PDA

View Full Version : too young??

BeckyStephenie
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Ive already applied but am worried that 23 is too young to be a childminder? i dont know if my age would put parents off? wanted to see some of your opinions (I have a L3 in childcare, in my last stages of finishing my early childhood degree and have a 2 year old daughter)

Rick
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Ive already applied but am worried that 23 is too young to be a childminder? i dont know if my age would put parents off? wanted to see some of your opinions (I have a L3 in childcare, in my last stages of finishing my early childhood degree and have a 2 year old daughter)

No it's not too young. Having a good rapport with the children and parents and being good at your job is the most important thing for the parents at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

Bicky
02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Age wouldn't put me off at all, Go for it

Kerry84
02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
No it's certainly not too young ;)

Nicola Carlyle
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't think your to young at all. I'm 30 now and only started childminding last year. I was recommended to a current parent by a friend last September and the parents response was "oh is that the young one?" Lol. I'm pleased to say it did make me chuckle. I now have the little boy and will be taking on sibling in two weeks time lol. I am currently working towards to my level 3 so you already have more of an idea of what you are doing lol. I'd say if its something you want to do then do it. I wish I had started it years ago. xxx

sprinkles
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm 23 and just going through the registration process. I also know another minder who was about 21 when she registered (she's same age as me).

Age shouldn't factor, it's how well you can look after the children that matters.

BeckyStephenie
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Thank you for all of your posts! Its made me a lot less paranoid lol! how long does the whole registration process usually take? xx

suziealderton
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Thank you for all of your posts! Its made me a lot less paranoid lol! how long does the whole registration process usually take? xx

i think from ofsted receiving your application forms they have 12 weeks to process it all x

sprinkles
02-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Are you in England? I'm in Scotland and it can take up to 6 months from applying til registered.

Not sure about England though.

The Juggler
02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
No it's not too young. Having a good rapport with the children and parents and being good at your job is the most important thing for the parents at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

absolutely I agree. what would put me off a minder is if I thought they didn't have the enthusiasm or energy for the job - and I'm guessing that at your age you will have piles of both :)

BeckyStephenie
02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
England :)! and thank you very much x

Becci26
02-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Def not too young :-)

I am 27 and have been registered for a year and a half, I had my dd at 18 and worried when I was starting out that people would judge me for having been a teen mum.
No one did, and I was full up very quickly so needn't have stressed about it!

step11
02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm also 23, it's not about your age but your maturity.

freckleonear
02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm 24, so definitely not too young in my opinion! There was an 18 year old on my course but there's no way as a parent I would use her, because she simply didn't have the life experience. I think having your own children makes a big difference. :)

Becci26
02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm 24, so definitely not too young in my opinion! There was an 18 year old on my course but there's no way as a parent I would use her, because she simply didn't have the life experience. I think having your own children makes a big difference. :)

This!

There is a cm locally that is a bit younger than me who doesn't have her own children nor experience (although her mum was a cm so she was used to being around lo's I guess)
We registered at similar times and it took her much longer to get her first mindee.

I def think it makes a huge difference having the life experience

BeckyStephenie
02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I suppose if i was to think of it from my perspective i would much prefer someone who had the experience of being a mum over a qualification, i was just being silly lol :blush: thank you for all your replies, its restored my confidence! :thumbsup:

Jenna
02-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm 27 and alot younger than alot of childminders in my area my son is 2 and previously I was a nursery manager in a private nursery no one has ever questioned my age however I do sometimes feel the other childminders speak down to me thinking I haven't as much experience as them but I've just got used to it. A lot of my parent chose me because of my age so it has its pros too.

jelly jiggles
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I started minding when I was 19. Had my own child age almost 1. I have always been as good as full and I had no experience working with children until I started the job. I'm now 25. I never Had any 1 not want to leave their children with me because of my age. Don't worry you will be fine and despite all our ranting it is a wonderful job. X

Ripeberry
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Age has nothing to do with it. It's how you come across. And you have first hand experience of being a mum yourself. Which in itself is a qualification :thumbsup:

littletreasures
02-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I was 21 when I started minding and my daughter was 1.

I have now been doing it for 23 years and have only needed to advertise twice in that time. All the children came from recommendations and word of mouth.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

Lottie
02-04-2013, 06:37 PM
No you're not too young and you're already a Mum. I would use the fact you have youth on your side to your advantage too (i.e boundless energy, enthusiasm etc). If I were looking for childcare I would think that an asset. :thumbsup:

greanan
02-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm 22 and been doing this for over two years. I have no children of my own either. I'm totally full with a waiting list so my age has made no difference. In fact, all my parents are young aswell, if that has anything to so with it?!!

kel1983
03-04-2013, 08:31 AM
I started childminding at the age of 27. I didn't and still don't have my own children. I didn't have any childcare qualifications but I was a carer for my sisters children until her husband unfortunately lost his job and became stay at home dad. I chose childminding as it was something I enjoyed doing. It was a little slow to start with. I started with a couple of part timers then 18 months ago My mum joined me. She had 35 years experience in childcare, lots of qualifications and we have been full ever since. We have so many recommendations from people we know and families we have had over the years.

I'm not sure if the fact I had no previous childcare experience put parents off or whether it was the fact I was a new childminder. I do however know that inquiries are just like buses. You wait around for ages and 2 come along at once.

Good luck in the future. Hope you dont have to wait too long