PDA

View Full Version : 22 month old pushing and hitting

squeely wheely
06-04-2013, 09:54 PM
A 22 month old mindee keeps pushing and hitting my 10month old son whenever he goes near him last week he pushed him into a walk causing a bump on his head :( it makes me so angry I have to watch him like a hawk. I've tried redirection, stern talking to, time out, but if he thinks I can't see him he'll walk up to my son and try and hit him. Mum says she's on board to try and help his behaviour but I don't think she likes disciplining him. I've seen him hit both his parents in the face before.

MessybutHappy
06-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Have you tried holding his hands gently and saying "I can see you are having trouble controlling your hands. In this house, we don't push, so until you think you can control your hands I'll do it for you".

Depends on how aware he is, he may be too young, but I have seen this tactic work. I think it's because we're blaming the hands, not the child and they can manage that better?

blue bear
07-04-2013, 09:23 AM
You will need to shadow him until this phase passes, never leave him alone with a vulnerable younger child, either take the hitter with you or your own child. Be vigilant and try to intervene every time he goes to push or hits with a firm no and popping him away from the intended victim. When he does make contact sit him behind you with that's not nice we don't like hitting here and comfort the victim. Get the hitter to say sorry by rubbing or cuddling the victim (you will probably need to hep his hands to say sorry)
Try to stay calm but be firm, think about how you can limit the opportunities, things like story time you sitting between the children,drop off and collection having your lo in the high chair with your body preventing access to him.

kellyskidz!
07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
I'd do all the below and use Circle Time/Discussion Time to talk about feeling happy and sad etc, and what we do if we feel cross. At 22 months he probably won't understand most of it but keep renforcing it and he'll learn that you have rules and one of them is not hitting. I think I'd consider giving notice if I'm totally honest, if all else fails- I wouldn't have my own child feeling vunerable in her own home, but it may just be a phase and something he will come to understand is unacceptable. Good luck!!

squeely wheely
07-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all of your advice, I'm going to give it all a go xx

SYLVIA
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I have a small board book called Hands are not for hitting and this worked for the hitter/pusher I had. It may help

squeely wheely
07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a small board book called Hands are not for hitting and this worked for the hitter/pusher I had. It may help

Ohh cool I'll look for that. I've just got one called tails are not for pulling as he also pulls my dogs tail :-(