PDA

View Full Version : So annoyed...bullying, right or wrong?

SammyL
03-04-2013, 06:45 AM
A parent has dropped lo off this morning & we had chat as usual.
She questioned whether or not we go out - I said yes, lots. She said 'oh when I ask X what he's done in the day he just says nothing or can't remember'...what do you expect from a 2.5yr old??

She then told me that she hears about whether her son has got into full time school nursery this month & we started talking about schools. There's only 2 I want my lo to go to next year but she questioned why & I said bullying is high in the other schools. She then said 'well I think it does them some good' I just looked at her & said oh, I see it from the opposite side & was bullied & it did me no good at all.'
She said 'it toughens them up' - this attitude might explain why her son is so mean & aggressive!
She asked what Id do if he never got into those schools - I just said I'd move as I want my lo to go to school in A different borough anyway, it would just mean moving sooner than planned. There's a school where all children have to have the same clothes, shoes, bags, pencil cases etc & this might be extreme but I love this idea.

Anyone else think bullying is a god thing?

FussyElmo
03-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Well that is certainly a new way of looking at it :eek:

And that's left me pretty speechless :eek:

shortstuff
03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
I am so against bullying in any form.

I think if the lo's aggressive behaviour becomes too bad they would be given notice as the parent will obviously encourage it rather than correct the lo.

watgem
03-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Poor little one is all I can say am speechless too!

Becci26
03-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Oh dear! I have heard this before unfortunately, not the best attitude to have...!

Ur comment about the school all having to wear the same etc made me smile :-) where we live all the schools wear uniform and it's the norm and personally I like it that way.

In my naivety I thought nearly all the schools in the uk were the same!? (I think of it as being an American thing) clearly I need to get out more!

Shamai
03-04-2013, 07:27 AM
What a strange thing for her to say, unbelievable. I will not tolerate bullying in any form and would be unable to care for a child whose mum had views like this. I would be sitting down and having a serious chat with her about the subject :thumbsup:

As for her questioning whether you go out or not maybe you could send her some photos of some activities you do through the day with her lo, sounds like she is after more information from you. x

leeanne910
03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
What worries me is i would do everything i can to protect my child from bullying i kno what i should do and also what schools must do and also where to.go if they are doin nothing. I have been on anti bullying training so.many times working as outreach worker or support worker in childrens centres. Also i have delivered training and workshops to parents.

Worries.me that what would happen to her child if they were bullied. Leave them? Not be there for them? Could u imagine how that would feel. Especialy if u were insecure or self esteem.so low...as they grow...ohhh i hate it..

mama2three
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
A long time ago someone gave me a tip when my sons told me they had done 'nothing' or 'cant remember'.
What have you done today is an overwhelming question for a tot - they have dome so much , - try telling someone what you have 'done today' , organise all your thoughts and go through everything - it would be almost impossible for us yet alone a 2 year old!
Tell her to try asking what was the favoutite thing they have done today. It works! I always got an answer , and quite often the conversation expanded til I had heard all about their day.
As for the bullying - I dont think it does children any good to totally wrap them in cotton wool - but bullying is wrong. No grey areas , just wrong!

clareelizabeth1
03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm with you and thinking of moving due to the school in my village having a big bully problem. The head teacher just doesn't care and does nothing about it. The worst thing is as its a village the bullying goes on in all the clubs and other activities as its all the same children. I must say that when one little girl is off it all stops.

So although I know the little girl will be gone by the time my son goes to school I just don't like the thought of sending him to a school with a head teacher who don't care.

angeldelight
03-04-2013, 08:25 AM
She's obviously never had the misfortune to have been on the receiving end of a bully or to see someone close or family friends being bullied

I think most of us know someone who's been affected by a bully and it's heartbreaking and destroys lives

Someone who can be so flippant really does not have a clue

Angel xx

The Juggler
03-04-2013, 08:35 AM
an awful attitude :panic:

Nicola Carlyle
03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
I wonder how mum would feel if she had/has been bullied. God forbid it happens to her babies. What can awful attitude to have. x

jo.jo76
03-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Maybe Mum doesn't really understand what it means to have been bullied or the devastating consequences it can lead to , and probably won't understand until she's experienced it herself or her child does. I think all school can have bullying, it depends on how the schools deal with it, one of our local secondary schools was a good school a few years ago, strict uniform etc. Now with a different head teacher it is in special measures because of the extent of bullying!

harleyrider
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I little gobsmacked at the beliefs of some people :'(:-(

Ripeberry
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I always wondered where 'bullies' came from. Now that mum is the answer. Bad, aggressive behaviour is first learned at home. Poor child, seems like she has it all mapped out for him :(