PDA

View Full Version : Would this count as continuity of care?

Mouse
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I have been asked to do some evening respite care in a child's own home - basically babysitting, but they want a registered childminder to do it.

Having spoken to the child's guardian, they have mentioned that they might at times in the future need daytime care (childminding) to cover appointment times etc. If childcare was needed on days when I already have 3 EYs children, would I be able to grant myself an exception citing continuity of care as the child is used to having me as a carer in the evenings?

What are your thoughts?

The Juggler
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
i don't think so hon. However, what you could do is have an ad hoc contract for minding and sitting and mind the child first time in your home on a day you have a space (if you do have a day with space) then when you do need to do a day when you are full it becomes continuity of care.

Mouse
02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I didn't think it would count as continuity of care, but stranger things have happened :laughing:

I do have the odd half days when I have a vacancy, so I'll offer those.

ChocolateChip
02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
If you don't mind me posting on your thread Mouse, same question- different scenario.

Say I had a space free one day which was booked by a new customer as a one off on an ad hoc basis, then one of my regulars also wanted the same day as extra hours, would that count as continuity as technically the last person in was already existing?
Or would it be seen as new business :confused:

jackie 7
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
I would have thought it was continuity of care.

Nicola Carlyle
02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I would be tempted to say it does count as continuity of care. If you are already looking after this child (regardless weather it be in your home or theirs) then is say yes. This child is part of your business as they will have contracts, medical forms filled out etc therefore you are continuing to care should the demands of parents jobs, lifestyle change.

The Juggler
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
If you don't mind me posting on your thread Mouse, same question- different scenario.

Say I had a space free one day which was booked by a new customer as a one off on an ad hoc basis, then one of my regulars also wanted the same day as extra hours, would that count as continuity as technically the last person in was already existing?
Or would it be seen as new business :confused:

yes that would be continuity of care then.

blue bear
02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Mouse, I think you should take more guidance ask a d/o or even try ofsted (sometimes you do get to speak to people who think rather than just refer you back to eyfs).if it was straight forward childminding, You will look after the child evenings and if parent asks for the odd day time to cover an appointment you could grant a variation as continuity of care, the problem in your case is that you are caring for the child in it own home not yours so can it be counted as cont of care?

Personally i Would argue it is cont of care but don't actually know if I am right.

shortstuff
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
As you mention it being respite care does the child have special needs? If so have you given any thought to being able to attend to those needs with other EY LO's around?

Whether a variation is in play or not I would say this should be your first obligation.