PDA

View Full Version : Hand crafted childminding resources. Would people buy do you think?

Star
30-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi, i don't know if I'm in the right place to post this, so please let me know if i should post else where. I would value any feed back on my new idea, so as I don't venture down the wrong road. I was thinking of making and selling childminding resources. Not paperwork, not policies, forms, etc. but handmade items such as a planning board that is used with the children showing days of the week and activities that can be added and removed by child or adult. Something that could look nice in the home but be practical? Also interactive, self registering register. Weather board. Magnet for fridge to record temp. Learning journey scrap books with loose leaf pages, to look like a keepsake but linked to the EYFS, Box labels, personalised cards, and much much more, infact any ideas would be welcome. None of these would be just printed laminated pages as I have seen many of, but hand crafted items. Do you think childminders would be interested in buying? Or nannys, homeschooling, nurseries etc? Any feedback welcome, positive or negative. Many thanks :)

Star
30-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Hello ladies, does anyone ave an opinion as to whether childminders would be interested in these. Any feedback at all is welcome. Thank you. :)

mummyMia
30-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm curious to know what this interactive self-registering register is, sounds great :D

I think it would all depend on how nice the items look and what price you were selling them for. Some of the ideas sound nice but I'm not sure if I would be willing to spend very much. This year I am trying to be a lot more careful about keeping tabs on my expenses as last year I spent way too much. :p

Perhaps you could start off with ne or two items and see how they sell. Good luck. :)

clareelizabeth1
30-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm the same as mummyMia it would depend on how nice it looks and also if it was something I couldn't make myself as I like all crafty things and can make most things from wood knitting or sewing.

Price would be a big thing I will pay more for hand made but not loads more. I have to think about where all my money goes.

Star
30-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi ladies, thank you so much for your replies. Mt thinking was on the same lines, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions then somebody else does the same thing and it works. I would kick myself. Yes obviously it would have to cover my costs and ale a little profit. You are right we can get so much free and tweak ourselves or buy laminated versions or buy e books and print. I totally understand and that market is flooded.
The interactive register would be on the lines of many laminated versions. A board where children an choose their own name card or photo and put in the correct pace to register, so this could be a house, train, boat, bus, caravan, etc. the difference would be mine is handcrafted not just paper and laminated so to blend in itch home decor not stand out, so childminders don't feel their house is ring taken over.
I agree many childminders are craft orientated due to working with children, so can make or make with the children.
Do you have any other suggestions of makes instead? My thing not provided at all, that you think if only I had that?
Any thanks, all is taken on board.
I my just stick to making personalised gifts, cards, etc.
What do you think about being able to buy a pretty, scrapbook style learning journey file? Linked to EYFS? Loose leafed so you could buy by the page or sections? :)

Star
30-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Sorry about spellings lol I was not looking at predictive text! Xx

Carolc
30-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I would love a nice scrap book, i don't have a separate room in my house for minding so i use my living room, and don't have space to display the children's work, but if i had nice scrap book the kids could help to stick their photographs in and pictures in for their parents, and future parents to look at, to see the kind of things we do. Like others though it wiukd depend on prices Xxx

Star
30-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi Carolc, thank you for feedback. At this point I have made nothing. Just a vision. So gathering ideas and feedback. Then I can make and show some pieces. I want a few items in mind. Then I can make and cost. I'm not looking at making huge profits. My idea was to make a childminders day easier and home look nice whilst working from home. Plenty of people sell paperwork and laminated stuff, but not and crafted things aimed at childminders.
So from your post a scrap book for your setting rather than an individual child's? To show prospective parents and ofsted?
What would you be prepared to pay as a guide to pricing?
Many thanks? :)

Star
30-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi Carolc, if you had a board which was decorative that you could put up with planning, register, fire drill, fridge temp, etc. with changeable magnetic pieces or writable on with chalk would that solve a space problem? I can make this kind of thing to blend in with the home or take down at the end of he day. :)

Carolc
30-03-2013, 12:35 PM
I would pay about £5 a book would also depend on how many pages were in them. But yes a book for setting rather than individual just now. I've only got one mindee at the moment so it would be nice to have for future parents to see Xx