PDA

View Full Version : photos

Boo_Bear
08-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi ya I just wondered what all you do about taking photos for the eyfs? I read somewhere u have to have insurance for digital pics is this true if so where and how do I sort it or gwt round it seems to be so much we have to shell out for. Cheers

jo.jo76
08-04-2013, 06:12 PM
It's not insurance but does cost! You need to be registered with ICO

SammySplodger
08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
ICO registration is £35 - you go on their website, fill in an online form to print out and post back with payment.

hectors house
08-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes sorry more money to pay out for just trying to do your job well - you need to pay £35 each year to the ICO to be able to take photos with any digital device/camera whether or not you print them immediately in Boots and delete them or save them on your computer. Last year was the first year I paid out for it, the year before I decided I wouldn't take any photos as I didn't want to pay it and now I regret it as my LJ look very bare, so I have now paid for it and got peace of mind that I am not breaking any rules.

MiniKins
08-04-2013, 08:29 PM
You also need to register if you hold any other personal records electronically (names and addresses on computer or tablet for example).

Here's a link to their FAQs page:

FAQs - Registration under the Data Protection Act - ICO (http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/notification/faqs)

You can phone the ICO if you prefer ~ tell them you are a childminder (they have a template specifically for childminders) and they will very helpfully fill in the form for you by asking a few simple questions. They will then send it pre-printed to you, together with another form with a few tick boxes for you to complete and sign, and a direct debit form if you prefer to pay that way (they can't take payment details over the phone).

Phone number is 0303 123 1113

Edit: mmmm…maybe it was my 'little boy lost' or flirtatious behaviour that got me preferential treatment…who knows!

lorraine04
09-04-2013, 07:49 AM
I have just read this post and realized that i have never had this insurance and have been taking photos for nearly two years :eek::eek:, How come i was not aware of this?! mortified..

bunyip
09-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Please get past the idea this is insurance It is not insurance.

It is a legal requirement under the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information Act 2000. It is also a regulatory requirement, since EYFS Statutory Framework section 3.68 states: "Providers must be aware of their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998 and where relevant the Freedom of Information Act 2000."

It applies to most businesses where someone makes decisions about how personal data (including but not only pictures) is collected, stored, used, transmitted, destroyed, etc. There are some exceptions, but childcare is specifically listed as among the activities requiring to notify (register) with ICO. You may be required to notify even if you don't take photos or own a computer. The acts include any personal data held within what it calls a "relevant filing system". That may include the client phone numbers stored in a mobile phone or even paper documentation such as addresses written in a business diary or child records held in an NCMA Toolkit carry-case. It's very nearly impossible to avoid and still operate as a CM.

Boo_Bear
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks ladies. I knew it wasnt insurance I just couldnt remember what u would call it. It seems to be so much to pay out to be a childminder nowadays that all the fun is taken out of the job. Yes I understand we have to be safe and keep the children safe, but with all the red tape its no wonder so maby people are giving it up or not even looking at doing it.
Being a childcarer is what I have always done for 12 years now, and the ryles have changed so much that even to fart you have to have a policy. Sorry for the rant it just upsets me the amount of time I miss out on my own child due to paperwork for the others. I believe in love, care and loada of attention is needed for a happy healthy child not all the policies and red tape! I have a fantastic relationship with the parents, I keep them informed of everything and give them verbal notices now. They have always said to me aslong as their child is happy in my care they have no problems. Xx
Grrrr makes me cross on the money we fork out. When most things we have the criminals all get through anyway so why keep punishing us!! Xxx
Sorry

MiniKins
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I believe in love, care and loada of attention is needed for a happy healthy child not all the policies and red tape! I have a fantastic relationship with the parents, I keep them informed of everything and give them verbal notices now. They have always said to me aslong as their child is happy in my care they have no problems.

Well said Boo_Bear

There's a name for this period in life…it's called childhood ~ I remember mine it was fantastic.

We don't need to spend half our life analysing, assessing and pigeon-holing them…We don't need to write a report to show parents that a child is happy and ready to progress to the next stage in life…and we can do something about it without having to refer to an instruction manual!

Whatever happened to 'every child is individual and unique'? Inspect us (obviously) but let us make decisions on the front line and get yourself (Ofsted) into gear to give us support and back-up when we need it.

We don't care about the word professional (a dig at PACEY)

We're just rewarded by their smiling faces and the little cuddles that they give me and Mrs MiniKins...(and secretly I love it when they cry not to go home!)

…and breathe...

Boo_Bear
11-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Oh I am so glad I am not the only one. I am fed up of doing pointless paperwork.
My child and every child in the world was born without an instruction manual and tick boxes so why but them in boxes now!!!
It frustrates me as parents worry about silly things that back when I was a kid we never wotried about. Yes u know if your child isnt right or is a little slower on certain things.
I agree with ofsted inspecting US not what paperwork I have or haven't got. My job description is childcarer not ****** office worker! I hate it. Drives me round the bend!