PDA

View Full Version : Can i do this and what to charge?

sprinkles
03-04-2013, 07:07 AM
After very few enquiries I replied to a post on gumtree last night for a family looking for a nanny/childminder for their three children. They are moving about a 20 minute drive from me in July and it would be about 40hrs per week. The children are all under 4 so would take up all three of my pre-school places full time, although oldest will be going to nursery part time I think.

We discussed the pros and cons of being a nanny and I then suggested I could take them on as a childminder and since I wouldn't have any other children in my care I would be happy to pick them up and drop them off at their house. She then asked if I would be able to do some time here and some time at their house? I'm not sure how this would work as part of the time I would technically be their employee? Thoughts on this please? She's seen my website etc and thinks it is excellent, so she seems pretty keen. She did say she had been inundated with replies though so I'm trying to offer something the others maybe won't? They want to use childcare vouchers to pay and I know it's much easier when a childminder than a nanny.

I'm also wondering how to charge? I told her if she looks into costs for a nanny, I will look into my costs and since she is using all three spaces we could come to an arrangement. Would you do a set weekly fee? I could be earning £10 an hour but thinking £400 a week for one family is a little steep? The money isn't hugely important to me as long as I earn enough so we can get by - I just want to do my dream job!

Help please!!

shortstuff
03-04-2013, 07:17 AM
As you say money isnt important to you why done you figure out how much you need to get by on? Then add enough to be able to pay your tax and ni and some for savings.

The reason i say some for savings is, if this family give you notice thats a tough one to replace and you might need a buffer.

CLL
03-04-2013, 07:22 AM
I think you should sit down with her and discuss both your requirements. Remember you are starting a new business and it can take time. I have been registered 2 months and after a few enquiries I am now starting next week. A nanny will cost a lot less for her than paying for 3 full time places and a nanny often has to tidy up/ do laundry etc in their house. If you are happy with what she is wanting then work out how much you would need to be paid. For a childminder £400 per week for 3 places is quite cheep for a nanny it is high. Would you be happy working for someone else?

The Juggler
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I think at the end of the day it all depends on whether you will want to take on extra work as well. This will mean no other after schoolers.

When her oldest child starts school you will then be able to have another under 5 but if you work as a nanny sometimes in her house, you wouldn't be able to look after them in her house. Will she be happy about you taking on other children?

On the other hand, one family, keep your house tidy, when they are away, you are off. I can see advantages of both.

You can work for her as a self employed nanny, if you are registered she can still use her vouchers and that way you still set your rules.

angeldelight
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Bit of a difficult one

I agree with the juggler

I don't think you should undercut yourself either even if your not bothered about the extra money ...

I think with this job you might have to decide if you want to be a nanny or a childminder ....if its a childminder then do everything you do now ...in your home
If they really like you then they will go for that

You could bend over backwards for them and it's not saying they will go for you

Be yourself ..set the rules ...do what you want ....whatever makes you happy then do that

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xxx

sprinkles
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone.

I want to be a childminder but work is so scarce in this area due to there being about 14 of us in the one town. Good point about not being able to take on other kids though.

Pros and cons to me are
Nanny pros - in their house so my house stays tidy, no paperwork etc (except financial if I go self employed) unlike childminding, close to the nursery for little one, they don't eat me out of house and home.

Nanny cons - can't take on other children, possibility of being bossed about and expected to do housework etc for them, I've spent lots of money getting the house etc ready for childminding (will that all go to waste if I'm then a nanny?)

Childminder pros - in my own home, I set the rules etc, can do what we like without feeling like parents are going to tell me I must do this and that with the children.

Childminder cons - if I travel to pick up and drop off little ones then I'd be limited for taking on other children, I'd have to buy another car to run and insure (wasn't planning on using the car and the one we have will cost too much to run).

Can anyone tell me how the childcare vouchers work with nannies? Do I have to register with an agency to be able to accept them?

I think with childminding I just need to register on a website?

I think being a nanny would be easier but then I've spent all this time and money on becoming a childminder. What would happen if I finally got my registration certificate and then decided to be a nanny? Would I then have to register all over again in the future?

Gosh, it's a hard decision.

The Juggler
03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
reading between the lines here, you would rather be a CM. If you are a self employed nanny, you can use that as your Unique selling point, she doesn't need to pay you for holidays, sick, you pay your own tax etc, etc, so saving her money but your rate will be xxxxx.

You register with ofsted as a nanny and then she can use her childcare vouchers.:thumbsup:

sprinkles
03-04-2013, 10:36 AM
reading between the lines here, you would rather be a CM. If you are a self employed nanny, you can use that as your Unique selling point, she doesn't need to pay you for holidays, sick, you pay your own tax etc, etc, so saving her money but your rate will be xxxxx.

You register with ofsted as a nanny and then she can use her childcare vouchers.:thumbsup:

I'm in Scotland so not sure how it works with nannies up here. Sure I read somewhere you have to register with an agency to be able to receive vouchers. I think they have used a nanny before as she seemed to know a bit about how it works.

I'd rather be a CM but if I'm going to be better off being a self employed nanny then I'd do that too. I just don't want to have wasted time and money registering as a CM.

The Juggler
03-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm in Scotland so not sure how it works with nannies up here. Sure I read somewhere you have to register with an agency to be able to receive vouchers. I think they have used a nanny before as she seemed to know a bit about how it works.

I'd rather be a CM but if I'm going to be better off being a self employed nanny then I'd do that too. I just don't want to have wasted time and money registering as a CM.

ooh sorry hon, not sure how it works in Scotland.

sprinkles
03-04-2013, 10:45 AM
ooh sorry hon, not sure how it works in Scotland.

I asked on another forum. I don't think you have to register as a nanny, you have to do it with an agency. So I'm not actually registered but the agency is, iykwim?

Just looked at her email again and she said it would maybe be better to do it as me being a childminder and then it's official etc. but maybe go between being at theirs and mine? Can you do that if you're a CM? I will mention taking on other children once the eldest is at school to her and see what she says but I don't think I'd be comfortable taking someone else's children to her house. I don't mind doing it while I've only got their children but I don't know where I stand with doing this if I'm a CM?

I think they use a CM at the moment so I'd be interested to know what they're currently paying as I think they are living in the city at the moment so rates are much higher than here.

mummyMia
03-04-2013, 01:55 PM

I don't think you can be a self-employed nanny, especially if you only work for one family. There have been countless threads about this on mumsnet and the concensus is that a nanny working for a single family must be employed. Otherwise you would fall foul of HMRC rules. There is some information on this link:

Can I be self-employed? | Advice | Nannies (http://www.nannytax.co.uk/can-i-be-self-employed)

sprinkles
03-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't think you can be a self-employed nanny, especially if you only work for one family. There have been countless threads about this on mumsnet and the concensus is that a nanny working for a single family must be employed. Otherwise you would fall foul of HMRC rules. There is some information on this link:

Can I be self-employed? | Advice | Nannies (http://www.nannytax.co.uk/can-i-be-self-employed)

Thank you :)

The Juggler
03-04-2013, 02:29 PM

that is not my understanding but best to check with HMRC. After all you could work for 1 family for 3 days and another for the rest of the week.