PDA

View Full Version : Uncollected learning journal

tigwig
03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
How long would you keep a child's learning journal for? A mindee left just before Christmas and missed his last 2 days due to chickenpox so I never got the chance to give it to mum. I've text her a few times and she promises to come round and get it but never does. Really annoying actually when you think of all the hours of work gone in to it. I am tempted to empty all the stuff out of it and reuse the folder again but its typical if I do that she will turn up for it! Do you think its reasonable to do that?

loocyloo
03-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Could you make a paper folder for it? & then reuse folder?

moggy
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I always re-use the folders! I take out hole-punched contents and tie up with string through the holes, or in a soft plastic cover with the bendy metal ring-binder doodahs in, to give to parents.
Are they near enough for you to pop through their letter box? I would phone and ask, rather than text, always more personal and more likely to find out what is going on at the other end. And say you can not hold on to it because of data protection (which is true) and please can she collect by xxx date or you will need to securely dispose of it.

rickysmiths
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I have 4 now I keep them on the shelf for 3 months and then I file them in the box in the loft with the child's folder, with all their accident info and attendance, contacts etc and it will be destroyed on their 21 yr 3mth birthday.

muffins
03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I'd be tempted to go round there one evening when they'll prob be in and shove it at them and say with a big grin on my face 'was just pasing so thought I'd pop it in'!:D

zippy
03-04-2013, 09:24 PM
It's a shame as I expect lo would have loved looking back at their memories with you.

chezzagriff
04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
It is a shame. To mum it might not seem like much now but in a few years time when she and lo want to look back at the times shared during these years she will soon regret not collecting it. I would do as moggy suggested... Tell mum that if its not collected by a certain date it will be securely disposed of.:thumbsup:

Helen79
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
If mum keeps forgetting to collect it then I'd take it out of the folder and either post it through their door or post it recorded delivery to them. Its the property of the child so I wouldn't feel comfortable destroying it or keeping hold of it so would make sure that the child got it.