PDA

View Full Version : Dispensation for larger dustbin

skatie
09-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I am going through a bin bag everyday with childminding, just wondered if anybody had requested a dispensation for a larger bin from their council? How did you do it? Was it easy?

hectors house
09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I asked for one but was told that if I was getting rid of that many nappies (this was reason I gave for wanting extra small bin) that I technically should pay for a clinical waste bin or business rates for rubbish removal - so I had to back down quickly. We only have our green bins emptied once a fortnight - recycling bins (glass, paper, cardboard, tins, plastic bottles + food waste) each week.

If nappies are filling up your bin you could always give them back to parents to take home to put in their bins - this is what some pre-schools do.

vickylou
09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I requested a larger bin a few years ago, but when they found out it was for business use they charged me!!! Was over £250 a year!!! Only did it one year! Was cheaper for petrol to go to the tip!!!! We are changing to fortnightly collections soon and my bin is overflowing every week
And with 2 lo's in nappies, one who averages 6 - 8 nappy changes a day, I'm wondering how I'm going to go on!!! I recycle as much as I can but still can't fit everything in!! Do I start sending nappies home with parents?? Imagine their faces!!!

nikki thomson
09-04-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't know if its the same all over the country but here in Wiltshire if you have 3 or more children of your own your intitled to a larger bin for free. X

rickysmiths
09-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Goodness me that is a lot! However many children do you look after?

I live in Hertfordshire and they are very strict with bins. I have a med sized green bin for general rubbish which is collected once a fortnight, a large brown bin for garden waste (we can have a second bin but it would cost £100pa), food waste and cardboard, collected every week, and a number of boxes for recycling (we can have as many of this as we want for no extra charge) collected every fortnight.

We are a family of 4 me and dh and two children aged 18 and 20 both living at home full time at present.

You can only get a larger Green Bin if there are 5 or more in the house hold but they have to be your family and mindees do not count.

I have minded 4 under 5s for 2 years and all in nappies and I have had up to two before and after school.

I never fill my green general rubbish bin I have a small flip top bin in the kitchen and I only fill this once a week at most and in fact it will be emptied tonight for collections tomorrow and it will be the only bag we have used in two weeks. (no food goes in this bin!!) This bag goes in the green bin where I put nappies and as I say every fortnight there is at most 2 bin bags plus nappies and maybe some odd bits. There is only more if one of us has had a clear out but the bin is still rarely full.

Food waste either goes in our compost in the garden, down the InSinkErator or in the brown bin.

All other waste is recycled. We take all our old batteries to Waitrose who have a collection bin on the Customer Services counter.

If we want to we can buy large bags from our Library to put nappies in and they are put out once a fortnight with the green bin but you can't put the nappies in a nappy bag if you do this and you have to keep the bag of nappies somewhere for the time, I tried it and hated the smell and look as the bags are clear, we can pay and have the bags collected every week (approx £100pa I think) but I have never had a problem putting them in the green bin.

You can also pay for a bigger bin but it would be done as a business bin and cost a lot of money, even if it is tax deductible.

I think if it was me I would be looking at what it is you are bagging up every day and see if you can cut it down or recycle any of it.

Ring your Council and find out what their policy on bins is.

Collect your bags together over the week and pop them to your local dump at the end of the week and charge the mileage to your expenses.

Helen79
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
And with 2 lo's in nappies, one who averages 6 - 8 nappy changes a day, I'm wondering how I'm going to go on!!

Is that 6-8 changes per child a day :eek: ?

I asked for a larger bin but was told that I'd be charged business rates. What's your recycling system like where you live? Is it possible to look at your rubbish and see if you can reduce it before paying out for bigger bins. I have 3 in nappies but have managed to cut back with other rubbish and recycle a lot more and only have 1 black bag a week now.

hectors house
09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I would look at what recycling is available in your area - if they don't collect glass and plastic bottles (milk containers) from your doorstep can you bag them up and take to tip instead. Do you make sure all packaging you can't recycle is squashed as small as possible and if you put empty ice cream and butter containers in make sure you leave the lids off so you can fill the containers too (otherwise take up lots of space but filled with air), if you can't recycle milk containers, squash them flat and then try to put lids back on (then they stay flat).

