PDA

View Full Version : Adult-led and child-led activities

pinkellifun
09-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Can anyone explain this to me. I understand the concept, correct me if I'm wrong - adult-led is when i set up and help with the activity, child-led is when the child chooses and completes the activity (either alone or with help)?

The problem I am finding is when I try to write my planning which has been created by me and my development advisor. I have a column for adult-led activities and one for each child which should show child-led activities. I am struggling with what to write in the child-led column as everything I have thought of, although it is from the child's 'next steps' and is something they would normally play with, appears to be adult-led and therefore can't go in that column. Does that make sense? For example, I have a child who needs to have more experience of turn-taking and sharing, so I was thinking about putting Skittles in the child-led column but because I am planning to do that with him, isn't it classed as adult-led? How do I plan for child-led activities without it becoming an adult-led one?

Sorry waffling a bit but hope you understand what I'm trying to get at. :blush:

clareelizabeth1
09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Not sure you can plan child led as that happens in the spur of the moment. I don't have child led planning written down. I will asks child what they would like to do during the day and a child led activity might be planed an hour before it happens but normally they say can we bake so we bake or they get out there own toys.

The only children I have had that have planed what they want to do in advance are school children.

karensmart4
09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
You can't plan in advance for 'child-led' activities or they wouldn't be spontaneous!!

Can you leave that column blank and fill it in as it happens? that way you may see a pattern of play for the child and can plan extension activities from their interests :)

Sarsar3NCH
09-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree, you can't plan for child led activities, you can use this column to record the child's interests for the week, this can help you plan adult led activities for the following week based on next steps combined with child's interests.

chezzagriff
09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I would just plan the adult-led activities from your next steps and then do a few post it observations each month on child-led activities

pinkellifun
09-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Okay, thanks guys. That makes me feel a bit better. I was beginning to get in a tizz because I couldn't get my head round it. :laughing:

CLL
10-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Maybe you could devise a new planning sheet. It could just have on your adult led activities and then underneath a space for reflection/child led/next steps. Find one that works for you rather than having a box you struggle to fill in all the time.

phoenix2010
10-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Almost right

a child led activity is something they think up / begin to do themselves , but they dont have to complete it themselves , you can assist once they have developed an idea for play

and adult led is something you set up/suggest/begin but that doesnt mean that you cant then stand back and let them get on with it

So its how the activity begins rather than how it continues or completes

thats my understanding of it anyway

Happiness
29-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi there.
Just a quick question. I take my little ones to different groups every morning except Wednesdays. Would that be an adult led activity or do i actually have to come up with some kind of activity like baking or crafts ( we do that on Wednesdays or when the children feel like it any other times). Also would one of you lovely people on here share your weekly planner with me please? I have been childminding for a month now but not so sure if my Weekly Routine is done correctly. For example: Rhyme Time in the morning, Child led activity in the afternoon and walk to the park. Is that ok?
Thanks in advance.x:)