PDA

View Full Version : Questioning my decision

sprinkles
31-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm really questioning my decision of becoming a childminder at the moment. I know it can take months to get little ones lined up but I've had three enquiries so far, two of which have chosen the local nursery instead. I'm all over Facebook but guess it's just a waiting game.

I had my pre reg inspection nearly a month ago and despite numerous emails and phone calls trying to contact my inspector, I've heard nothing back. I'm not sure which step to take now if she's not going to get back to me? I spoke to a different person a fortnight ago who told me my inspector was off sick for two days (she had also been on holiday for a fortnight but all attempts of contact have been since she returned) and that she only had my report to write up which she expected she would do last week. I emailed her last week but still no reply?!

I've spent loads of money doing up the play room etc but I'm starting to feel like I've wasted my time and money. I'm starting to question my ability to even do the job. There are about 12 other childminders in the area already and it's not a huge town.

Just feeling a bit "meh" about the whole thing at the moment.

The Juggler
31-03-2013, 09:39 PM
hon, sorry that you are not having a good experience. I would call ofsted again this week and explain that you are not happy about the lapse of time between inspection and gettign your certificate and htat you've not been able to get any information from anyone.

It may be that because you've not got your certificate this is putting people off? Keep at it with advertising etc, get yourself known at the local playgroups and children's centres.

Let us know how you get on with ofsted.

sprinkles
31-03-2013, 09:46 PM
hon, sorry that you are not having a good experience. I would call ofsted again this week and explain that you are not happy about the lapse of time between inspection and gettign your certificate and htat you've not been able to get any information from anyone.

It may be that because you've not got your certificate this is putting people off? Keep at it with advertising etc, get yourself known at the local playgroups and children's centres.

Let us know how you get on with ofsted.

I'm actually in Scotland but will get back onto them again. How hard is it to send a quick email stating where she's at though? I've emailed her about 5 times in the last few weeks asking for updates.

One enquiry was for starting August but they've gone with nursery, the other was for starting April which was fine as my inspector told me I would be registered in March but this isn't the case so they've had to find alternative arrangements. As far as I'm aware I have two little ones starting in July but it's only one day a week.

I've just realised it's actually nearly 2 months since I had my pre reg inspection (I had it mid February). Getting beyond a joke now.

I work full time at the moment so can't get to any groups at the moment.

blue bear
31-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I find word of mouth the best way to get business, do you go to toddlers, children centres etc if you have no children of your own ask if you can go and volunteer whilst you are there tell everyone you are registering as a childminder. Make friends with other childminders ask them to pass your number on if they get enquiries they cannot do offer to cover holiday and sick leave for them. do you have a vacancy holder in your area you can give your number to (here its a childminder who tries to match up what parents need with the vacancies childminders have)

Chase chase and chase ofsted, he who shouts loudest gets seen to first.

The Juggler
31-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm actually in Scotland but will get back onto them again. How hard is it to send a quick email stating where she's at though? I've emailed her about 5 times in the last few weeks asking for updates.

One enquiry was for starting August but they've gone with nursery, the other was for starting April which was fine as my inspector told me I would be registered in March but this isn't the case so they've had to find alternative arrangements. As far as I'm aware I have two little ones starting in July but it's only one day a week.

I've just realised it's actually nearly 2 months since I had my pre reg inspection (I had it mid February). Getting beyond a joke now.

I work full time at the moment so can't get to any groups at the moment.

i would phone again tommorrow. Ask to go through to someone in a management role. Tell them because you've had to wait so long you have lost a possible job and what do they intend to do about it and that you feel you should make a formal complaint about how the process has been handled. I don't know but in scotland, how long will it normally take between pre-reg inspection and getting your certificate?

i hope you get it sorted hon.

sprinkles
31-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I find word of mouth the best way to get business, do you go to toddlers, children centres etc if you have no children of your own ask if you can go and volunteer whilst you are there tell everyone you are registering as a childminder. Make friends with other childminders ask them to pass your number on if they get enquiries they cannot do offer to cover holiday and sick leave for them. do you have a vacancy holder in your area you can give your number to (here its a childminder who tries to match up what parents need with the vacancies childminders have)

Chase chase and chase ofsted, he who shouts loudest gets seen to first.

I work full time at the moment so can't get to toddlers etc. we do have a Facebook group where we post enquiries we can't accommodate though.

I'll try tomorrow, not sure if they will be open with bank holiday but I'll try anyway.

sprinkles
31-03-2013, 10:00 PM
i would phone again tommorrow. Ask to go through to someone in a management role. Tell them because you've had to wait so long you have lost a possible job and what do they intend to do about it and that you feel you should make a formal complaint about how the process has been handled. I don't know but in scotland, how long will it normally take between pre-reg inspection and getting your certificate?

i hope you get it sorted hon.

