PDA

View Full Version : taking dd 3yrs for preschool jabs

Memina
09-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Ahhh I hate jabs and needles so how I'm going to be able to get through watching / forcing my daughter to get it done I have no idea.

I have been very frank with her about where we are going and what an injection is but I hate the idea of making her do something I would run a mile from. :-(

FussyElmo
09-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Perhaps look at it differently. You are not forcing/making her do something. You are taking her to have medicine administered which will keep her healthy.

Are you going alone as your dd will pick up your anxieties. If you do go then deep breathes keep a tight hold of her and look away when the needle is administrated.

Memina
09-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Yep hubby and I flipped for it and I have to do it. He feels worse as she totally besotted with him and he doesnt want to hurt her. So meanie mummy has to do it.

I've promised a pick of any of the easter eggs left over on the cupboard and she has her eye on the huge one thats in there so hopefully she'll forget soon enough.

Rolacolapink
09-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi I've recently done the same but unfortunately had to take a LO with me who'd had hers done a few months previous. We talked about going to the docs and having special medicine that will stop you from getting really really poorly - obviously explaining to the other LO that she wasnt having it done. All children have to have it, the LO/mummy/daddy/her brother have had it etc. I took each child a packet of choc buttons and opened them in front of them just before the jabs and although i was v nervous about my LO's reaction she only cried for a split second and then realised the choc buttons were far too good to be worried about the pain of the jabs!!! all the way home i praised her for being really brave and she repeated it to her grandparents/dad/brother and was really proud of herself.

Good luck it's not nice is it!!

Maza
09-04-2013, 09:51 AM
It's over in less than a second! If you didn't do it she could be ill for weeks - that's the way I forced myself to see it! I also had chocolate at the ready and I didn't look at the needle. Get your doctor's kit out when you get home and you'll have some great role play! Good luck. It's one of those horrible 'cruel to be kind' situations! x

Helen79
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Could you and dh take her together then no one feels like the mean parent, even though you shouldn't feel mean for taking her. One of you can give her a cuddle and the other can distract her with a book or toy. If you have chocolate to hand it's all forgotten about in minutes. The nurses are really good with the kids and do it as quickly as possible with no fuss. I don't think ds even realised he'd had it done it was so quick.

Memina
09-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Its done and she literally fought and was so cross with the nurse. Why did you pinch me you meanie doctor!

She cant understand why I was laughing a little.

Dd refused a sticker and told the nurse to put them away because she didn't like her.

She's eaten a whole easter egg and is now milking it for all its worth!

Memina
09-04-2013, 11:31 AM
I really wonder where she gets her temper from???? Lol

FussyElmo
09-04-2013, 11:32 AM
My eldest got of my knee and asked why I had allowed them to do that to her.

She accepted the chocolate they offered her though.

Got to love them none of my others have been so self righteous about it though.