PDA

View Full Version : Older Sister Collecting 4 Year Old

kimnolan87
05-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I have just had a parent visit with dad and son, who is 4.

The arrangements would be mum dropping off ready for the school run but sister collecting after school on her way home. The older sister is 15 - turning 16 in August.

Would you agree to do this?

Is it even legal for a child to be left with another child, even at that age?

Many thanks,

Kim

clareelizabeth1
05-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I know the nursery down my road only let's over 18s pick up children. The one a little further away allows 16 year olds to pick up. After all they are old enough to have there own at 16.

Personally I would meet the girl then decide. As long as the parents sign to say its ok I wouldn't have a problem with it. Parents obviously trust the girl.

zippy
05-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I have just had a parent visit with dad and son, who is 4.

The arrangements would be mum dropping off ready for the school run but sister collecting after school on her way home. The older sister is 15 - turning 16 in August.

Would you agree to do this?

Is it even legal for a child to be left with another child, even at that age?

Many thanks,

Kim

I expect 16 is probably legal, after all she could legally have a baby herself at this age, have you tried googling legal age limits for looking after a minor

bunyip
05-04-2013, 05:11 PM
It would appear from this: Leaving children home alone | For parents | NSPCC (http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/for-parents-and-carers/parenting-advice/home-alone/home-alone_wda90761.html) that there isn't even a legal age for a child to be left 'home alone'.

I suspect it might be one of those things that would only be decided by a court if/when something went wrong. In that case, I'd enquire with your insurer/professional association and possibly the LSCB. AThen I'd go with the highest age anyone (including myself) recommended IYSWIM.

Sarsar3NCH
05-04-2013, 05:31 PM
My local first school lets children leave with older siblings (often nearer 12/13). A 15 year old can babysit so I wouldn't have a problem, as long as parents are happy and permissions in place. It is definitely one of those grey areas

Mouse
05-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a 15/16yr old collecting a sibling.

I would get parents to sign a permission form & make it clear to them that once mindee has left your house, they become their parents' responsibility.

Rick
05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I have a similar situation. Mum or mindee's sister gets him ready in the morning and sister (about 15 or 16) collects in the evening more often than not. I have a permission slip from mum for this arrangement. I knew mindee before I had him because he was child-minded by my friend who has since left town and I took him on. She had no problems with sister who is very mature (I suspect she looks after him more than mum does).

You can probably tell straight away if mum and sister are suitable for this arrangement.

LauraS
05-04-2013, 06:02 PM
What would you do if the 15/16 year old was the mum? (and as an aside, the nursery previously mentioned - do they have no under 17s as parents there?!)

I would make it watertight with paperwork etc and make sure my insurance was happy to cover me, but once that was done I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe not ok. But.I'd allow it :)

winstonian
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I have a 16 year old who has been collecting her 8 year old sister for a year. She used to collect her from school and look after her before the 16 year old started getting so much school work her mum thought it wasnt fair so sent the 8 year old to me, also I was cheaper than the 16 year old :)

clareelizabeth1
05-04-2013, 07:49 PM
What would you do if the 15/16 year old was the mum? (and as an aside, the nursery previously mentioned - do they have no under 17s as parents there?!)

I would make it watertight with paperwork etc and make sure my insurance was happy to cover me, but once that was done I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe not ok. But.I'd allow it :)

No they didn't. It is quite shall we say upper class. And I think the people who run it would put anyone under the age of 25 going there. You would take two parents working full time and in really good jobs to afford it to. I know I couldn't my lo will just have to put up with me.