PDA

View Full Version : what do i pay my assistant?

vickibaker5
02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
how do i work out an hourly rate for an assistant?

do i have to pay them the minimum wage or a percentage of my hourly rate per child?

please help i am totally confusing myself with sums now lol

vicki x

Rubybubbles
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't know for fact but I'm sure it's minium wage as you are going to be the employer

someone with knowledge will let u know if I'm talking tripe or not:laughing:

DCS
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
hiya,
you'd have to pay the national minimum wage, although, if you could find some one who didn't mind cash in hand, thus relieving you of your additional tax and ni obligations, you could do rather nicely.

do you really need to hire an assistant? can't you get your partner or some such to nelp out?

Janes Juniors
09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
My daughter who is my registered assistant and works only rarely with me as she has her own home and a full time job is considering working full time with me. If she does; if I can fill the places to have 6 under school age I will add up the total income; keep a third for me a third for my daughter and a third for overheads eg heating, food, etc. She is going to register as a childminder in her own right and we are hoping to get planning permission to perhaps have one or two more children if the council ever get back to me they promised 10 days to reply and it is alread over two weeks, but that is our council for you. Another question off topic sorry - how do I get messages to automatically come into my email inbox I use microsoft outlook? As it is hard to find new posts without trawling through lots of forum posts. Good luck Jane xxxx :)

Little Pumpkins
14-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I wouldnt do cash in hand either the tax people would eventually find out

Hannahlg
20-07-2008, 11:42 AM
im my mums registed assisstant she adds up how much momeny we made for that mouth and saves some back from toys tax etc etc so say if we made £2000 in july and we put £500 away for toys tax etc she woud then half the £1500 and get half each

butterfly
20-07-2008, 01:38 PM
if your hubby's your assistant do you have to show you're paying them??

Hannahlg
20-07-2008, 06:59 PM
my mum pays me by check she just write in that little thing where you tear it off how much it was that month

cloud9
25-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know for fact but I'm sure it's minium wage as you are going to be the employer

someone with knowledge will let u know if I'm talking tripe or not:laughing:

Either that or you could just have an assistant but they would need to be self employed so rather than you paying them wages it would go in your book as an expense and they would be responsible for their tax and NI . I would have then thought the minimum wage wouldn't apply but you could pay them a percentage of the days earnings

Tatia
30-07-2008, 10:04 AM
if your hubby's your assistant do you have to show you're paying them??

Don't think so but I'm not expert on the matter. My husband is being registered as my assistant but just for emergencies and maybe doing school runs in the rain if he's home.:cool: I won't be paying him but I will be bossing him about a bit.:D

aly
30-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Don't think so but I'm not expert on the matter. My husband is being registered as my assistant but just for emergencies and maybe doing school runs in the rain if he's home.:cool: I won't be paying him but I will be bossing him about a bit.:D

That sounds fab...:laughing:
although I boss him around anyway :P

butterfly
02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
if they registered as self employed they probably wouldn't pay much tax and would onl pay the small ni contributions each month. i'm looking at employing someone for between 27 and 30hrs but not sure what to pay. obviously i need to make money as it's pointless! would £5 per hour be fair? probably not! the thing is my income is wildly different in the hols so i would strugle to pay any more.

madasahatter
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
im my mums registed assisstant she adds up how much momeny we made for that mouth and saves some back from toys tax etc etc so say if we made £2000 in july and we put £500 away for toys tax etc she woud then half the £1500 and get half each

How are you paying tax and NI contributions? because these would be due once you exceed approx £475 per month from April 2009 as an employee.