PDA

View Full Version : Parents using tax credits..

Jelly Baby
29-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Didn't want to jump on the other thread and hope ok to start another one but iv'e got a question.

Iv'e got a new mum starting. She signed up on the day for 2 days per week only in the holidays. She asked me for my reg number which is on the contract and that was that. I then got a text asking if she could increase to 3 days which is fine.

Yesterday I got a letter from tax credits verifying this mum is using me. Now I have no problem filling it out etc BUT the mum has cancelled one day already and due to bank hols she didn't take them into account so iv'e said i'll charge her half for it. What do you guys put on the form..the weekly amount as you charged it or do you put their has been a change to it and the new amount? If shes getting the money should she pay it to me in full or pay the half fees tell them herself, will they make her pay it back?

Thanks

bunyip
29-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Didn't want to jump on the other thread and hope ok to start another one but iv'e got a question.

Iv'e got a new mum starting. She signed up on the day for 2 days per week only in the holidays. She asked me for my reg number which is on the contract and that was that. I then got a text asking if she could increase to 3 days which is fine.

Yesterday I got a letter from tax credits verifying this mum is using me. Now I have no problem filling it out etc BUT the mum has cancelled one day already and due to bank hols she didn't take them into account so iv'e said i'll charge her half for it. What do you guys put on the form..the weekly amount as you charged it or do you put their has been a change to it and the new amount? If shes getting the money should she pay it to me in full or pay the half fees tell them herself, will they make her pay it back?

Thanks

When a claim is made, HMRC need to know the average weekly cost of childcare. This is explained in their booklet Working Tax Credit - Help with the costs of childcare. Page 11 has a table which shows how to make the proper calculation. The booklet is reference WTC5, available via this link: HM Revenue & Customs: Leaflets on tax credits (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/forms-and-leaflets/leaflets.htm)

This should allow you to estimate what she pays over a period of time, but frankly it will always be an estimate what with bank holidays and a certain degree of chopping and changing.

Hope this helps. :)

Jelly Baby
29-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks I know they do an average and am not going to start going to work it all out for her as I have enough to do and figure shes already told them! I also 'assume' shes going to use me for all holidays BUT maybe its just this one?! BUT

For example:

Say ive charged £60 a week (£20 a day) and that's what tax credits are giving mum..she's cancelled one day so ive charged half so that makes her week now £50? do I put £50 although normally it's £60?! Do the parents just get to keep the half they don't pay?

Had a chat about this last week with some other CM's who were getting cross with parents pocketing money but I don't think they do as surely tax credits can see what ive billed her and she will get asked to pay some back?

This new mum seems really quiet and would hate to scare her off at first hurdle by telling her they are checking amounts so just want to do it right as not had this before.
Thanks

Kiddleywinks
29-03-2013, 11:53 AM
I work out the expected fees for the year, as stated on our contract and this is the figure parents give tax credits.
If there any changes to the contracted rates or hours, it is down to the claimant to notify tax credits of these, so less hours on a regular basis, fees lowered or raised etc.
If a change is made during a tax year that is checked on, I would explain what change was made, when, and how that affected fees.

You can't account for days not attended, refunds you make for whatever reason, additional hours during the tax year, you can only give amounts paid to date, and expected amounts due