 2 morning a week mum That I can have her child until September only.
C)Take on the shift workers child and ask for a deposit To keep the place until September. How much do you charge as a deposit and do you then knock that off the first months invoice?

This is all dependant on any of them actually taking a place with me, it's just a chicken and egg situation and I don't want to take on the wrong type of work like I did with my first mindee, 1 day a week on a Weds kind of makes it difficult to fill in around.

Eurgh! Brain hurts, am probably over thinking this. Any help, advice or comments on what you would do if you were in my shoes would be gratefully received.

christine e
09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry I found that a bit hard to follow (been a long day and I am rather tired lol) but what I would advise is to go with the first one who is prepared to sign a contract and start paying now.

Cx

chezzagriff
09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I understand your dilema as I have my own 2 children under 5 and I am also struggling. Would you be charging for a full time place as you will be saving one even when the September child doesnt attend? If so I would go for the September child providing you can wait until then for the income. If not go for the 2 day child as you can then offer 3 days to someone else.

SammySplodger
09-04-2013, 10:55 PM
It's very hard to juggle isn't it?!

I have had the same sort of issues previously, but would reiterate advice already given: don't count on anything until a contract is signed.

I have been in a situation previously where I was trying to fit 3 part timers together and one ended up changing their mind.

You live and learn :-/

MiniKins
10-04-2013, 09:11 AM
A lot of 'if…' and 'maybe…' but what about (if I understand it right!):

Take on 'instant' child for 2 mornings a week (assuming one of those is not Wednesday, coinciding with your friend's daughter) ~ if all comes to fruition and mornings turn into a full day, you will eventually have 3 full days from those two mindees, leaving a full time place and 2 extra days…

Am I correct in thinking that your other friend will give you a decision on Monday (15th) before you meet with the shift worker? Hopefully she will need you so the full time place gets taken leaving just the odd 2 days…

(Don't forget, you've just done some advertising so with any luck you'll end up with a new enquiry from a parent who will be happy to take the 2 spare days).

Depending on what happens with your friend who is moving back, you may or may not be able to offer the shift worker a vacancy. In any case, bear in mind that September is a long time off so I would think seriously about compromising a place and risk a change of mind from the shift worker without receiving a substantial retainer ~ I think we would ask for half our weekly rate, payable each week.

If he/she declines that arrangement, your advertising may well produce a completely new full time enquiry and someone who will be happy to take the 2 spare days, together with school runs and over 5s ~ you'll need (and be able to afford) a holiday!

You would be very unlucky if a) your friend doesn't move back and b) the shift worker declines and c) you get no additional enquiries!

Goatgirl
10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I'd pretty much go with minikins scenario :thumbsup: and not count any chickens!

As deposits, I would take a non refundable deposit ( it is to cover potential fees you might have to turn away in the meantime after all- that's alot of money!) the equivalent of 4 weeks fees to hold a place, then return it if you can't fulfill your end of the bargain.
If you feel bad about it, then you can offer to refund it at the end of the contract but I would have conditions in place for instance only if the contract continues for a minimum of ... 6 months? Make sure it is worth your while to hold a place if you go that way :thumbsup:

good luck :)

skatie
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all your help, yes there are lots of ifs and buts and maybes. I am useless at the money side of running my own business and feel that I should be offering the places on a first come first serve basis as opposed to what is better for my own gain ( which is not the right way to do it I know). I spoke to my friend last night, she moves back to my town on Friday and has received a response from the council advising there are absolutely no reception school places available for her ds and they say she needs to keep her at her old school ( an hours drive from this town). Anyhow, she is now coming Thurs to sign the contract for her younger ds to start with me and I think I'll definitely take the 2 mornings a week child. So if my friend falls through I can rely on Sept child to fall back on with a retainer.