PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?

melco
08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi,

This may sound like a weird question but tomorrow I have a 9mth old starting and I currently look after his cousin. They will be arriving at roughly the same time and picked up at the same time. What do you do with them when one of them is being picked up? I have looked after two before but the times they were dropped off and picked up was always different so one would normally be asleep. I have put one of them in a buggy in the hall while one being picked up but don't know whether that will look good. Just wondering what others do. Once the other one is walking it will be easier as can hold a hand and carry the other but until then I am nervous about how to handle pick up and getting them both into the double buggy without having one of them escaping!!

Thanks

melco

chriss
08-04-2013, 08:54 PM
dont think having one of them in a buggy waiting will look good, are you able to prop them up with cushions on the floor maybe, or a little seat they can sit in ?

sprinkles
08-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Do you have a rocker or baby walker you can put them in so they're safe? Or a bumbo?

melco
08-04-2013, 09:08 PM
dont think having one of them in a buggy waiting will look good, are you able to prop them up with cushions on the floor maybe, or a little seat they can sit in ?

Its just I like to have them with me and if they are propped up but cushions they will then be in another room. Don't know whether pushchair or child sitting on floor in hall is good idea either and that's why I don't know what to do.

melco
08-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Do you have a rocker or baby walker you can put them in so they're safe? Or a bumbo?

I did have a walker and wish I had a bumbo!! Any other ideas ;)

Twinkling Stars
08-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I have a jumperoo (like a walker but.with no wheels). I have also put the baby i mind in to a highchair with some toys on the tray while i answer the door etc. He enjoys both of these and looks happy and safe. :-)

nikkiv
09-04-2013, 08:06 AM
I put little ones in highchair with toys at pick up times for others I know they're safe that way and won't get trodden on!

caz3007
09-04-2013, 08:12 AM
What about a travel cot with some toys in to use like a playpen. We have lots of local fb selling groups and can often get Bumbos on there

VeggieSausage
09-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Our local childminding group has removed bumbos following safety concerns, I wouldn't be using them now personally....

caz3007
09-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Our local childminding group has removed bumbos following safety concerns, I wouldn't be using them now personally....

I dont use one, but there are several at toddler group. I just googled and the concerns seem to be if people use them in an elevated postion, like the old bouncy chairs, dont use them on a table or bed.

Am interested in hearing if there are other concerns, not that I use them myself but thought they were a good idea

~Grasshopper~
09-04-2013, 09:27 AM
my own boys both used to arch there backs and fall out of the bumbo onto the floor. i personally would just stick baby on the floor with some toys. the floor is the safest place to be and your house should be child proof. can you see/hear from the front door?? if so thats fine.

x

handeme
09-04-2013, 09:53 AM
They recalled the bumbos to have saftey belts fitted x

hectors house
09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I just leave mine in lounge while i go into hall to open front door - I leave the lounge door open, the older ones stay put and carry on playing, sometimes the younger ones follow me or I pick up the crawler (his mum comes first) and hand him to her as she comes in. We then go back into lounge to do verbal hand over or if she has boots on that are hard to get off and on, I stand in lounge - she stands on laminate in hall.

Can I just ask why you are worried about them being on floor in hall with you - the mum collecting can pick up hers and you can pick up other one? Are you worried about stairs / being trod on / things they could injury themselves on / hot radiator - if so risk assess each thing and think if there is anything you can do to limit any risks.

singingcactus
09-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm sure the area you are using for minding is perfectly safe, so i would just let the child have the freedom to carry on playing, or to follow you into the hall. Once you've handed off the first child you will have free arms for the other. Relax, you won't need to confine the children. You'll probably find the whole tjing much more stressful if you try to pin then into something every time.

phoenix2010
09-04-2013, 11:41 AM
I dont see anything wrong in leaving them in another room as long as the door is open and the room is safe and you keep checking

If the thought of that makes you nervous , then Id use a travel cot , they are invaluable for using for short periods of time for very young children whilst you do things like , answer the door , cook etc , as long as they have safe toys in there to amuse themselves for 10 minutes then thats fine

I think that would be far better than strapped in a buggy or carried

twinkletots
09-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't like bumbos either, I don't think they are very safe! We have cushi tush seats they are brilliant and are great to keep babies at floor level with the children whilst supporting their backs. So much cheaper than bumbo and you get the tray with it too!

(Taken from their website)
"The Cushi Tush baby seat is suitable from when baby can support his or her own head weight. The curving contours of the seat naturally promotes good posture and holds your child safe and secure in perfect comfort. Award winning and paediatrician approved the Cushi Tush comes with a tray which locks to the base at 3 points to prevent escapes.

Made from a high density moulded Polypropylene material called ARPRO®."

They are great!

