PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn, can I??

harleyrider
06-04-2013, 04:08 PM
On a lovely 'signs of spring' walk yesterday the children and I found huge clumps of frogspawn in a 'pond' on a public footpath.
The children asked if we could take some to watch it grow. I told them I'd need to find out so:
Is it legal for me to remove some spawn then return the tadpoles/frogs to the pond?
Has anybody else done this? Was it successful?
Any information would be appreciated :-)

moggy
06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
On a lovely 'signs of spring' walk yesterday the children and I found huge clumps of frogspawn in a 'pond' on a public footpath.
The children asked if we could take some to watch it grow. I told them I'd need to find out so:
Is it legal for me to remove some spawn then return the tadpoles/frogs to the pond?
Has anybody else done this? Was it successful?
Any information would be appreciated :-)

We have a tank of tadpoles from our own pond at the moment. Who owns the pond? You could say that if everyone well-meaningly took a bit of frogspawn there would be none left for nature... but then again a little subtly taken might not be a problem..?!

Alternatively, ask around to see if any friends have a pond, generally garden pond owners who have loads are happy to give away some. And yes, the tadpoles/frogs need to be returned to the pond they came from.

Or just make weekly visits to the pond to see what you can see there, tadpoles often gather at water's edge where it is warmer.

A tank of tadpoles do need a bit of work over a few months, though- cleaning our weekly (they poo a LOT!), rain water (water butt water) for the tank, pond weed, and appropriate food (feeding ours on algae from our pond at the moment which they love) and as far as I remember the little frogs are good at escaping from the tank (needs a good cover)!.

Zoomie
06-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I've asked my neighbour across the road for some frog spawn and will be returning them to the pond after a bit.

Thanks for the info about cleaning every week.

harleyrider
08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
We have a tank of tadpoles from our own pond at the moment. Who owns the pond? You could say that if everyone well-meaningly took a bit of frogspawn there would be none left for nature... but then again a little subtly taken might not be a problem..?!

Alternatively, ask around to see if any friends have a pond, generally garden pond owners who have loads are happy to give away some. And yes, the tadpoles/frogs need to be returned to the pond they came from.

Or just make weekly visits to the pond to see what you can see there, tadpoles often gather at water's edge where it is warmer.

A tank of tadpoles do need a bit of work over a few months, though- cleaning our weekly (they poo a LOT!), rain water (water butt water) for the tank, pond weed, and appropriate food (feeding ours on algae from our pond at the moment which they love) and as far as I remember the little frogs are good at escaping from the tank (needs a good cover)!.

Thanks great information :-)
The 'pond' is at the start of a public footpath right next to a very busy road, it is more of a stagnant naturally formed puddle that can be littered with drinks cans and the such like :-(
I was thinking of returning regularly but the children who were most interested would be back at school next week and therefore this wouldn't be possible. I've thought of returning with the younger one's and taking photos for the older ones, but it's not the same.

tas
08-04-2013, 11:05 AM
If you do take spawn have a google on how to look after them as there is lots of information available and once they are froglets release them back into the area you found them as they will return year after year to breed.

Once they have back legs they turn carnivorous so will need raw meat or a source of protein otherwise they will eat each other! :eek: and once they front legs have developed they will need stones to be able to get out of the water to rest or else they drown.

Good luck, tadpoles are lush! :)