PDA

View Full Version : childminding children at creche

Memina
01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey hope you're having a nice break.

Just wondering what the general feeling is with leaving minded children at a crèche.

My children's centre is running some good courses and are offering a creche. Also when I mentioned it to parents one said oh yeah if you want to go to the gym you can leave x for a short while.

Pls dont shoot me down was just curious

Mouse
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
At one time it was acceptable to leave minded children in a crèche while you attended relevant training courses, but it wasn't allowed for the gym etc.

I'm not sure what current rules are, but i cant imagine it's changed much.

blue bear
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
How does that work with the revised eyfs saying they have to be in our sight or hearing at all times?

moggy
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
How does that work with the revised eyfs saying they have to be in our sight or hearing at all times?

Mmm, but you can take child and leave them at playgroup/nursery and still be paid and minding them.

Is difference that the playgroup/nursery is arranged and chosen by the parent for the benefit of the child, and if you asked to leave mindee at a creche while you do a course etc then that is primarily for your benefit not the direct benefit of the child? (indirect, I know, as CPD!).

To be honest, I am not sure but instinct tells me no, do not do it, does not feel right. Others may have other views...

bunyip
01-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Hmmm.....

Let's say for one moment that the creche is a bona fide EY setting (which I'm thinking it probably is, cos Ofsted inspect Children's Centres as such) and you have permission from the parent to leave the child there. Is that not pretty much the same as dropping the child at another EY setting (e.g. pre-school) and collecting them later? Especially if the CM agrees not to charge the parent for the lo's time in creche?

After all, they're not in sight/hearing whilst at pre-school and some CMs charge for that time, so might technically be said to be responsible for the lo.

Hmmm..... :)

FussyElmo
01-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I suppose the difference is that you not the parent wishes the child to use the creche.

Is it acceptable well we are encouraged to do training and at least this way the parents are not having to look for altenative childcare.

Will the powers that be see it like this well who knows doubtful if they do.

ChocolateChip
01-04-2013, 10:14 PM
I have put mindees into a creche before, along with my own dd when I have attended a course run by the children's centre.
I got written permission by way of a form I made up, wrote up a policy and made sure the parents understood that during that time the children were in the care of the centre workers and that they were insured, first aid trained etc., which they were of course, like any other setting. I was just downstairs so on hand in case I was needed, none of the parents at the time had a problem with this and were fine with the arrangements, obv. if one of them hadn't been then I wouldn't have done the course.
I also made a point of explaining that if their child suddenly became ill they would still be on call the same as if it happened at my house and that they would be happy to come to the next town to collect if necessary, but we never had any incidents so all was well.
I wouldn't do it to go to the gym, as I see that as purely for personal benefit but for relevant training I don't see a problem with it.
Btw the creche was free but if there had been a charge I would have paid it myself, just like when I put a child into lunch club at nursery on occasion.

Helen Dempster
02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I've left minded children in the school creche before, as it was my own DS's play and they don't allow younger siblings. I spoke to the parents about it and they were fine, I wrote a letter with their permission and got them to sign. I don't think I would do this if I wanted to, say, go to the gym though. I think also with courses, I would probably take a morning/day off and do this.

christine e
02-04-2013, 10:19 AM
If you are a member of PACEY you can access a creche policy via the Members Area - this does say only to be used so that you can access training and for a maximum of two and a half hours, four sessions a months - maximum of 8 sessions a year. It does say not to be used for leisure purposes.