PDA

View Full Version : bank holidays and pack lunches

natalieatk
07-04-2013, 08:48 AM
hi all,
first I want to ask about bank holidays, I dont work bank holidays, nor do i charge for them, Iv recently been asked by one of my parents if i will work a bank holiday,but i dont no how to say no,shes quite outspoken and always puts me on the spot. she made a big deal when she started she didnt want to pay for bank holidays ( i used to charge normal rate for them and take the day off but since changed this to no fee) anyway she refused to pay so we worked it out she would get 2 weeks holiday free and pay for 2 weeks holiday for me.
I dont wish to work bank holidays at all, im thinking to telling her if she wants me to work it will be double time (normal rate is £3.70ph - so will be £7.40) although i wont be available for all the bank holidays she requests.

sendondly - i include meals in my fee £30 8am - 6pm, i have recently decided to request a pack lunch from parents for half terms and summer holidays (having 6 or 7 children on some days) as we are on outings most days like farms or parks etc in the holidays im spending half my morning making up all these pack lunches every day, and a contribution 1 day per week (not every week) for a more expensive trip, farm or beamish etc.
How do i put this is writing? nicely so that itsnot put accross as mean....
thanks natalie

shortstuff
07-04-2013, 08:56 PM
What did you put on your contracts with regards to bank holidays?

That will be your guidance. If you have stated that you are unavailable remind the parent of this. If you have stated that you are maybe you will heed to book a holiday for the ones you dint want to work?

With regards to the lunch boxes as you include lunch in your fees my personal opinion is that you should provide them. Again did you write anything in your contract with regards to this?

SammySplodger
07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
If you prefer not to work on BHs, then don't. Stick to your guns! I don't work BHs and I don't charge for them, it's in my contracts. If any parents were to ask (nobody has ever) I'd just say 'Sorry - No'.

I agree packed lunch issue is tricky if food is supposed to be included in your fee. I include all food and snacks and would take one big picnic for everyone to share. Individual packed lunches can be annoying anyway - more possibility of 'issues' over what some have and others don't and more boxes to lug about.

Hope that helps :-)

angeldelight
07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Natalie do not let this parent bully you or make you feel guilty

I do not work bank holidays either and one of my newish parents was very grumpy when she asked if I would work good Friday and I said no ....infact I haven't seen her since :laughing:

But you know what I will not be bullied

I love my bank holidays

Tell her you are going out and have tickets next time ...you don't have to really make excuses but you might feel better doing that

Packed lunches ...if I include meals in my fees then that would also include packed lunches

Good luck and do what YOU want to do

Angel xx

natalieatk
08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone I my contract it states I do not work bank holidays. But can be available at double time! I can't see her paying that. But also says I mite not always be available !

In the holidays in pretty much out every day with my childminding group so travel quite far to farms and parks etc.
iv wrote a letter asking for pack lunches for dinner only,
My fee is less than what others in my area charge as they all charge extra for lunch so they are getting a relitively cheaper price,
It's just hard being confronted by parents who try to take the mic sometimes!
Thanks