PDA

View Full Version : Childminder start-up grant?

Emra81
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and am currently working my way towards registration. I cannot tell you how unbelievably helpful this forum has been as I've learnt a huge amount about what the job entails and have noted loads of examples of good practice...thank you!

So, for the first of what will undoubtedly be many many questions I'll throw your way, does anyone know where I might find out about the £250 childminder start-up grant that the media have been teasing me with? I've asked the childminding team at my LA and they could shed no light (I'm already starting to see a pattern forming there!). They said they knew nothing about it and I should go back to my original source of info to find out more!

I'm guessing it's only available in certain areas but want to find out for sure I'm not eligible to apply.

Any help much appreciated :-)

nikkiv
04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
It was only £100 in my area and that is only if you do your CYPOP 5 with NCMA I didn't and did with a different college so didn't get it but was nearly £100 better off for not doing it with NCMA

Helen Dempster
04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
There used to be a £250 start up grant - I got it when I started in 2008, but I believe it no longer exists now! :mad: Not very helpful for new CMs coming through!!

CLL
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
There is a grant coming out but I think it has not been finalised yet as to how you receive it. As most funding is now getting cut for training you may just get a £250 voucher towards pre-reg training. (That was my DO's thoughts). No concrete info that I am aware of yet.

Jenna
04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
I registered last year I'm in Wales and I had £250 grant it paid for all my training, first years ncma membership then I had £50 left to spend on instructors recommendations after my Pre inspection.

Emra81
05-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your replies guys...it's so annoying that they make these things so difficult to get hold of sometimes (for obvious reasons!).

My Auntie is a cm and said she read in one of her many magazines that it would be available this month, which I'm sure I remember reading myself somewhere else. Gggrrrr!

CLL, I was wondering the same about some kind of credit towards training...I don't wanna fork out for training now and find out I'm therefore not eligible for help towards it coz I've already paid!

I shall keep furtling round on t'internet and hope to find some answers!

Ta muchly :-)