PDA

View Full Version : Trouble filling vacancy, any ideas much appreciated !:)

tetti
09-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I am starting to despair a bit, as it seems to be almost impossible to fill my vacancy.
I am on the local council's website,on childcare.co.uk, I have large, professional business cards up in the local coffee shops and newsagents,but it just seems like I cannot get any feedback whatsoever.
I know that the local nurseries are full,and it seems as if though parents "trust" nurseries more,which is very unfortunate.
I am really worried as I am currently looking after one lovely boy,but if his parents will put him into nursery( like they did with his older brother when he reached two),I'd be unemployed !
As a single parent,it makes it all the more worrying :/

Have any of you got any tips on how to advertise ones vacancies more successfully ?
The other year I was virtually inundated with calls,but it has died down completely.

adedwards68
09-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Sorry havent got any more ideas than what you have already done, but isn't it always the way that you have nothing for months then seem inundated with enquiries

Essbops
09-04-2013, 04:15 PM
I found a few people advertise wanting childcare on Gumtree and netmums as well. I've started putting business cards on car windows at play centres and the like :-)

phoenix2010
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
loads of ideas

Advertise for free on gumtree, freeads, fridayads, ukclassifieds , yell.com

all are free but keep updating your ad to keep it fresh

also do a leaflet drop around your local area

create a facebook page , I get most of my business from mine , ensure your location and the word childminder is in the name of the page

go to soft play centres , mums cafes , toddler groups , parks, sure start centre , basically anywhere that little ones hang out

it can be really cringy and you do need a certain amount of balls lol but its a great way to get your name out there

put your leaflets up on notice boards , community centre , supermarkets , schools

make sure you appear on google maps and fill in your google maps profile

post on local "selling" facebook pages / community facebook pages

Be prepared to work unsociable hours for now, when I started and for about 18 months I did evenings /weekends/overnights , I said yes to practically everything , thankfully I can be a bit more choosy now and Im pretty much full

set up a website , I have one with WIX , it was free and very easy to do myself ,so pretty idiot proof

have a unique selling point , what can you offer that nurseries cant , outings to local farms and parks , woods and beaches etc , this is the downsides to some nurseries , lack of variety

make sure you have a good CV and send it out whenever you see a potential parent , really big yourself up

hope that has given you some ideas

adedwards68
09-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Wow some good ideas

Nicola Carlyle
09-04-2013, 06:23 PM
loads of ideas

Advertise for free on gumtree, freeads, fridayads, ukclassifieds , yell.com

all are free but keep updating your ad to keep it fresh

also do a leaflet drop around your local area

create a facebook page , I get most of my business from mine , ensure your location and the word childminder is in the name of the page

go to soft play centres , mums cafes , toddler groups , parks, sure start centre , basically anywhere that little ones hang out

it can be really cringy and you do need a certain amount of balls lol but its a great way to get your name out there

put your leaflets up on notice boards , community centre , supermarkets , schools

make sure you appear on google maps and fill in your google maps profile

post on local "selling" facebook pages / community facebook pages

Be prepared to work unsociable hours for now, when I started and for about 18 months I did evenings /weekends/overnights , I said yes to practically everything , thankfully I can be a bit more choosy now and Im pretty much full

set up a website , I have one with WIX , it was free and very easy to do myself ,so pretty idiot proof

have a unique selling point , what can you offer that nurseries cant , outings to local farms and parks , woods and beaches etc , this is the downsides to some nurseries , lack of variety

make sure you have a good CV and send it out whenever you see a potential parent , really big yourself up

hope that has given you some ideas

What she said lol!!!

Tazmin68
09-04-2013, 07:29 PM
I have two magnetic advertise from vistaprint on my car. That has also worked

skatie
09-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I have two magnetic advertise from vistaprint on my car. That has also worked

I just got one for free from vista print.

Mrs Pootle
10-04-2013, 10:09 AM
I have always found that word of mouth is the best advertisement. You can't beat getting out there and getting your face/name known in your local community at school/playgroup/softplay etc. I volunteered at my local playgroup during the time I was doing my training to become a childminder, and by the time I was registered I already had a potential list of clients. Could you possibly volunteer at a local group?

As a parent I have to be honest, I would not have phoned a childminder just because I saw their advert in a shop window. I would want to know somebody who knew them/had used their service, but that is just me.
good luck, it is very disheartening when you are looking for business.

SammySplodger
10-04-2013, 10:14 AM
As mentioned in previous thread, I have Vistaprint tote bags with my logo on hanging on my buggy - walking advert!

Go to every toddler group, soft play area etc possible - make sure it's really obvious that you are a CM - wear a logo sweatshirt/tshirt. I got mine from Spreadshirt. Ask if you can leave some leaflets out on the subs desk or serving hatch or put up on a board. Many groups have termly parties (Easter, Halloween etc) make sure you go to those as likely to be busier.

Village halls / church halls - normally you need to suss out when events are on to gain access to their pinboard. Well worth it, as I've had enquiries via a granny WI member who spotted my card and handed to her daughter.

Are there any big employers nearby? Can you get a posting on the intranet or cards put up in the staff room? I am lucky enough to live 3 mins walk from County Hall, so have a parent who works there, although she actually lives 45 mins away. Ask friends and family locally if they can help with this - you often need a contact 'on the inside'.

I find my local NCT group good for advertising too - I put leaflets in the bags at nearly news sales and advertise in their magazine. A good source of enquiries from 'bumps'!

Local schools - if you do a school run already - make sure it's obvious you are a CM and be bold and just talk to everyone!

My final bit of advice might just be peculiar to me, but I do find it works :-) ... feel free to ignore and giggle at my expense! :
I tend to wear bright coloured clothes & shoes and I have a very bright multicoloured buggy (bright red and lime with rainbow buggy snuggles!). I do this for a number of reasons - I like it, the kids like it AND I've noticed that it does make me stand out at school / toddler group. Which is no bad thing in terms of business. I know... all a bit 'Rod, Jane and Freddie', if you know what I mean (showing my age!).

Good luck

Kevin1964
10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi some great Ideas here but here one that not .If you computer literate

1) make a template with A simple Message or A4 paper IE

Hi My name is *******
I am A childminder
I have spaces
I have XXXXXXXXX Qualification

Please call Or contact me on

Or something simmer

You can then print it out and take it to a good printer and put it on A t shirt then when you go out and about you advertise yourself for free .
Here a few that I done in the past

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/cartoonplayer/keviin/13062010152.jpg

Deans Place is A forum I am a member of

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/cartoonplayer/keviin/DSCF1013-2.jpg

Another forum

It easy to change these to make it advrtise yourself for free You can all so put your Childminding on to A mug

tetti
15-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Thank you so much for your replies everyone :)