PDA

View Full Version : Charging for my holidays

jashol
05-04-2013, 07:30 AM
As my income is my only income in my home I was going to start any new children on a new contract to the others and tell parents that half the fees are due on my holidays and their holidays as my bills are still needing to be paid on a low income , just wondering if anyone had any advice for me on this ? Do you charge half fees ? Does it work for you ?

julie w
05-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi I used to charge half for mine and half for theirs. It worked well most of the time but I realised I should have given a limit to how many holidays parents could have at half fees. One parent booked loads of holidays and I was forever thinking I could have had full pay from some one else.I've been minding 13 years now and I now charge full for their holidays and none for mine. However no matter what anyone else says (and everyone has their own opinion) it is your business and you can charge how you want, holidays included.

jashol
05-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Thank you what would say would be an acceptable amount of time for their holidays ? 4 weeks a year ?

karensmart4
05-04-2013, 07:55 AM
I have been minding for 12 years now and have changed things over that time to what works best for me! I used to charge 50% for any time off on the mindee's side and none for mine...... I now charge in line with the nurseries and pre-schools in the area, that is 100% if they are off and I still stick to no charge if I'm off as I think that if I
'm not available I shouldn't charge.... but that's just me and it's how I class being self employed.

Helen79
05-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I used to charge 1/2 fee for my holiday and 1/2 fee for parent's holiday but parents ended up taking loads of days off here and there for half fee for things like dr appointments so I ended up worse off for it. Now I charge full fee for their time off and don't charge for my holiday which works better for me, I just have to plan for my holidays.
If you do decide to charge 1/2 fee for your holiday I don't think it would be fair to do that just for new parents, I would change everyone's contracts so all parents are paying the same.

caz3007
05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I charge 1/2 for both but have a max of 4 weeks on their side. My full timer usually just fits in with my holiday, so it works out ok for us.

chezzagriff
08-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I charge full for their time off and none for mine. As a few have already said I dont think its fair to charge for my own time off as they may have to pay for other chiuldcare. :thumbsup:

zippy
08-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I personally wouldn't use a childminder that charges me for their holidays, what if I couldn't get that time off etc, I'd have to a you for you holiday then pay someone else too. I don't believe childminders should charge for this we are self employed we gave up the right to aid holiday when we made that decision. I do however charge full for their holidays in term time and give a half price concession in school hols which once booked this is non changeable so i can then to book somewhere at same time. However you can do it if you want to, just don't be surprised if it puts some off, If I was doing this four weeks would def be limit and I'd give all holidays at start of year s hey old tailor their holidays to my dates.

hectors house
08-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't charge anything when I am not available to have the children - my holidays, bank holidays or when I am ill - I do charge the parents half fee if they give 4 weeks notice of their holidays - max of 4 weeks a year.

I am thinking though of changing it in line with Nurseries and charging the parents full fee for their holidays as when you add up 6 part time children all having 4 weeks holiday at half fee I am losing out on quite a lot of income.

CLL
08-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I also do not charge for my holidays and take 5 weeks a year. Parents pay for any time outside of this they have off. I tell parents when they visit and they decide if this works for them. I have had a parent not sign because of my holiday dates being fixed, she wanted me to take them when it suited her instead. I think you do what you need to but I would only change it for new parents, tell them upfront and be prepared that some will not sign because of this. Good luck deciding