PDA

View Full Version : Updating admin of medicine policy and was wondering about cough meds

nipper
02-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Is this still valid, as I know it's from way back in 2008, but it certainly got me thinking.

Cough medicine banned for children under two as 100 remedies are taken off the shelves | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-546909/Cough-medicine-banned-children-100-remedies-taken-shelves.html)

Could I still give this to my parents?

FussyElmo
02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I thought it was for under 6s that you shouldnt give cough medicine too.

TAZ
02-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I don't provide cough medicine for mindees (as I would paracetemol if there was a medical need). If a parent provided it for a specific illness then I would get them to record when the last dose was given & sign the medicines book, then follow the directions on the packaging as I would with any other medication.

My understanding is that these medicines are a problem because they are overused to soothe a child. As the article states, "None of the remedies has been shown to be dangerous when used correctly."

May be a good idea to provide article to parents if you feel they are using cough medicines too regularly or for prolonged periods of time.

sarah707
03-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Any medication must be prescribed - by doctor, dentist, nurse, pharmacist etc. So when you take the medication off the parent you should ask the question - who has prescribed this medicine?

If the parent has just picked it up off the shelf without advice then you should not give it to the child.

It is clarified in this factsheet :D

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Giving medication to children in registered childcare (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare)

nipper
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Thank you Sarah. Just what I needed. Now parents won't really have a leg to stand on!

smurfette
04-04-2013, 07:05 AM
They don't sell cough medicine for under 2s here in Ireland just can't get it. Have a friend who is a dr and she never buys it. Uses Manuka honey says it is just as effective