I'd say generally a month, if that. I'll try again tomorrow and see what they say.

bunyip
01-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Don't rely entirely on FB or other online advertising. Sure, some guy in Manchuria can go on FB and see you have vacancies, but the mum round the corner who's desperate for childcare may still be totally oblivious to your existence. (I know I would be, cos I don't 'do' 4rsebook :rolleyes: .)

sprinkles
01-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Don't rely entirely on FB or other online advertising. Sure, some guy in Manchuria can go on FB and see you have vacancies, but the mum round the corner who's desperate for childcare may still be totally oblivious to your existence. (I know I would be, cos I don't 'do' 4rsebook :rolleyes: .)

I'm on childcare.co.uk, netmums, gumtree etc too. I actually got an enquiry from someone who doesn't use facebook because I have her friend as a friend on there and she passed my details onto her.

As I've said, I work full time so can't get to toddler groups etc at the moment. Not allowed to put posters etc up so not much else I can do.

Rick
01-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Agree with everything that's been said. I got my certificate and sat back thinking the phone would start ringing but it didn't, I went to play groups every day, passed business cards around, advertised on every website I could find, made up a website of my own, wrote posts on our local Bath website. The posts were picked up my the editor of that website and was invited to write an article for them which was emailed to 2300 people in Bath and posted on their website. I've even had a visit from a Doctor/professor or something like that from Bath Uni who wanted to do research on me being a male childminder.

I'm not suggesting you can do all of that but it just highlights what lengths you sometimes have to go to, to get noticed. I am now full and happy with the children I have. Admittedly I found it harder than most being an independent male childminder but I worked hard to get noticed and it's paid off!

And badger Ofsted, because my certificate didn't arrive for weeks and it was all because the inspector didn't pass on the info that I had done my first aid so they were waiting for me and I was waiting for them!

Good luck and don't give up! :thumbsup:

sprinkles
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks Rick. I'm actually in Scotland so don't have to have done first aid etc before registering (although I have). I've badgered them loads and was told from my records it's just the report needing done but I've still never had a reply to any of my emails and it's been nearly 2 months since pre reg inspection.

sprinkles
02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Well I rang again earlier and was told my inspector was finished for the day and the lady couldn't tell me anything because it is with the inspector now and she doesn't know where she's at with it. All she can do is send the email that the lady I spoke to nearly a fortnight ago sent her!! Bearing in mind I also emailed her again on Wednesday.

It's been over 7 weeks since my pre registration inspection and I've heard nothing from my inspector for over 5 weeks.

It's going to be a call to the head office tomorrow I think!!!

shortstuff
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Keep chasing, as frustrating as it is. It will all be worth it in the end.

With regards to more enquiries have you thought of doing a leaflet drop in your area?

I know a lot of parents would like to see that you are proactive. Also think of the benefits for you, fresh air and a good walk.

Rick
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Keep chasing, as frustrating as it is. It will all be worth it in the end.

With regards to more enquiries have you thought of doing a leaflet drop in your area?

I know a lot of parents would like to see that you are proactive. Also think of the benefits for you, fresh air and a good walk.

Yep agree with that. Being proactive is the only way. People in the community have to get to know you. So that means leaflet drops, going to play groups to hand out cards etc. I know you said you were working full time but at some point you will need to give up that work in order to childmind anyway so are you able to reduce your workload in order to put your efforts into childminding because it can take some time to find children and you need to get yourself known to potential parents.

Certainly things you can do outside work time is leaflet dropping and getting yourself on every website you can find (type in 'childminder' or 'childminder and <your town>' into Google, as this is what potential parents are likely to do; hopefully they will then find you!)

suziealderton
02-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Agree with everything that's been said. I got my certificate and sat back thinking the phone would start ringing but it didn't, I went to play groups every day, passed business cards around, advertised on every website I could find, made up a website of my own, wrote posts on our local Bath website. The posts were picked up my the editor of that website and was invited to write an article for them which was emailed to 2300 people in Bath and posted on their website. I've even had a visit from a Doctor/professor or something like that from Bath Uni who wanted to do research on me being a male childminder.

I'm not suggesting you can do all of that but it just highlights what lengths you sometimes have to go to, to get noticed. I am now full and happy with the children I have. Admittedly I found it harder than most being an independent male childminder but I worked hard to get noticed and it's paid off!

And badger Ofsted, because my certificate didn't arrive for weeks and it was all because the inspector didn't pass on the info that I had done my first aid so they were waiting for me and I was waiting for them!

Good luck and don't give up! :thumbsup:

thats a pretty impressive story x

Rick
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
thats a pretty impressive story x

It just kind of happened really, I didn't have to write the article but you can't buy that sort of advertising, being emailed to 2300 in Bath with a population of only about 80,000! The council picked it up, then Bath Uni. Can't say I've got a huge number of enquiries directly from it but it can't hurt! :D

Carolc
02-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Sprinkles what area are you in I'm in kirkintilloch, it took a week for me to get my letter to sign and send back. I would be calling them every day. Th officer that was supposed to come out for inspection went off long term sick so i had to keep phoning to find out if they had assigned me to another officer. Keep at them Xxx