PDA

View Full Version : Fire evacuation abd under 2s

tori4
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
So I have notice a lot of local CM have been picked up on evacuation practise on their ofsted reports.

I currently have a reminder set on my phone once a mnth and because if the age of the children I acknowledge it and take a second to think what I would do.

So now the children are a little older ( 9mths-26mnth) settled and no longer dealing with a major biting issue I feel I need to do actual practises with the children.

So any ideas ? With out scarring the LO's but getting them to understand only x2 are talkers and only just.

one of conundrums is if LO is alseep upstairs and the other x2 are down stairs - do I go upstairs to get baby with the other 2 or put them on the doorstep inside or out?

Sometimes I have a pushchair in hallway but not always its a nothing to carry to the car for sch run.

If i put x2 16mth olds outside my themselves how do I tell em to stand still whilst I go upstairs to get baby of n not run of and play or worry that they haven't got shoes n coat on- this really bothers one LO oh and let the nosy neighbours now we r doing fire practise n not letting LO's play outside by themselves .

Thanks in advance for your thoughts xT

lisbet
04-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Joining the thread to learn more about this, hope that's ok :)

Helen79
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I would only do a fire practise when all the children are awake, fed and happy playing so that they aren't going to be upset by the evacuation. I wait til they're all happy playing and then press the smoke alarm test button so it beeps a few times, then tell them what's happening, gather them up and we all leave together and stand on the driveway. We stand for a few minutes to chat about why we're outside with no shoes and coats on then go back inside to play again.
I don't think you need to actually practise what you would do if baby is asleep, just write it down what you would do in that scenario on your evacuation policy to show that you've thought about it.

Helen Dempster
04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I would give them prior warning, maybe read a Fireman Sam story and talk a bit about fire danger etc (Frances the Firefly is a great story). I (wrongly) practised a fire drill in the past without telling any of the children what was going to happen, I just set the alarm off and then said it was a practice blah blah....it resulted in alot of tears and scared children (oops!). So now I make sure I give them a day's notice to prepare them and also let them know about an hour before the event. We've had some brilliant fire drills as well as some horrendous ones! One that comes to mind was when one mindee was crying, one mindee really didn't understand what was going on, my 14yo DS was just strolling along in his "whatever" mode, 6yo DS went back for his toys! I laugh about it now, but at the time.... :laughing: