PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, Hello!

HelenC1234
03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I've been wanting to start childminding for a long time now, but because I'm in a flat I didn't think I could. Now I know I can, I'm really excited! I've got a little girl who is 7 this month, and a little boy who is 16 months.
I've been looking through the forum today and almost every question I have been thinking has been answered, thankfully or this would be a REALLY long post. And I've taken lots of notes ect...All, apart from one! I've been talking it all through with my partner this evening, and he's concerned I might be rushing into it. I've been out of work and on benefits for a long time, too long really, and he's worried I'm diving in head first to a lot of responsibility and pressure and thinks it might be a good idea for me to work part time for a year first so I get back into a working mind set...what do you think?
I love the idea of being able to work at home with my little one and being around for my eldest, being my own boss and having some meaning back in my life and paying my own way!
I know I need to get some savings in the bank, and be really careful with my time management so the family don't suffer while I'm training. I'm going to speak to my lone parent advisor at the job center next week and see about funding and grants I may be entitled to.
I'm not naive in thinking it will be an easy ride to get there, but I love a challenge, I love learning, and I love working and the fact I can be with my own kids is really getting me excited to be working again, rather than the dread I felt leaving my daughter with a childminder while I worked previously.

Has anyone gone from being a SAHM on benefits straight into minding?

jillplum
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi Helen and welcome to the forum. When I first started I was a sahm of three. It all worked out fine just take it one step at a time. Good luck

HelenC1234
04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Thank you x :)

safcfluff
04-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Helen.

HelenC1234
04-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Another question:
Once I've completed all the training courses etc, do I have to register straight away or will I have time prepare financially aswell as getting the house ready? Or is it done automatically after you have finishing training?
I've had an email this eve inviting me to the briefing and a leaflet has been sent in the email but it doesn't really give much away, I presume all this will be covered in the briefing, but want to get as much info as I can before schlepping all the way there!
Thank you!

adedwards68
04-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Hi

I've just finished my training and now am in the process of registering. In my area you have to register within 6 months of completing the course or we have to redo the course. I'm not sure if its the same in all areas. They should definitely tell you this on the briefing session
Good luck!

MessybutHappy
05-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Hi Helen. You may find you don't need to do to much to your place as you've got little ones already! I didn't apart from replacing a couple of drawer locks!

HelenC1234
05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
My briefing session isn't until the end of August so I've got at least until then to get some stuff sorted, there's some home improvements I need to make anyway, redecorating and carpeting and getting organised with storage. I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can!
This forum is a massive help, learning a lot already! :)

angeldelight
05-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Hi Helen

Welcome to the forum

Once your registered you can go any pace you want ...you make the rules ...if you want part time there are lots of parents that only require a few days ..some just want holidays etc ...so you can go it slow and see how it goes you don't have to rush into anything you don't want to do

You will find it can be hard work even with one or two children ...some children are demanding parents too ..but great rewards ...some fantastic parents and most children get settled so you enjoy them too

Take one day at a time and have fun

Heaps of info here as you have seen

Good luck and keep us posted

Angel xx