PDA

View Full Version : PLA calls for clarification on Ofsted inspection statistics

Simona
04-04-2013, 03:03 PM
sorry a bit more bad news but worth reading

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/359/alliance-calls-for-clarification-of-ofsted-childcare-inspection-statistics

hectors house
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Maybe I'm not reading it right - does it mean that Ofsted have been focusing on the settings that previously had satisfactory and have now rated some of them inadequate or is it that the gradings for Nurseries have been changed - I have only had quick look, maybe I need to read it again!

sarah707
04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I wonder if that will take the percentage of nurseries with satisfactory / unsatisfactory to below the number of childminders... which then totally and utterly negates the argument that childminders are 'lagging behind'...

Or are childminder results equally worrying?

How do we find out? Does anyone know who monitors these things for childminders?

Thank you for sharing Simona :D

jadavi
04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
They are concerned that so many have been down graded and want to have better guidelines and to ask for a response.

loocyloo
04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
the thing is ... this inspection cycle has STARTED with the lowest graded settings being inspected, so either they haven't pulled themselves up/made any changes, or the inspection is tougher, meaning those that were trying still haven't hit the mark.

i would like to know percentage of childminders with poor inspections

but equally important - the numbers of children this affects, as more children will be affected by low achieving nurseries than childminders i would presume.

Simona
04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
The press release says 'daycare' settings so we can assume these are nurseries not preschools as they never refer to themselves as daycare
Yes Ofsted did say they would concentrate on those who have been satisfactory...
LAs of course know the results as they are fed the results of inspections by Ofsted...PACEY could try to clarify as well. I have posted this on Local too

The most important thing is to find out why and where they have failed...in the care or the education side since paperwork is not as prominent as it was before...that would give us the best indication on where we need to concentrate for our inspections?

I am going to send this link to my LA and we should all ask them to provide training/support that concentrates/reflects these new grades

all this and then a new framework to be consulted on ...according to Sue Gregory whose response I got today....the new consultation will 'be out in a few weeks'
I feel all consulted out but I know wwe can't give up as yet!

hectors house
04-04-2013, 06:15 PM
the thing is ... this inspection cycle has STARTED with the lowest graded settings being inspected, so either they haven't pulled themselves up/made any changes, or the inspection is tougher, meaning those that were trying still haven't hit the mark.

but equally important - the numbers of children this affects, as more children will be affected by low achieving nurseries than childminders i would presume.

Glad I was reading it right then - I had a nosy on local childminding inspection reports the other day to try to work out when my overdue inspection will happen and I could see that they were only doing people who had satisfactory last time or just registered - I can comfirm that most of the ones I looked at still only got satisfactory - whether they had improved or not is hard to say with a different framework and probably different inspector with different ideas. I bet if you had 2 inspections on the same day with different inspectors they wouldn't be consistant.:panic:

loocyloo
04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Glad I was reading it right then - I had a nosy on local childminding inspection reports the other day to try to work out when my overdue inspection will happen and I could see that they were only doing people who had satisfactory last time or just registered - I can comfirm that most of the ones I looked at still only got satisfactory - whether they had improved or not is hard to say with a different framework and probably different inspector with different ideas. I bet if you had 2 inspections on the same day with different inspectors they wouldn't be consistant.:panic:

my DO spoke to a contact at ofsted last september & was told it was new providers/complaints all the time & then satisfactory first & slowly moving up the grades within a 4 yr cycle.

jadavi
04-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Is complaints the same as an investigation (even if proved innocent)? It's standard procedure to have an Ofsted inspection 6 months after an investigation whatever the outcome was and regardless of how recent your last inspection was...

Rubybubbles
05-04-2013, 08:11 AM

I can tell you in hampshire soon just waiting for the email:thumbsup:)

Rubybubbles
05-04-2013, 08:19 AM

recent training said they are inspecting

Inadequates
newbies
satisfactory (all on par for timing)

then if you have had 2 inspections

satisfactory + satisfactory then
satisfactory + good

then onto good + good

so far in hampshire no one who had good + good has been inspected and since Sept only 92 inspections on childminders (this was mid March) (they have been analyzing the trends)

having also looked at Local Ofsted reports not many are jumping up levels but then they never want any support from the the support offered! Just by being on here, proves you want to do better!

Simona
05-04-2013, 09:55 AM
If you wish to see the statistics and grades awarded to cms inspected since EYFS12 these have been posted in PACEY Local

I am not sure if I can copy/paste them here but those who access that forum can take a look.

AgentTink
05-04-2013, 10:31 AM
If you wish to see the statistics and grades awarded to cms inspected since EYFS12 these have been posted in PACEY Local

I am not sure if I can copy/paste them here but those who access that forum can take a look.

Simone are the results posted just since EYFS 12 as it seems to read as "since the start of the EYFS". Could you clarify please. Thanks .

Simona
05-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I asked myself the same question...I assume they forgot to put 2012 after EYFS because this is what the statistics refer to: inspections under EYFS 12...I will see if I can get clarification

loocyloo
05-04-2013, 01:42 PM
recent training said they are inspecting

Inadequates
newbies
satisfactory (all on par for timing)

then if you have had 2 inspections

satisfactory + satisfactory then
satisfactory + good

then onto good + good

so far in hampshire no one who had good + good has been inspected and since Sept only 92 inspections on childminders (this was mid March) (they have been analyzing the trends)

having also looked at Local Ofsted reports not many are jumping up levels but then they never want any support from the the support offered! Just by being on here, proves you want to do better!

its sounding more and more like i won't be inspected for a while then! think i've had 2 inspections - good & outstanding ...

Simona
05-04-2013, 02:02 PM
That is what we were told at the ofsted workshop I organized last November...that sequence fits

Why all this when we are going to have a new inspection framework in Sept 2013 and back to square one on statistics that will also include agencies??
If Ofsted really wanted to cut their costs rather than look at how much cms cost to inspect and register...they should call in an auditor to tell them how much they waste in useless bureaucracy!!

hectors house
05-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Inspite of posting that I thought they were still doing Satisfactory childminders in my area heard today that they had rung someone who got Good last time, she only had an inspection 2 years ago - think she fobbed them off for a while longer.