PDA

View Full Version : Assistants

chezzagriff
08-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Up until starting childminding I worked in a private day nursery for 9 years. I only started minding in Feb and although this is what I always wanted to end up doing I am finding it quite lonely. Today I had 3 under 5s and the 2 youngest have took it in turns all day to scream the place down! Although I can deal with it, it has worn me out and on top of it I feel as though the oldest has had hardly any attention. I am thinking of taking on an assistant so that I can take on more under 5s but also so that I can have some adult interaction throughout the day. I dont know where to start though so here are my questions......... Do they have to do the 10 week childminders course? What do I do with Ofsted? Do I need to register as an employer as well as self employed to pay wages? If you are both classed as registered childminders how do you work out the wage? What extra paperwork will I need? No doubt I will be posting more questions. Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Chatterbox Childcare
08-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear that you are finding the loneliness hard.

A couple of options are to get out and meet others, toddler groups, soft play, group meetings etc.. Do you have an Area Rep, someone who organises everything? Speak to your local Family Information Centre and they should be able to put you in the right direction. Could you meet with any other new minders you met on your courses?

Assistants are good but in my opinion can be hard work but managed right can be a great help.

To answer your questions:

Do they have to do the 10 week childminders course? - no they don't but you need to make sure that they are up to date with the EYFS, Safeguarding Procedures and I believe Manual Handling and an understanding of your policies and procedures. Ofsted will ask them questions to on your inspection. First Aid is compulsory if you want to leave any children unattended with an assistant.

What do I do with Ofsted? Nothing apart from getting the CRB sorted. Fill in a EY2 form on the ofsted.gov.uk website and that will create it. You are now expected to do references and show suitability if questioned.

Do I need to register as an employer as well as self employed to pay wages? - PAYE now has to be paid money so if you want your assistant to be employed then I believe you will have to register as an employer. Have a look at the help section of HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk). According to conversations I have had with the HMRC as long as the assistant is free to look for work elsewhere then they can be self employed and be responsbile for their own tax and insurance.

If you are both classed as registered childminders how do you work out the wage? - I work with my DH and we are registered as a partnership. All monies go into one pot, agree what expenses are claimable by whom before you start. Once everything comes out at the end of the year you would complete a Partnership Return and individual returns.

What extra paperwork will I need? - You need the EY2 as above, confirmation/evidence that you have sought suitability (references) and shown due diligence in training your assistance. You need signed permission from each parent that the child/children can be left in sole care of... name your assistant. You need to get adequate Employers Liability Insurance if you are going down the employer route but this isn't much - about £5 and I believe with MM it is free. Pacey is free if you have a student as an assistant.

Hope that helps

No doubt I will be posting more questions. - thats what we are here for!

chezzagriff
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all that it was very helpful. I have thought more about it and spoke to a friend who is in the middle of completing her childminders course and we are going to both be registered childminders working from my house. As its my house so its my electric, gas, food etc. I was thinking of either doing a 60%/40% or 55% 45% wage split. What do you think sounds fair?