PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics

mumto2
04-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi all, please forgive me for posting this, but would like to know if i can mind a child who was given antibiotics today? Only have him twice a week, so not due to see him again now till next week. Not been in this situation before (havent got time to search through all the posts on here!!) Thanks in advance xx

Koala
04-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi

I exclude for 48 hours after first dose for childs safety and other children.
Child is obviously ill if he has been prescribed antibiotics and could possibly put you and other children at risk. Also if he is ill he is prone to pick up more infections - he should be at home, in my opinion.
Sometimes reactions to medication can occur and it isn't fair for you to have to deal with it, my son had a reaction to penicillin - SCARY!

Daftbat
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
You need to check regarding the actual illness that the antibiotics are being prescribed for. You can't just get an overall answer. Recently a child I care for had Scarlet fever which could be accepted into the setting 24 hours after starting antibiotics following the health guidelines which you should have a copy of. (By the way this is also a notifiable disease - big learning curve that day:laughing:) Quite often children are not exactly ill - e.g ear infections can sometimes be quite mild if they are caught early enough and I have often cared for children with something like this who are even attending school and I have gone to administer at lunchtime for the parent.

nikki thomson
04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I have lo all the time while he's on antibiotics, he's always on them for something. This time it's infected nappy rash, just one of those things.
Obviously if it was something contagious then it would be different but , they spend so much time together if ones got something the likelihood is they'll all get it.