PDA

View Full Version : How many times does a child have to be sick/runny nappy before you send home?

tigwig
08-04-2013, 06:48 PM
With sickness if there is no obvious reason like really bad coughing or a baby bringing up milk I send home after 1 episode. Same with bad nappies really if they are REALLY bad after just 1. But when I worked in nurseries it had to be 3 before a parent was phoned. I think thats mad! I had to send a child home this aft after she was sick but she also had a temp, hadnt eaten and was tearful as well as a slightly loose nappy! Then when shes picked up I get "oh yes, she had 2 'funny' nappies yesterday" Great! Last time a child had that it was joyfully passed on to another mindee and my OH which ruined our weekend. :( What do others do?

Rick
08-04-2013, 08:00 PM
One of my mindees was off last week with runny poo and sickness. Mum assured me she was ok for 48 hours so I allowed her back to me today. Just before going home I got a big running nappy from her. Had that happened earlier on in the day I would have sent home without a second thought.

We don't want that sort of thing, particularly at the moment with my wife due to give birth in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

serin
08-04-2013, 08:09 PM
One of my mindees was off last week with runny poo and sickness. Mum assured me she was ok for 48 hours so I allowed her back to me today. Just before going home I got a big running nappy from her. Had that happened earlier on in the day I would have sent home without a second thought.

We don't want that sort of thing, particularly at the moment with my wife due to give birth in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I had this problem as well. My mindee came to mine about 8 and by about 10 he was sick everywhere so I thought maybe he had too much milk but its not normal for him. He was then bringing everything up through the day and couldnt keep anything down at all. I texted Dad for him to say he was sick yesterday too. Mum didnt mention it so she obviously tried to hide it. They kept him at home the next day which was a Friday so he had the weekend to recover.
Generally I would inform the parents but keep him with me until the end of the day.

tigwig
08-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Well shes still being sick now so I'm glad I did send her home! I guess I am very strict with illness as I have 2 young children of my own too who freak out when the mindees are ill!

jo.jo76
08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes, good call to send home!

I generally send them home as soon as they've been sick, one exception was a child who would scream and scream until he was sick but this was connected to separation anxiety. Runny poos I'd usually try and judge on colour/smell!! But I'd probably send home too

MessybutHappy
08-04-2013, 09:25 PM
If they're sick it's straight home...nappies I might be prepared to wait and see...if another one followed sooner then normal I'd send home...it's too risky with other children and my own to think of, once these things take hold it's a nightmare to stop!

bunyip
09-04-2013, 07:26 AM
With sickness if there is no obvious reason like really bad coughing or a baby bringing up milk I send home after 1 episode. Same with bad nappies really if they are REALLY bad after just 1. But when I worked in nurseries it had to be 3 before a parent was phoned. I think thats mad! I had to send a child home this aft after she was sick but she also had a temp, hadnt eaten and was tearful as well as a slightly loose nappy! Then when shes picked up I get "oh yes, she had 2 'funny' nappies yesterday" Great! Last time a child had that it was joyfully passed on to another mindee and my OH which ruined our weekend. :( What do others do?

The first thing I'd do is draw attention to the contract stating that I can terminate a contract immediately if a parent willfully and knowingly brings a sick child here. :mad:

tigwig
09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes I am aware I can do that but wouldnt do it in this case. In the parent's defence she is usually very good and the previous 'funny' nappies were just that! Not proper diarrohea (sp) but a bit loose which could have been down to teething. Obviously not in this case though!

Sarsar3NCH
09-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I find this difficult and use my judgement in each case. I have had children that are sick from coughing, one that was easily car sick (sent her home first time for mum to then tell me that it happens a lot!)' I also have children that have awful nappies when teething and may also appear under the weather and a slight temp but with Calpol can last all day (that one is a tricky call). One other mindee has numerous food intolerances that cause diarrhoea, it took mum and I a while to figure it out and now we often don't know whether its an upset stomach or food probs. I have therefore learnt to be a bit open minded, so far I haven't ever had anything spread in 10 years of minding.........touch wood (and hand gel lol!)

clareelizabeth1
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
It depends on the child when they are new they go home straight away but as I get to know them more they might stay as I will normally be able to tell if its dodgy from illness or teething intolerance thing.

Remember gut instinct is normally right.

emma04
10-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I find this difficult and use my judgement in each case. I have had children that are sick from coughing, one that was easily car sick (sent her home first time for mum to then tell me that it happens a lot!)' I also have children that have awful nappies when teething and may also appear under the weather and a slight temp but with Calpol can last all day (that one is a tricky call). One other mindee has numerous food intolerances that cause diarrhoea, it took mum and I a while to figure it out and now we often don't know whether its an upset stomach or food probs. I have therefore learnt to be a bit open minded, so far I haven't ever had anything spread in 10 years of minding.........touch wood (and hand gel lol!)

I would be tempted to give notice on car sickness if it was a regular occurrance. Couldn't begin to imagine constantly cleaning up sick out of my car! It always leaves a lingering smell for weeks! NO THANKS:blush:

ziggy
10-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I go with how the child is feeling in general

I have a 2yr old who can have 3 quite runny nappies a day, although i put that down to the amount of fruit he eats, he will eat a pear, an apple and a orange at snack time and mummy brings a bag full of fruit for him and his brother every week!!!!

I've also found teething can cause runny nappies.

However is a child is vomitting and generally unwell then i would contact parent to take child home.