PDA

View Full Version : where does everyone keep there first aid and fire blanket?

devoncm
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Im just getting things ready for ofsted, they havent called yet but in may when the inspector came round unaanounced she said she would give me a month and ring and come for inspection if i have children or not as it needs to be done now june has passed and still nothing so im sure it wont be far away... anyway just wondering where i should keep my first aid and fire blanket, at the mo they are both in a cupboard in kitchen but thought of putting fire blanket on wall somewhere ao easier accessed,where do you all put yours?

FizzysFriends
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
My first aid kit is on my kitchen window ledge as its really easy to access. I dont have a fire blanket yet but I dont think you are allowed them in or on top of a cupboard. I thought they had to be easilly reachable.

sarah707
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I would put a fire blanket on your wall near to but not over the top of your cooker.

My first aid box is in my pantry ... you could put it in a cupboard, so long as it is out of sight and reach of children but easily accessible for you.
:D

berkschick
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
My first aid kit is on the worktop in the kitchen.

The fire blanket is up on the wall next to the cooker.

I think it has to be fixed up somewhere within easy reach.

It was something my inspector checked when I had my inspection.

devoncm
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks, -my kitchen does need sorting before gets ripped out and redone, so will put blanket on wall somewhere tempory until done and can find a permanant home for it.

ruby
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
yes fire blanket needs to be on a wall

my first aid box is in one of the top cupboards in the kitchen

cathy

MissTinkerbell
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
On my pre-reg I was told that the Fire Blanket needed to be in the kitchen near but NOT above the cooker. It has to be easily accessible. She also said that any fire extinguishers should be on a route out of the house - not sure why.

My first aid box is on top of my wall mounted cupboards in the kitchen.

charleyfarley
02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Fire blanket is mounted on the wall. Then I have several first aid kits dotted about. One in the kitchen on top of the fridge freezer.
One in the playroom on top of the tall bookcase. One small one in the pushchair and one in the car. Think I have them all covered.

Carol xx

manjay
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
On my pre-reg I was told that the Fire Blanket needed to be in the kitchen near but NOT above the cooker. It has to be easily accessible. She also said that any fire extinguishers should be on a route out of the house - not sure why.
My first aid box is on top of my wall mounted cupboards in the kitchen.

Fire extinguishers are designed to aid your escape from the house, not put the fire out as many people think. That's why they should be on your route out.

chubbymummy
02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
as oyhers have said my fire blanket is on wall near but not over cooker

my first aid kit is in a wall mounted box in the kitchen

Rubybubbles
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
my are both in the kitchen, blanket near but not next to cooker and first aid kit just inside mounted high for quick grab through

Fire extinguishers are designed to aid your escape from the house, not put the fire out as many people think. That's why they should be on your route out.

thanks for that:thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
My kitchen is not huge so the fire blanket is on the wall by my patio door, think one end of the U-shape and the cooker is in the middle bit, close enough to get to without being too close to the cooker.
Mt first aid is on a dresser type cupboard where my older children can fetch it for me if necessary, lo's aren't allowed in my kitchen unattended (stairgate)
and the inspector was happy with that.

mrsb
02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
my fist aid box and my fire blanket are both on the back of a large cupboard door in the kitchen :)

Mollymop
02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
My fire blanket is on the kitchen wall but not right near to the cooker. My box is ontop of the kitchen units.

miffy
02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
My fire blanket is near the cooker in the kitchen and my first aid box is in a cupboard in the kitchen

Miffy xx

manjay
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Our fire safety officer also said that they thought fire blankets were a waste of time. Apparently loads of people injure them selves because they lift the blanket to throw over the fire, can't see where they are going and trip into the fire! Doh!

miffy
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Our fire safety officer also said that they thought fire blankets were a waste of time. Apparently loads of people injure them selves because they lift the blanket to throw over the fire, can't see where they are going and trip into the fire! Doh!

Oh sorry Amanda but that made me laugh - I must admit I'd never thought how big they are, never had to use one so just figured it would fit over my cooker but not be much wider than the hob.

Seems I must think again

Miffy xx

manjay
02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Oh sorry Amanda but that made me laugh - I must admit I'd never thought how big they are, never had to use one so just figured it would fit over my cooker but not be much wider than the hob.

Seems I must think again

Miffy xx

Not sure they trip over the blanket but more a case of lifting it up in front of their face to throw over the fire. They then can't see where they are going. Gave me a bit of a giggle aswell:laughing:

Pedagog
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I won't have a fire blanket, I don't have a chip pan, (and wouldn't be allowed one, DH is a firefighter and hates them). But if I did need one it would be on my kitchen wall.

First Aid kits already have, one in downstairs toilet nest to back door for the garden, one in shed, one in kitchen and one in bathroom upstairs., plus of course one in the car, and basic supplies in my handbag.

susi513
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Your DH view is valid - while you're fumbling with the fire blanket you are not getting children to safety. Is it not a requirement to have one any more?

I don't have a chip pan but still had a fire in my kitchen (long before childminding and no fire blanket in place). I hadn't turned the gas off and a plastic toy on the counter got knocked/was close enough to melt and start a fire on the hob.

I thew a wet tea towel over it - didn't slow it for barely a second although it looked like a very small fire. I then made the mistake of going upstairs for a towel - I should have got out the house & called 999. But I was lucky and the wet towel put it out. But not before the entire downstairs floor ceiling was black with smoke - my eyebrows, lashes, nose were black with soot. And I wasn't next to the fire for very long at all.

I've been on fire safety training but until you actually see a real fire it doesn't really sink in how quickly the fire grows and how little time you actually have to get out.

My fire blanket is opposite the cooker, by the door as you go in. (no other wall space for it). My main first aid kit is on top of cupboard in playroom, I have another kit in the car and a small kit in changing bag and another in bag on back of buggy.

Pedagog
03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
You were lucky weren't you? could have been far worse.

Pudding Girl
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
It's a requirement to have a fire blanket regardless of if you use a chip pan or not. Other things can happen ( see above lol!)

My fireblanket is on adjacent wall to the cooker hob on a hook, first aid is in the bathroom on the shelf and have a travel one that stays in the changing bag.

Pedagog
03-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Will have to get one then.