PDA

View Full Version : 22 month old pushing and hitting

squeely wheely
06-04-2013, 10:00 PM
A 22 month old mindee keeps pushing and hitting my 10month old son whenever he goes near him last week he pushed him into a walk causing a bump on his head it makes me so angry I have to watch him like a hawk. I've tried redirection, stern talking to, time out, but if he thinks I can't see him he'll walk up to my son and try and hit him. Mum says she's on board to try and help his behaviour but I don't think she likes disciplining him. I've seen him hit both his parents in the face before.

shortstuff
07-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Is lo the same with other children? Or just yours?

Youve tried quite a bit have you jusr tried bigging him up if playing nicely near yours? Sometimes constant praise helps build their self esteem so much that they no longer need to get the upper hand.

FussyElmo
07-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Mmm is this a bit of learnt behaviour? At the minute he knows that to get your undivided attention whether it be negative, is to do something to your son.

Over emphasis when he does something good any little thing. Maybe involve him more leave the wipes when you go to change your son and ask this mindee to get them for you so he starts to learn that good attention is a lot better .

squeely wheely
07-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Is lo the same with other children? Or just yours?

Youve tried quite a bit have you jusr tried bigging him up if playing nicely near yours? Sometimes constant praise helps build their self esteem so much that they no longer need to get the upper hand.

Funny you should ask that we were at a soft play place last week the lo went running with bigger boys, didn't hit them, then came straight over and pushed my boy in the face. So I think just mine. I praise him loads, sometimes I think we ate making a breakthrough, then in the next breath he hits or trys to hit again :(

squeely wheely
07-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Mmm is this a bit of learnt behaviour? At the minute he knows that to get your undivided attention whether it be negative, is to do something to your son.

Over emphasis when he does something good any little thing. Maybe involve him more leave the wipes when you go to change your son and ask this mindee to get them for you so he starts to learn that good attention is a lot better .

Thanks for your advice. He's only been here a couple of weeks and has been doing this since day one. His parents say his cousins used to push him, so maybe he's learnt it from them. I don't know. I'll carry on with the praise. I'm really hoping its just a phase. I'll definitely do that with the wipes, I've started explaining to the lo when I'm going to change my sons nappy or when he's happy and sad to try and give some awareness of my son. If that makes sense. :-/