If nappies are your biggest problem I would definitely send them home with parents - or tell them to invest in cloth ones!

skatie
09-04-2013, 10:54 AM
I definitely don't want to have to pay for a bigger bin. Our green bin is emptied every week but they are smaller than the blue/brown bins which are emptied once a fortnight. Perhaps I do need to start thinking about what we are putting in it to make sure nothing can be put elsewhere. I don't have a compost heap but could start one. The thing is I don't really want to be going in and out the house all day putting things in relevant bins, at the moment I keep all the recycling in the kitchen until the end of the day where it can be taken out in one go. One of my mindees is a crafter and we get loads of cut up bits of paper, cardboard etc etc. What do you all do? Do you have counter top containers for compost/ recycling/ garden q

rickysmiths
09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I definitely don't want to have to pay for a bigger bin. Our green bin is emptied every week but they are smaller than the blue/brown bins which are emptied once a fortnight. Perhaps I do need to start thinking about what we are putting in it to make sure nothing can be put elsewhere. I don't have a compost heap but could start one. The thing is I don't really want to be going in and out the house all day putting things in relevant bins, at the moment I keep all the recycling in the kitchen until the end of the day where it can be taken out in one go. One of my mindees is a crafter and we get loads of cut up bits of paper, cardboard etc etc. What do you all do? Do you have counter top containers for compost/ recycling/ garden q

I have one flip top recycling bin under a table in my kitchen. All recycling for the day goes in that including bits of paper and card, unless they are tiny, because we can recycle all of that. It is currently my 18 yr old sons job to empty the recycling bin and sort everything into the correct boxes outside!

I used to have a small table top bin provided by my Council to put compost waste in and then this was emptied into the compost bin in the garden when it was full. I now have an ice cream tub and empty it at the end of the day when mindees have gone or I do it if we are in the garden.

If I am doing or a child is doing a lot of craft stuff I put an old ice cream tub on the table for them to put the waste in and then I deal with it later I may move it out of the way when a task is finished.

For nappies I use one of those bins that wraps them up as I go along I then empty that at the end of the day into our general rubbish bin. Before I bought this system I had a small lidded bin either in the downstairs toilet or outside the back door and I would dump the nappies in that through the day and bin them at the end of the day.

Helen79
09-04-2013, 11:35 AM
I have a small tub in my under sink cupboard that has non recyclable waste that gets emptied every few days. The only thing that really goes in there is baby wipes and kitchen roll.
Nearly every thing else gets put in the recyclable bin, just a large swing top bin in the kitchen that gets taken out when its full, normally every other day. All crafty bits get put in here. We don't have to separate our recycling, it all just goes in 1 bin and gets sorted at the centre.

Nappies go in a small bin in the bathroom and get emptied at the end of the day.
Food goes in a small green bucket that gets emptied at the end of the day into the big food recycling bucket outside.

Things that I find that help are not buying pre packed fruit and veg, I never put them in a bag either, just loose in the trolley. I buy cartoned milk instead of plastic bottles so it squishes down better in the bins.

phoenix2010
09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
can you do a midnight run and sneak some into your neighbours bins :D

nikkiv
09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
can you do a midnight run and sneak some into your neighbours bins :D

Are u my neighbour :/

phoenix2010
09-04-2013, 12:01 PM
possibly !!

My neighbour has put their garden waste in my green bin before , as theirs was full , doesnt bother me , I hate gardening and rarely use it anyway :thumbsup:

nikkiv
09-04-2013, 12:31 PM
possibly !!

My neighbour has put their garden waste in my green bin before , as theirs was full , doesnt bother me , I hate gardening and rarely use it anyway :thumbsup:

Lol when my neighbour goes on holiday I always ask if she minds me using her bin if I put out and put back use this time to have my big clear outs from all the hoarding I've done! Thank goodness they're an older couple and have 4 holidays a year :)

caz3007
09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
We generate about 2 black bin liners per week, we are allowed 5. We have a big blue lidded recycling bin which is outside my back door, and we can recycle plastic bottles, cans and paper. We also have a brown garden waste bin which we pay £4.50 a month to have emptied, but we arent allowed to put food or veggie waste in there. We have 2 compost bins for all the veggie peelings, copious amounts of tea bags plus all our shredded paper (not allowed to send that to the recycling). I wish we could recycle plastic tubs and any other plastic wrapping but we cant.

We recycle as much as we can including all clothes and fabrics and our batteries. We are lucky cos I think our council has pretty good recycling facilities and we have a bit of garden fenced off round the side of our house that allows us to store stuff until we can get to the dump

clareelizabeth1
09-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Nappies are a pain lucky me I live in country side where the council doesn't provide bins and I can put out as much as I like. On the other hand they don't do recycling so we have to do car trips to two different recycling centres as one does glass and the other does tin cans. Sometimes think the planet would be better off if I just dumped it all as the waste sorting place the black bags goes to is amazing and it all gets recycled.