Rubybubbles
09-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi,

This may sound like a weird question but tomorrow I have a 9mth old starting and I currently look after his cousin. They will be arriving at roughly the same time and picked up at the same time. What do you do with them when one of them is being picked up? I have looked after two before but the times they were dropped off and picked up was always different so one would normally be asleep. I have put one of them in a buggy in the hall while one being picked up but don't know whether that will look good. Just wondering what others do. Once the other one is walking it will be easier as can hold a hand and carry the other but until then I am nervous about how to handle pick up and getting them both into the double buggy without having one of them escaping!!

Thanks

melco

I would just bring them in the hall with me:huh: we often have 3-4 children saying hello and goodbye at the door to their friends. (I also had a 12 month old and 9 month old at same time , I just popped them onto the floor and they crawled around.

twinkletots
09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
I would just bring them in the hall with me:huh: we often have 3-4 children saying hello and goodbye at the door to their friends. (I also had a 12 month old and 9 month old at same time , I just popped them onto the floor and they crawled around.

I do that too, the children love to wave goodbye to their friends! :)

clareelizabeth1
09-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I dont use one, but there are several at toddler group. I just googled and the concerns seem to be if people use them in an elevated postion, like the old bouncy chairs, dont use them on a table or bed.

Am interested in hearing if there are other concerns, not that I use them myself but thought they were a good idea

My niece tripped over her little sister and broke her nose. We weren't concerned about the seat though just her sense of awareness.

ChocolateChip
09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Is your hall away from your lounge, is that what you're worried about?
My hallway is tiny and straight off the lounge, if I have babies/ crawlers I put a stairgate across so I can limit who goes in and out of the hallway but still see and have contact iyswim, so I just leave whoever isn't being picked up in the lounge playing.
But then my hall isn't big enough for all of us, lol!

Essbops
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Yep I think a high chair is about the best :-)

melco
10-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Is your hall away from your lounge, is that what you're worried about?
My hallway is tiny and straight off the lounge, if I have babies/ crawlers I put a stairgate across so I can limit who goes in and out of the hallway but still see and have contact iyswim, so I just leave whoever isn't being picked up in the lounge playing.
But then my hall isn't big enough for all of us, lol!

Yes my hall is away from the lounge and I have a large hall so would not be able to see or hear when answering the door, so far I have been using Travel Cot, Highchair or Pushchair this is also because my double buggy does not fit through the front door so I have to put it up outside so am having to get shoes and coats on one child put them in single pushchair, get other one ready and then put him in highchair or travel cot, make sure I am ready, put double buggy up and then get the los one by one to put in the buggy and then off we go!! There must be an easier way surely, I am so tired and only second day!!

smurfette
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
It's ok for parent to have to put on child's coat and shoes when they arrive if needs be. Sometimes that happens here and to be honest the days I get them organised they are late being picked up and end up sitting in a coat or trampling near to crawlers fingers for ten / fifteen minutes. I just open door, mum comes in and gets child organised then out they go. I know a lot of people don't let parents in but I have to say if I was using child care I would like the provider to be transparent and not feel they were hiding something by not letting me in, especially if they have only just started with me. I am lucky though none of my parents take the Mick, mostly gone in ten minutes

FussyElmo
11-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Either me of dh opens the door and then the mums come in - I never have a problem with parents coming in :thumbsup:

Waveawand
11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Yes my hall is away from the lounge and I have a large hall so would not be able to see or hear when answering the door, so far I have been using Travel Cot, Highchair or Pushchair this is also because my double buggy does not fit through the front door so I have to put it up outside so am having to get shoes and coats on one child put them in single pushchair, get other one ready and then put him in highchair or travel cot, make sure I am ready, put double buggy up and then get the los one by one to put in the buggy and then off we go!! There must be an easier way surely, I am so tired and only second day!!

Hiya melco, under ones are very labour intensive ! albeit gorgeous :) - my suggestions :_
The only double puschair that I have used that fits through a standard door frame is the Graco duo sport ( side by side ) but alternatively you could look out a second hand tandem, and have it permanetly set up in your hall. Along with maybe your travel cot, so then you can get one child ready and put in pram whilst other is either already sitting in pram awaiting coat etc or in the travel cot .
or alternatively -Do you have a garage that you can leave your pram already set up for use ? or get your DH to put it up for you in Porch ( if you have one) so it is always ready ?
good luck with it anyways and hope this helps !

twinkletots
11-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Either me of dh opens the door and then the mums come in - I never have a problem with parents coming in :thumbsup:

I agree FussyElmo I also don't have problems with parents coming in... After all isn't a main part of the EYFS "Positive Partnerships wit Parents" :)

twinkletots
11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
I agree FussyElmo I also don't have problems with parents coming in... After all isn't a main part of the EYFS "Positive Partnerships wit Parents" :)

With* (typing with a bandaged hand)