PDA

View Full Version : Early years app or 2simple??

jax clinch
31-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I am interested in setting up online records for my mindees parents but before doing so would appreciate some feedback about using either the early years app or 2simple app..... Or any others that people use!!! Which app do people use please and what are the pros and cons of them?? Thank you x

shortstuff
31-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Have you looked at babys days yet? I use it and love it :-) hth

allison
31-03-2013, 10:10 PM
i use PRAMS and i find it very easy to use

KatieFS
31-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I use orbit (early years app) for about 2 months now. I feel so much happier doing something on line as for first time ever all my LJs are up to date! I know one of my three parents who I have mind for def uses it. One hasn't bothered responding to email yet (but then I think they prob wont bother with paper one anyway) and one not sure if they have looked. It's the old problem of parents not participating, but you have that whatever the method.
It took me a while to get my head around how to use it, but after a few weeks of adding observations etc I feel confident with it now.

suziealderton
31-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Have you looked at babys days yet? I use it and love it :-) hth

this is the one im thinking of using x

shortstuff
31-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I find it useful in lots of ways. Have you tried the free trial?

jadavi
31-03-2013, 10:57 PM
I love 2simple for observations linking to eyes feb matters

jadavi
31-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Sorry ... I mean - linking to eyfs development matters ...

loocyloo
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
i've just put 2simple on my phone, but apart from sending me the photo, i can't work out HOW to write anything or say which child! and as i can email myself or parent photo anyway not sure it will be any use! i thought it might be helpful for when i am out & about!

suziealderton
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I find it useful in lots of ways. Have you tried the free trial?

i am just starting out-pre reg is on wednesday so its on my list of things to do x

shortstuff
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Good luck with it all. I have used the system since i began so have nothing to compare it to but have found it brill. If i had to do all the stuff it does individually i would be at my computer for much longer each day.

jadavi
01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
OK here are the steps...
(It is worth it!)

edit the 'class and learners' button with your mindee's name
go to that class page (child's name on left, camera lens on rt)
click camera lens.
click cancel when it takes you to your camera and select 'choose from gallery' for a pic you've taken.
When this comes up scroll thru your pics and select it ('choose') click back to go back
click yellow square 'new experience' to the left and write as much as you like for the observation and next steps boxes.(you can edit your own box titles - I put one in 'parents' comments')
click finished after.
(Dont bother about 'add learners' as that's other kids in the class_)
click 'add objectives'
choose early years from sept 2012
choose which eyfs category and select which achievemnts or outcomes you are evidencing.
use the 'up' button on the left to go back to objectives menu and select as many as you like from all the different areas (nb. it only prints about ten then stops)
When ready click 'back' to get back to your home page.
click options for if you need to change the date.
click back to get to your home page for the mindee
click bottom right blue arrow button
email yourself report!!
go back and click photo experience

click options to delete report!

The reason why I have spent ten minutes writing this with my phone app beside me is - it is so brilliant! the report looks fab, the objectives from dev. matters are so easy and it is so quick. I stick it in the LJ and the parents write on it or I write what they tell me when they see it ie 'yes he does this at home too@

I agree it is not easy to work out but well worth persisting with.

The app owner is really helpful too and replies the same day.

good luck. ask again if you get stuck.

zippy
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Orbit free and fab, saves me tons of time

Wheelybug
01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Out of Orbit and 2Simple I definitely prefer Orbit. I found this one easier to link to the developmental matters. Several c/ms in my area now use Orbit. As well as being free, all agree it saves lots of time.

Cathy.
Pre-school Play (http://www.pre-schoolplay.blogspot.com)

lizduncan72
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
I use 2simple as its the only one that has the Scottish curriculum for excellence on it :) I prefer the look of orbit but it's only got EYFS. I think these companies forget that there are childminders in Scotland too!!!

loocyloo
01-04-2013, 08:08 PM
OK here are the steps...
(It is worth it!)

edit the 'class and learners' button with your mindee's name
go to that class page (child's name on left, camera lens on rt)
click camera lens.
click cancel when it takes you to your camera and select 'choose from gallery' for a pic you've taken.
When this comes up scroll thru your pics and select it ('choose') click back to go back
click yellow square 'new experience' to the left and write as much as you like for the observation and next steps boxes.(you can edit your own box titles - I put one in 'parents' comments')
click finished after.
(Dont bother about 'add learners' as that's other kids in the class_)
click 'add objectives'
choose early years from sept 2012
choose which eyfs category and select which achievemnts or outcomes you are evidencing.
use the 'up' button on the left to go back to objectives menu and select as many as you like from all the different areas (nb. it only prints about ten then stops)
When ready click 'back' to get back to your home page.
click options for if you need to change the date.
click back to get to your home page for the mindee
click bottom right blue arrow button
email yourself report!!
go back and click photo experience

click options to delete report!

The reason why I have spent ten minutes writing this with my phone app beside me is - it is so brilliant! the report looks fab, the objectives from dev. matters are so easy and it is so quick. I stick it in the LJ and the parents write on it or I write what they tell me when they see it ie 'yes he does this at home too@

I agree it is not easy to work out but well worth persisting with.

The app owner is really helpful too and replies the same day.

good luck. ask again if you get stuck.

thank you! i have found most of the above, but struggling to get my phone to 'edit learner' so i can put mindees name in box! have emailed the app owner, so will watch and wait! :)

jax clinch
01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Out of Orbit and 2Simple I definitely prefer Orbit. I found this one easier to link to the developmental matters. Several c/ms in my area now use Orbit. As well as being free, all agree it saves lots of time.

Cathy.
Pre-school Play (http://www.pre-schoolplay.blogspot.com)

Hello is there an app for the iPad for orbit? Can't see one but don't know if it goes under another name. Thanks

KatieFS
02-04-2013, 07:10 AM
With orbit. I've found I can't do some administration using my I phone I have to go to my computer. There is a really good help section, with you tube videos which helps you get set up and understand how to use it
It's totally worth it, it is such a good feeling to be up to date!

Buttonsjan
02-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Orbit, I don't think my parents like the look of their learning journey too much but I think it's fab.

zippy
02-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Orbit App is for iPhone, although if on app I just go through safari, or you can get iPhone app on iPad just select iPhone tab when searching app. Safari allows you to do more though just like on laptop.

zippy
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Orbit, I don't think my parents like the look of their learning journey too much but I think it's fab.

Parents get a totally different view from us, I have registered as a parent on one of mine and parents view is fab, just a stream of large photos in effect with any assessments hidden under a little button under photo that they can read if they choose to.

Kellyann36
23-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Out of curiosity, are these apps safe confidentiality wise? As in are they proper reliable companies and not somebody creating apps to access photos of children??

Would be interested in using one but first I'd need to be sure it's safe x

jadavi
24-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Well I delete mine the minute I use them so I think they are. It's not like they're stored for a long time anywhere. But I guess the people generating the report could keep them - I have no idea how you could possibly check that. I know schools use it and it has rave reviews

Kellyann36
24-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Well I delete mine the minute I use them so I think they are. It's not like they're stored for a long time anywhere. But I guess the people generating the report could keep them - I have no idea how you could possibly check that. I know schools use it and it has rave reviews

I guess you couldn't be sure unless they had been reported for something. I quite like the idea of trying one though