Essbops
09-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Sneaky trip to the tip lol

jackie 7
09-04-2013, 06:04 PM
I am lucky as i live in a big set of apartment blocks and we have the huge bins. No one would dare complain about the amount i put ou as i have very lazy neighbours. they only use the closest bins to the door so it fills up. I move the big bins every day so there is always an empty bin for them to use. I have heard about a company that provides a bin for recycling nappies.

jillplum
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
I was very lucky a few years ago as a parent happened to be in charge of who gets big bins! In my area you can have one if there are 5 or more people in the house. I only have 4 but I asked the parent about getting one and a new big bin arrived a few days later :D I still have it and it is usually full as it only gets emptied every 2 weeks.

adedwards68
10-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I've asked for a bigger bin, there are 6 in our family, but they won't give me one. So the dust man have to empty wheelie bin and whatever sacks we leave, which they do, but it takes them longer

skatie
10-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Another question about the food waste that you put in your brown bin? Is that just veggie peelings, banana skins, potato peels, tea bags etc. I've tried to watch what we are doing and could reduce the amount that goes in the green bin IF we are allowed to put peeling in the brown bin.

caz3007
10-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Another question about the food waste that you put in your brown bin? Is that just veggie peelings, banana skins, potato peels, tea bags etc. I've tried to watch what we are doing and could reduce the amount that goes in the green bin IF we are allowed to put peeling in the brown bin.

We are not allowed to put any food waste in our garden waste bin (our brown bin), but we have a compost bin for all the above mentioned stuff. I think it depends on the council and what they provide recycling for. Can you look on your local councils website under refuse and see what you can and cant put in

skatie
10-04-2013, 07:57 PM
So confusing that all the councils have different rules etc. good point, I'll see what's on our council website. Thanks

ozzy10
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
We get a largee bin from the council if we have a child under 5 in the house.

We also have green bin(garden waste/compostable (sp) food, blue bin (paper, plastic, tins, cardboard) and food waste bin. We compost all our veg peelings etc at home for the garden and get collections once a fortnight.

sonyach
10-04-2013, 09:33 PM
We had a large bin but it was stolen full of rubbish!! Put it out at night to be emptied and it disappeared, I must have looked a right numpty looking round for it. They wouldn't give us another large bin just one and a half!!!!:D

skatie
11-04-2013, 06:48 AM
We had a large bin but it was stolen full of rubbish!! Put it out at night to be emptied and it disappeared, I must have looked a right numpty looking round for it. They wouldn't give us another large bin just one and a half!!!!:D

Well I never!!! Honestly, you would think someone might be noticed walking down the road with a wheels bin unless they put it in a van?!

Ripeberry
11-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Well I never!!! Honestly, you would think someone might be noticed walking down the road with a wheels bin unless they put it in a van?!
Hope there was no correspondence in it. They would just dump the rubbish and blame it on you!! :eek:

muffins
11-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I've asked for a bigger bin, there are 6 in our family, but they won't give me one. So the dust man have to empty wheelie bin and whatever sacks we leave, which they do, but it takes them longer

They wont take sacks here, if it doent fit in the wheelie in you have to take it to the tip yourself:censored: But they are happy to collect any recycling that doesnt fit containers:rolleyes:

We have a large bin for recycling (plastics & tins) collected fortnightly, a smaller one for rubbish which mindees nappies fill 25% of at least (leaving room for 2 large sacks) collected fortnightly, a black box for paper/card collected fortnightly and a food waste caddy which is collected weekly.

skatie
11-04-2013, 08:07 AM
So confusing that all the councils have different rules etc. good point, I'll see what's on our council website. Thanks

Bizarrely, I have just looked on our council website and we will now have to pay for our garden waste bin to be collected as of May 2013, only £29 a year but to be honest I don't think we'll bother paying that. It's just another expense, so am about to educate myself on composting.

caz3007
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Bizarrely, I have just looked on our council website and we will now have to pay for our garden waste bin to be collected as of May 2013, only £29 a year but to be honest I don't think we'll bother paying that. It's just another expense, so am about to educate myself on composting.

Our garden waste costs us about £60 a year, we have a large garden and its easier than constantly taking it to the dump. We may just do it for the year though, and see what happens when its up for renewal as we had to get rid of lots of garden rubbish from last autumn